Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Grumble Grumble Gripe

My wife and I are planning to build a deck on our house. Pretty much just a plain Jane 12' x 16' deck, but due to our special needs son we're going to make the hand rails 48" high, and I'm going to beef up the posts, beams, and joists to carry the extra weight for a 5' round kiddie pool. Because of the extra lumber, and because of my son's special needs (ie: handicap), my city is charging me an extra $196 for the building permit so they can do additional inspections during the contruction process. Bastages.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Grumble Grumble Gripe

Seems like a lawsuit threat under the Americans with Disabilities Act is in order!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

$196????

Are they supplying the labor to put up the deck?

I think building permits (for our deck and sunroom additions) were around $30.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
Because of the extra lumber, and because of my son's special needs (ie: handicap), my city is charging me an extra $196 for the building permit so they can do additional inspections during the contruction process. Bastages.
What a crock of #*%@ ! There isn't any extra equipment, extra time, extra effort, extra ANYTHING involved in that inspection!!! The inspector looks at the construction methods, bracing, size lumber used, etc no matter what. Are the handrails above X height? Yes. Are the spindles/balusters spaced properly? Yes. Did he use the correct size joists for the span? Yes. On and on like that. No extra questions (that I know of) that need to be answered - to him a deck is a deck and it needs to be inspected, end of story.

Are you installing something extra, like an elevator/lift, that might be the cause for "extra" inspection?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
Are you installing something extra, like an elevator/lift, that might be the cause for "extra" inspection?
No, nothing extra. I'm almost certain my mistake was explaining the reason for the taller than normal handrails. I think they heard "handicapped" and jumped all over it.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

The sounds like a load of crap to me. I would file a formal complaint with who ever runs the city (Mayor, supervisor, ect.).

Good luck with the building. What are you using for your decking?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

How petty.

Maybe not an option, but have you considered different materials other than wood?

Ex. Some places do not require permits for concrete patios but do require permits for the same size wooden deck.

It may be worth checking into. We looked at both options last year and went with the concrete and actually saved money in building materials.