Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Junior

Default Need some advice for some new Golf clubs.

I am not sure if this goes in General or sports so I thought I would try it here first. If it should be moved over to sports by all means please move it.

Well I think it is time to replace my old Ben Hogan forged Edge irons. I am thinking about the Taylor Made R7 irons, and I know a guy so I can get a deal on them. I just wish I could order 5-9 irons, as I have Cleveland 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges. I am also finally thinking about changing over my 3 and 4 irons to hybrids. The two I am looking at are the Callaway Diablo, and the Taylor Made Burner. Has anyone hit hem both, and can tell me the difference.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need some advice for some new Golf clubs.

I got some TaylorMade Burner irons late last year... and I LOVE them. My driver is a TaylorMade R7 Draw. If you can get a good deal, I would say jump on it.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Junior

Looks like I will be looking for shoes as well. I just went in to the garage, and found out that of the 3 pair I have I only have one of each pair. 2 lefts and one right.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Junior

One other thing. My swing speed is between the reg and stiff flex shafts. Should I go ahead and get the stiff shafts?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:33 AM   #5
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I used to use stiff shafts, but unless you think you're going to speed up your swing, I'd go with the regular. Helped when I switched, especially with the driver and woods.

As far as the hybrids go, I'd try some out. Some people swear by them, and others like me who can't hit them, swear at them.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

My advice is to go demo the clubs you are interested in. Last year I pretty much bought a whole new bag and pretty much all the clubs I wanted were just not something I could hit. That is the best advice is to demo the clubs you want and see how you do with them. IMO spending a few extra $$ on clubs that you hit well vs. a good deal saves you a lot of frustration on the golf course.

I have the TM R7 TP's and love the irons. They are one of the best irons I've ever hit, but then again they are not for everyone. Look at the Callaway X-20's(previous model) very good set of irons. Definitely go with the hybrids if you are having trouble with the longer irons. It will make your life easier. I've learned on the golf course that you need to check your ego at the door if you want to be a good player.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:51 AM   #7
mooremedic

Golf clubs are lie cigars, some people like certain ones and others don't....the absolute best thing to do is get fitted for the clubs...that insures the best clubs for YOU. But if I were going to pick off the shelf clubs, you cannot go wrong with taylormade...the burners are good irons, the R7's are good too, just be careful because everyone has them on sale and your "deal" might not be as good as you think....definately go with a hybird and get regular shafts....a local golf course pro shop will at least let you demo different clubs, even if you don't want to spend the money to get fitted. for your shoes, check out a friend of mines ebay store....great deals.
http://frgusa.com/
Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I am not sure if this goes in General or sports so I thought I would try it here first. If it should be moved over to sports by all means please move it.

Well I think it is time to replace my old Ben Hogan forged Edge irons. I am thinking about the Taylor Made R7 irons, and I know a guy so I can get a deal on them. I just wish I could order 5-9 irons, as I have Cleveland 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges. I am also finally thinking about changing over my 3 and 4 irons to hybrids. The two I am looking at are the Callaway Diablo, and the Taylor Made Burner. Has anyone hit hem both, and can tell me the difference.
I'm a golf nut & have tried almost every club out there. My advice is to hit different brands on the range & see what you like. Every golfer has a different preference. Definitely replace your 3&4 irons with hybrids! Cobra Baffler seems to be a popular choice, although I like the Hogan hybrids, myself. Good luck!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I'm a golf nut & have tried almost every club out there. My advice is to hit different brands on the range & see what you like. Every golfer has a different preference. Definitely replace your 3&4 irons with hybrids! Cobra Baffler seems to be a popular choice, although I like the Hogan hybrids, myself. Good luck!
I was always a Hogan fan, until the Callaway buy out. They just didn't seem the same anymore.

I will have to go down, and play around with some of the hybrids. In the past I have been able to hit my 3 and 4 irons fairly well, but will give the hybrids a shot. It seem like everyone that tries them really likes them

As far as the deal. I know they will be genuine what ever brand I choose. My guy works in the pro shop of a touring pros golf course. Year before last he sold me my Scotty Cameron Detour for a song.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough

My suggestion will be the following.

Try as much clubs as possible and have them fit for you.

2 years ago I had my car stolen with all my golf equipment in it. So I had to renew all my equipement throught my insurance cie.

I have a golf shop near my office so I went every lunch time trying clubs, all brand names all shafts all styles... Each lunch I ended with prefered ones that I was putting aside. The week after I went again and tried the one I had selected the week before for final choice (and since in some cases a week had pass they did not felt the same and I am very glad I did not buy them). When I selected my clubs I had them fitted for me.

This took two weeks but:
I had fun doing this
I have no more excuse that my club are not the right ones
I am very confident with them and since golf is very mental it`s really good.
My Handicap dropped of 10 points in one summer (Remember I live north so I don't play during winter).
And at the end I did not felt the commercial pressure of all the big brand names. I was working with what felt good.

I have convince many friend to do the same kind of thing for club selection and they are now very Happy so just wanted to pass the experience.

Good luck with you purchase.

Frenchie
Old 04-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Junior

I may just go on the hunt for a set of Ping eye2 red dots. I had a set of those, and they were the best set clubs I ever owned.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

ok....this is where i can help.....being a golf pro, this is my speciality....

good idea on switching to hy brids, i have one to replace my 3 and 4 iron, why you ask, well there easiers to hit, more forgiving, and they get the ball higer in the air and more consisitant....if you miss hit a hybrid, it will be more forgiving then miss hitting a 3 or 4 iron.. i have the TM ones, partly becasue thats my club package....but i found that the TM hit it alot higher i nthe air for me then the callaway, maybe it has a little more lower center of gravity, anyways thats what you want it to do anyway, the same distance as the 3 to 4 iron, and have the confidence in hitting into the green.

as for the TM irons, i use the TP R7 from last couple of years, there awesome, remember there meant for more lower hncp, and i just love the forged feel.
the reg R7 are more desired for middle to high hndc, with a little more offset to help the right handed player to not slice as much, and as well as get the ball in the air faster...

i can go on for days with this stuff..lol let me know if you got anymore questions

p.s. if you can get them fitted for a little extra...do it...its a big difference
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
Junior

Karmaz00

The RM R7 are what I am looking at. I have been hitting forged clubs for the last 5-6 years. I will try my dads hybrids next time I play. I could use a more forgiving iron in the 3-4 range. I will also have them fit that is part of what my pro does for me when I buy clubs for me. Last time we had to shorten my driver about an inch, and it made a world of difference.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #14
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

nice your in good hands...your local pro will take care of ya...you be suprised how much the shaft and grip size can impact your swing, ball pattern and flight...good luck and happy golfing
Old 04-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #15
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Mooremedic, no matter what set you get make sure you have the correct shaft speed for your swing and get them fitted.

BTW - I'd suggest finding a nice used set of Ping Eye 2s
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #16
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
I agree with Mooremedic, no matter what set you get make sure you have the correct shaft speed for your swing and get them fitted.

BTW - I'd suggest finding a nice used set of Ping Eye 2s
Had a set of Eye 2s for 10 years. Great clubs, but I think new technology is even better & more forgiving. Even Mickelson plays a more forgiving club than he did several years ago. I know forged blades have a better feel when hit on the sweet spot, but you get a great feeling when you hit any club "Flush"! Try them all out, then make your decision as many have said before. Good luck & let us know!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
thetpi825
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
thetpi825 is on a distinguished road

I would go reg for your swing speed. Also taylormade has a set of irons with the 3 and 4 hybrid called burner plus. May wanna look into it 699 for a full set to pw.

Hope this helps.
thetpi825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
Junior

Well I went down to the shop this morning. I hit the Callaway x22s, Ping Raptures, Mizuno MX100s, and the Taylormade Burners. Well we ordered a set of the burners in stiff shaft. I seemed to hit them better than all the rest. On the plus side it came as a set with the hybrids 3 and 4, they will be in first of next week. I also picked up a Ping Rapture 3 wood.

I also start lessons again to fix my big loopy swing I developed after having knee problems. Maybe he will be able to get me to start shifting my weight again. Plus being self taught there is no telling what else is wrong with my swing. Now if I can just find the mate to one of my pairs of shoes I will be in business.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
Cigary

Before you spend some good money go to a reputable golf store,,,talk with the salesperson and let them take you to the back and hit some balls with the clubs you are looking at. There are computerized programs that will analyze everything about your swing,,,stance,,,club head speed,,,height,,weight,,etc. All of this has a true bearing on what kind of club it suited to your swing. A good club makes all the difference and I used to have the Hogan Edge,,,,,,good set of sticks but you'd better be on your game as they are not that forgiving.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Any decision yet?