Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Favorite B&M?

Forgive me if there's already a thread about this, nothing came up in the search.

I thought it would be nice to see a thread where people give a little love back to their favorite B&M. It will serve as a nice reference for travelers that are in your area and maybe you'll find a new place in your home town or run into some fellow customers. I have no affiliations with any retailers, so this is purely fanservice.

My favorite place to pick up smokes in San Diego is Liberty Tobacco. They have the nicest selecction I've seen in town, with a lot of hard to find Illusione, Tatuaje and LFD cigars, and their staff is knowledgeable and friendly. There are always guys just hanging out on the couches in the lounge area and watching TV. They also have a fine selection of pipes and pipe tobacco. I was really stoked when I found a place this nice so close to home. I don't go in as much as I like, but there is always a great atmosphere when I do. If any of you are in the Clairemont/Kearny Mesa area and frequent this establishment, let me know and maybe we can herf there sometime.

So that's my story, now what's your favorite B&M? Show some love!
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite B&M?

There are quite a few B&Ms here in the area (Hampton Roads Virginia). I find myself always excited to travel the hour or so to Emersons in Chesapeake, VA. They have a HUGE walk-in humi (always have what I'm looking for), experienced staff that isn't too pushy (except for the woman that works there...LOL!!), and have a nice lounge, selection of accessories (humis, lighters, cutters, pipes, books, etc). I truly believe this B&M has it all!!! I always head out on the highway with my "shopping list" and am excited to pull into the parking lot...to see what treasures await me. I always leave feeling like a kind in the candy store (although my wallet doesn't often agree).
Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
tobii3

EMPIRE!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

In Colorado Springs it has to be Peak Cigars and Pipes on 8th street. Not the biggest, just the best.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Here in my area, we have The Party Source. They have outstanding prices and a great selection.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
My favorite place to pick up smokes in San Diego is Liberty Tobacco (in the Clairemont/Kearny Mesa area.)
Clayton, have you been to Cigar Grotto in Oceanside? They have a nice lounge, conduct off-site events like golf tourneys and dinners/socials and they support the troops big time.

That gorgeous creature you'll see when you go in is the owner/proprietess Dee Dee.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
Clayton, have you been to Cigar Grotto in Oceanside? They have a nice lounge, conduct off-site events like golf tourneys and dinners/socials and they support the troops big time.

That gorgeous creature you'll see when you go in is the owner/proprietess Dee Dee.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out. I don't make it all the way up to North County very often, but it sounds like a field trip is in order!
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
adampc22

my favorite tobacconist has to be greens of leeds
Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

My Houston recommendations:

Spec's downtown- cheapest Padron ani's in Houston. priced at or near cost.
decent selection of other smokes but nothing special. It's a huge liquor store and I suspect they make next to no money on cigars so for many smokes, they sell them at damn near cost. If there is a mark-up, it can't be more than a few cents per stick.

Serious cigars- huge walk-in, tons of good smokes, knowledgeable staff, lots of promo events, probably the best all around store in Houston. also a great mail order place. check out their website. www.seriouscigars.com

The Briar Shoppe- cool store/sh!tty prices. average to boring selection of smokes but they also specialize in pipes and single malt scotches. Go for the scotch and other accesories. skip the overpriced cigars in their modest walk-in. I believe they are an official Fuente dealer so they get Opus/Anejos regularly, but better get in good with the management. I tried to pick up some Anejos once and they told me they got one box earlier in the week and sold it unopened to a regular... well good for him I guess I haven't been back.

Cigar Emporium- this is my neighborhood shop. not a huge walk-in but not a lot of BS cigars either, just the good stuff. the husband/wife owners are very knowledgeable and stock all the brands we drool over. Pepin, Tats, Cabaiguan, Riqueza, LFD, Padron, Casa Magna, Camacho. Prices are fair. lounge is nice too, with leather couches and a big TV.

There are a ton of places in Houston, these are just the ones I can honestly give my personal opinion on.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
rudeJARHEAD
smoke em if ya got em

First Name: rude
Trading: (1)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
rudeJARHEAD is on a distinguished road

Town and Country Cigars in Euless Tx. Their staff is excellent, selection is great and they have a lounge/bar in the back. They also host a slew of events to include live music most weekends. Their prices are mid to high but I dont normally go into a B&M because of their prices, and their selection and accomodations make up for that.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
jwfish81
Just wandering

First Name: Justin
Trading: (1)
jwfish81 is on a distinguished road

If you're ever in Springfield, MO check out Just For Him, on Battlefield Rd. Great selection, friendly & knowledgeable staff, but most of all just a great place to hang out!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

The nearest B&M to me is about 55 miles away.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Original Cigar in Denver is the one I frequent most. I know a lot of guys like Havana Manor, but they have a smaller humidor and Original is "cozier" in a way.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

In the Pittsburgh area when I have time Allegheny Smokeworks for sure. Great selection and great staff that is very knowledgeable in both cigars and pipes.

When visiting family in Maryland, the best B&M in the Baltimore Metro area has to be The Humidour in Timonium, MD. They have free food sometimes, good deals, great selection, and a lot of events.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

How 'bout a request?

Can anyone recommend a good B & M in Montreal?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
GoldnGT
Hibbidy Jibbidy

First Name: Michael
Trading: (2)
PL
GoldnGT is on a distinguished road

In the Birmingham, Alabama area I'm a big fan of Cigars & More on 280, heck the Cigars & More in Trussville is great too. As well as The Briary in Homewood. There are two others in the area, but I don't frequent them as often b/c I've gotten to know the guys at C&M and Briary so much better.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #17
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

In my area, by far, it is Tampa Humidor. I have a love/hate relationship with the place. I love it--my wallet hates it. Or should that be the other way around?

Huge walk in humi with internet pricing, great specials quite often, good events, big lounge area, no attitude. Highly recommended.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
BryanB
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (58)
VR
BryanB has a spectacular aura aboutBryanB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
EMPIRE!!!!!!

I agree. If theres a better B&M in the country I wanna see it. Empire is

amazing.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

I spend a lot of time between Cancun and Cayman and I would have to say my favorite B&M has to be the LCDH in Cayman. It is by no means the largest but they have a great variety and the owner is truly a legendary figure and the team working there has taught me so much about cigars.

Thanks to Mike for turning me on to them!
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

In the Orlando area: Backroom Cigar Corporation in Celebration, FL

You can have your Corona Cigar Company, but I'll take Backroom any day. Smaller, more intimate, you can actually hear the TV and you can actually find a comfortable seat.