Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 11-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #661
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice
Default Re: Sous vide

I'm doing the Thanksgiving turkey sous vide. I'm using this recipe I found
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...est-feast-ever
I'll let you know how it turns out. I cooked 5 sides and bagged them too. I will heat them up in the immersion bath as well.

As an aside, Amazon has started early Black Friday deals. Anova and a lot of brands I don't know are on sale.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #662
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
I'm doing the Thanksgiving turkey sous vide. I'm using this recipe I found
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...est-feast-ever
I'll let you know how it turns out. I cooked 5 sides and bagged them too. I will heat them up in the immersion bath as well.

As an aside, Amazon has started early Black Friday deals. Anova and a lot of brands I don't know are on sale.
That link looks interesting, Jeff.
Let us know how your turkey turns out.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #663
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

The turkey was great. Next time I'm gonna cut back on the sugar and salt. It was a bit sweet and salty, but you could tell it tenderize the flesh. Fresh sage too. One or two leaves per quarter so be fine. I browned it all under the broiler. By far the most moist bird I've ever had.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #664
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Sounds great — I will have to give it a try!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #665
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Made some brisket on Sunday, didn't plan ahead so I only ended up with 12 hours to cook it so I did it at 176* and it turned out pretty good, not fall apart but I wasn't really going for that anyways

The reason for the post is I used the curing salt again, this time not measuring and just using the amount I would have used of regular salt for a rub on the outside. I forgot to take pictures, but when I sliced it the "smoke ring" was more prevalent than the typical red/brown brisket color, really interesting to look at although I couldn't tell any other differences besides aesthetics. I'll probably keep doing it on meats like this if for nothing else than it makes it looks like a smoked brisket, but maybe mix it with some normal salt next time
Old 11-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #666
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I used the curing salt again, this time not measuring and just using the amount I would have used of regular salt for a rub on the outside.
This is kind of a dangerous practice that could lead to excessive nitrite levels, which could result in health issues. Prauge #1 should used at a max ratio of 1:400 by weight (about 1 tsp per 5 lb of meat) iirc.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #667
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
This is kind of a dangerous practice that could lead to excessive nitrite levels, which could result in health issues. Prauge #1 should used at a max ratio of 1:400 by weight (about 1 tsp per 5 lb of meat) iirc.
I used probably double that, about 1sp for a 2.5LB piece, no extra added for the sear. gonna monitor more closely next time, I remembered reading something about that but I was rushing when I was prepping
Old 12-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #668
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I'm supposed to do a pulled pork for Xmas. It's going to rain here the next 3 days, so I'm thinking of trying it sous vide.
Anyone have any success? I know Vin did one and wasn't impressed.
Any tips?
Old 12-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #669
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Dom, I tried this recipe a long time back and found it to be good:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...er-recipe.html

It's no substitute for stuff cooked in a real smoker, but it beats crock pots by a mile.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #670
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Thanks Adam.
That's the recipe that I was looking at, so I'll give it a try.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #671
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

Partagas

That looks great Adam. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:25 AM   #672
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

I've had luck as well, don't remember the time/temp I used but it turned out great. I think it was the same/similar as what Adam posted, I get a lot of my info from them
Old 12-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #673
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

I did the pulled pork following the recipe Adam posted and it turned out better than I ever imagined.
Going in I thought it was going to be a fail. I figured the best case scenario would be that they would never ask me to do it again.
I was mistaken.

I substituted salt & pepper with smoked Kosher salt and smoked black pepper in the rub, and didn't use the liquid smoke or Prague Powder that were optional.
You couldn't really taste the smoke, but you could smell it.
The butt split into 2 pieces while I was taking it out of the bag, but since I was roasting in the oven, it wasn't an issue; more surface area for rub.
I couldn't detect a difference in texture, and the meat was tender and juicy.
I did cook it at 170° instead of 165°. Not sure why I didn't follow directions.
Sorry, no pics.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #674
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

Partagas

Yum Dom. Amazon post holiday sale has the Bluetooth Anova on sale for 99 bucks. Nice deal for a great tool.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #675
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I did the pulled pork following the recipe Adam posted and it turned out better than I ever imagined.
Going in I thought it was going to be a fail. I figured the best case scenario would be that they would never ask me to do it again.
I was mistaken.

I substituted salt & pepper with smoked Kosher salt and smoked black pepper in the rub, and didn't use the liquid smoke or Prague Powder that were optional.
The butt split into 2 pieces while I was taking it out of the bag, but since I was roasting in the oven, it wasn't an issue; more surface area for rub.
Sorry, no pics.

Bet a "smoker gun" would add some smoke flavor!!
Old 12-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #676
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I was mistaken.

Sorry, no pics.
Glad to hear it worked out. When I did it, I also skipped the liquid smoke and the instacure #1.

Something I found that works well for smoke in recipes including sous vide, without having to resort to liquid smoke, is smoked onions. These things are sponges for smoke. Just slice up a bunch of brown/yellow onions and throw them on a lightly oiled perforated tray in your pellet grill. Set it to "smoke" - on mine that's about 168F + smoke. And just leave them. Stir them around every few hours for about 8-12 hours.

They won't fully dehydrate, but will get very thin and soft. I use these in sauces, in SV bags, etc. I've changed a few recipes that used liquid smoke to use these instead as even the best quality liquid smoke just tastes chemically weird. You can do a sh!t ton of them too, 5-6 lbs of onions will smoke dry down to a quart zip lock bag with room to spare and they last months in the refrigerator.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #677
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
After I took the brisket out of the bath I let it rest for a bit, lightly seasoned it with Cook Shack dry rub and then seared it on a very hot grill for about 90 seconds on each side.

This turned out to be the best brisket that I have made -- much better than my previous one, which turned out very tough (too much salt in my rub leeched out all the moisture).

It's not near as good as the brisket markem makes on his BGE, but I was very happy with it:

Got a beautiful 4.5LB chunk of brisket from the butcher last weekend, putting it into the bath tonight for a 133* 48hr cook so it's ready for dinner Thursday. To try to get a smokey flavor without liquid smoke, yesterday I filled up a container with peeled pearl onions and sliced garlic, and every now and them when I was passing by (probably 10 times total) I filled the container with applewood smoke from my smoking gun. Right now the container smells like smokey garlic, but gonna put those in the SV bag with the brisket, and a heavy coating of salt and pepper on the steak.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #678
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Got a beautiful 4.5LB chunk of brisket from the butcher last weekend, putting it into the bath tonight for a 133* 48hr cook so it's ready for dinner Thursday. To try to get a smokey flavor without liquid smoke, yesterday I filled up a container with peeled pearl onions and sliced garlic, and every now and them when I was passing by (probably 10 times total) I filled the container with applewood smoke from my smoking gun. Right now the container smells like smokey garlic, but gonna put those in the SV bag with the brisket, and a heavy coating of salt and pepper on the steak.
looking forward to seeing results!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #679
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
looking forward to seeing results!
Better yet, Ben could mail us both a pound.....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #680
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Better yet, Ben could mail us both a pound.....
Come visit Denver and I'll cook up a full rack of Colorado Lamb