Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 11-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road
Default And one more Newb asking questions

OK, so thinking about trying out the pipe. One of the biggest drivers is the more pleasant scent, which should make the wife happier to have me smoking in the garage this winter.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive pipe or website to pick up a starter pipe or 2 along with tobacco recommendations. I do not want to buy a $60 pipe if I end up not liking it, and I am also not interested in the used, estate stuff yet. Can I get a decent briar for around $20-30? Not sure I want to go the cob route, as I hear its not the same as briars and might not provide a good first impression of the hobby.

thanks,
Mike
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Hydrated

Default Re: And one more Newb asking questions

I have to politely disagree with the non-cob route. I find that a cob is the perfect starter pipe for several reasons.
  • A cob provides a drier, gurgle-free smoke for a beginner from the first bowl.
  • A cob has an exceedingly short break-in. Usually 1 or 2 bowls.
  • Cobs are cheap and plentiful. I'd wager that you'll get a better smoke from a $5 cob than most $25 briars.

I'd save the briar for after you've gotten a few bowls under your belt with a cob. Starting out new to the pipe with a brand new briar can be rough on the tongue...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
SUOrangeGuy
Escaped using raincoats

Trading: (24)
Montecristo
SUOrangeGuy is on a distinguished road

Give Frenchyspipes.com a try. He sells Savinelli naturals at a great price and will include some starter supplies.
SUOrangeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
mugwump
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
mugwump is on a distinguished road

Go grab an estate pipe at Frenchy's (http://www.frenchyspipes.com/) and if it's your first order he'll throw in some other goodies to get you started. Of course a cob is a better place to start but if you have your heart set on a briar this is the way to go.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
macms
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trading: (56)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
macms has disabled reputation

Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
petewho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrated View Post
I have to politely disagree with the non-cob route. I find that a cob is the perfect starter pipe for several reasons.
  • A cob provides a drier, gurgle-free smoke for a beginner from the first bowl.
  • A cob has an exceedingly short break-in. Usually 1 or 2 bowls.
  • Cobs are cheap and plentiful. I'd wager that you'll get a better smoke from a $5 cob than most $25 briars.

I'd save the briar for after you've gotten a few bowls under your belt with a cob. Starting out new to the pipe with a brand new briar can be rough on the tongue...
Noob here, and I second the cob! I have three briars and a cob, have been smoking pipes only for two weeks, and right now the cob is the only one I'll smoke (until I get a little more experience under my belt). If you want to enjoy pipe smoking right away, go for the cob. My experiences with the briars so far = lots of time/patience/practice/luck to get a halfway decent smoke and no tongue bite. My experience with the cob is load-it-and-light-it. If you want a REALLY easy noob experience load a cob with Prince Albert and light it with a pipe lighter
Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Python

I don't have much to add. Good advise so far and I agree with everyone. If you are unsure about smoking pipes, go with a cob at first. If/when you want to take the next step, go with Frenchy.