Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
dave73
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
dave73 is on a distinguished road
Default Please help me identiy an inherited Dupont lighter

Hello guys and girls!

Recently i received my grandfathers Dupont lighter from my dad, and unfortunately there was no paperwork, receipt or box left; just the lighter. The only information my dad could provide is that it was probably bought in the 1960's in The Netherlands. There appears to be no gasoline left; the lighter only sparks when the wheel is turned. Otherwise, it looks like it is still intact.

I was wondering if you guys could help me provide information if this is a real Dupont lighter, and what the make and model is? I was also curious about knowing what price this would retail at; i'd never sell it but i am just curious.

Thank you!
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  51.1 KB

DaveName:  2.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  33.6 KB
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
dave73
Just in from the Storm

Default Re: Please help me identiy an inherited Dupont lighter

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  39.9 KB
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  103.5 KB
Old 07-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
dave73
Just in from the Storm

unfortunately i can't upload any more pics, i get errors regarding the file size. The serial number is stamped unevenly and there is a small "st dupont" typed in the square box.

The lighter does not make the "ping" sound, and when i unscrew the fuel cap, there is a yellow paint on the inside of the fuel cap.

I hope this information can help you guys identify this one!

again thanks!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

If you search on dupont lighter in the search bar above, you will find a recent post from someone looking to do the same thing as you, under remarkably similar circumstances. There is information in that thread on how to contact Dupont for a verification, which they do all the time.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

If you get the urge to try and get it running, please get the proper butane fuel. It does not use gasoline, which would be very dangerous!

I hope i'm just taking your post too literally.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

It looks real. What color is the o-ring inside valve to fit the gas? Dupont uses proprietary gas canisters and are color coordinated. Almost 100% it will be leaking and need to be re-built which is about $100.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #7
dave73
Just in from the Storm

@markem; thank you for the information! I have sent the local office of Dupont a mail with photos and the information i already provided to you guys, and am now waiting for their reaction.

@wharf rat: don't worry, i have read about Duponts refill canisters With wheel i meant the thing on the side of the lighter that you have to turn, i'm sorry i don't know the correct name (english is not my first languague)

@mosesbotbol: i have tried resizing the pictures. The color inside the o-ring is yellow/gold like. May i ask you; why is it certain that it leaks? How do they make 500 euro + lighters and people accept that they will leak ?

Name:  101.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  10.9 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  7.6 KB

thanks for your reactions so far people, they are really helping!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
dave73
Just in from the Storm

ok guys I have an update: i went to a local tobacco specialty store which is an authorized Dupont dealer, and the lady examined the lighter and said it was definitely a genuine one. I also bought a golden coloured refill capsule and had it refilled; it filled, but reaaaal slow according to the lady. It probably took about 15 minutes and not all the gas entered the lighter in the first try. After taking out the half empty gas canister (which made a terrible sissing noise) she screwed it in again and finally it all drained into the lighter.

At first it didn't seem to light, but now it does, and the flame adjuster wheel works, but is very loose (while the flint wheel is very stiff). Anyways, it seems to work just fine now. Maybe i'll have it reserviced in the future, but for now i'll wait at least a week to see if the gasoline hasn't leaked out (fingers crossed it doesn't leak )

Does anyone know if the lighter will hold the gasoline almost indefinetely just like a Bic lighter, or is it more like a Zippo and will it be gone in a short time anyway?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

Does anyone know if the lighter will hold the gasoline almost indefinetely just like a Bic lighter, or is it more like a Zippo and will it be gone in a short time anyway?

Thanks
The butane will not evaporate like lighter fluid from a zippo, so closer to indefinitely if it doesn't leak.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:35 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

@mosesbotbol: i have tried resizing the pictures. The color inside the o-ring is yellow/gold like. May i ask you; why is it certain that it leaks? How do they make 500 euro + lighters and people accept that they will leak ?
Gaskets dry up over time (Dupont, Caran d'Arche, Davidoff, Dunhill...). I use to buy and sell these Duponts. A friend of mine was the creative director ST Dupont.

You may find some old threads of lighters I posted here. Basically all butane lighters that are refillable will leak eventually. I have a Dupont that I bought new and has already been serviced once in the 15 years I have owned it.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #11
dave73
Just in from the Storm

hi guys,

After filling the lighter yesterday, I tried to light it today, but it didn't work, so it probably all leaked out.

A waste of 5 euros...anyway i got an official reply from the local Dupont dealer.

Thought you all might be interested in it!

Dear Sir,

Tis model is a Line 1 small model with réference 13303.
It's a gold plated ( 20 microns )18 carats lighter .
This lighter in this version has to be around 30 years old.
L1 lighters NEVER made the "ping" . this is only for Gatsby and L2 lighters.

With a revision the lighter can work again.

It's very difficult to put a price on it because it.
the best thing is to compare it on second hand sites with comparable St dupont lighters.

I'll probably will send it in for a revision in the future....
Old 07-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

An interesting thing about St. Dupont, if you send the lighter to the factory, they will refurbish any lighter they have ever made and that includes hand crafting new parts if they don't have them anymore, I can only imagine how much that would cost, but I still think it's pretty damn cool.

Also if you look on ebay you can find refill adapters for your lighter, they are small brass fittings that fit on gas cans and on your lighter so you don't have to buy the refills, you do have to be careful that you don't overfill it and screw up the internal valves but I do have one and love it.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote