Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #261
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Yup, I've built plenty.

In order of Quality.

Colt/LMT/Bushmaster/CMT/RRA/Stag/J&T/CMMG/M&A/Del-ton/DPMS/Oly Arms

That's my opinion of course.

Price will obviously drop as you go own the line.

Bang for buck, I prefer CMT/Stag/RRA parts for my builds

If you need any help with the assembly, years ago, I created a PDF file that can be printed out like a workshop manual that goes step by step photographically through assembling an AR-15, as well as talking about all the parts, tools, function testing, and possible build ideas.

Just let me know if you'd like a copy
Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #262
Ubergopher

I'd love a copy of that, it'd be perfect for what I need, PM incoming with my email address. My current plan (without doing any serious looking for the items or price) would be a fixed stock with a short barrel either 10 or 14.5 inches.

Quick question though, would I be able to hot swap between a longer barrel and a shorter one or would I need to monkey with the lower receiver?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #263
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
I'd love a copy of that, it'd be perfect for what I need, PM incoming with my email address. My current plan (without doing any serious looking for the items or price) would be a fixed stock with a short barrel either 10 or 14.5 inches.

Quick question though, would I be able to hot swap between a longer barrel and a shorter one or would I need to monkey with the lower receiver?
First off you need to realize that a short barreled rifle (A rifle with a bbl of under 16" in length from the bolt face to muzzle) will need to be an NFA registered rifle specifically called an SBR, or short barreled rifle.

To achieve a 14.5" barrel without needing the NFA registration, you'll simply need a 1.6" muzzle break permanently affixed to the muzzle of your rifle. That means blind pinned and welded.

If you have a registered SBR, as long as you marked it on the form, the various barrel lengths you would be using, then you can use any of those barrel lengths by swapping uppers. It's recommended to get a grip with a storage area (such as the TD, or the Magpul MOE/MIAD) to store the NFA paperwork in, in case you're ever asked questions about it by an LEO.

Also there's no such thing as hot swapping a barrel unless you have a thing called an LMT MRP

You can howevor have multiple upper halves, that can be put onto a dedicated lower by simply removing two takedown pins on the lower receiver, removing the upper, putting a new upper on, and pushing the pins back in place.

It's VERY simple to do that.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #264
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper View Post
Holy crap 80 bucks.

Ordering tomorrow

You are awesome thanks much!
No problem. I've been thinking about grabbing one of those, and one of the rifles as well, just need to get my C&R permit first.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #265
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
No problem. I've been thinking about grabbing one of those, and one of the rifles as well, just need to get my C&R permit first.
C&R licenses are awesome. Once you get one, send a copy to Brownells and Midway USA. When they get a copy, once you log in, you get to see the cheaper (dealer) prices
Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #266
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Yup, I've built plenty.

In order of Quality.

Colt/LMT/Bushmaster/CMT/RRA/Stag/J&T/CMMG/M&A/Del-ton/DPMS/Oly Arms

That's my opinion of course.

Price will obviously drop as you go own the line.

Bang for buck, I prefer CMT/Stag/RRA parts for my builds
I think you're pretty right on except for Colt. Well, at least the large pin Colts. I've built quite a few, including a couple Del-ton kits and was very pleased with their quality. I'd get one for myself no problem.

A lot of friends have been asking me to help them put rifles together and I keep telling them they missed the boat and now should wait a few months for things to die down and get back to normal.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #267
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
I think you're pretty right on except for Colt. Well, at least the large pin Colts. I've built quite a few, including a couple Del-ton kits and was very pleased with their quality. I'd get one for myself no problem.

A lot of friends have been asking me to help them put rifles together and I keep telling them they missed the boat and now should wait a few months for things to die down and get back to normal.
While I don't use Colt, what it boils down to is M&P testing and the sample rate of testing that puts Colt on top of the list, versus down towards the bottom. Granted I'd put them equal to LMT, but they cost more thus putting them ahead on the list when looking at it from a bang for buck perspective. (left side is less bang for buck) And this list is not definitive, nor anything more than my opinion. I've obviously omitting things like GT/Noveske/Bravo/...etc

Statistically speaking, running average equipment through above average scenarios will cause weaker components of lesser quality to fail quicker. Things like extractors, bolt heads, bolt carriers.. etc

It's parts like those that I recommend spending more money on. I'd recommend M&P testing where possible.

As for barrels, it'll boil down to application.

As for receivers, you're paying for a name as long as it's in spec.

Lower parts kit, you're paying for fit, strength, and trigger quality if you have no intention of upgrading the trigger.

So really, put your money where it matters. I have no issues with Del-ton, but you would never see me stick one of their BCG's in my rifle.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #268
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

A couple people have requested this, so I'm gonna post it.

This is a PDF File on how to assemble an AR-15 from parts, how to function check, and lists off all parts and tools necessary to complete a build as well as offering suggestions as to what you could build.

This is free to use and download for personal use, but please do not distribute. I take no responsibility (and neither does anywhere that links it or hosts it) if you decide to shoot yourself in the foot, so be aware of that

http://hosted.filefront.com/JE3146/

Find the PDF file mid page, then just to the right of it, it'll say "Download now"

Follow that link and enjoy

The pictures are dated, but I made this in 2005/2006, eventually published online in 2006.

I'll be redoing it eventually, but for now it works
Old 01-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #269
Ace$nyper

Quote:
Get one of the rifles, if you don't like it, well you did it wrong

heck if timing is right on my wallet and you really don't like it I might buy it from you lol.

I own a bunch of rifles and the most fun by far is my M44. It's just, well you have to have a Mosin to get it kinda deal.

I can't wait to take the pistol to the range once I get it. Thanks so much again for the link

Old 01-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #270
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper View Post
Get one of the rifles, if you don't like it, well you did it wrong
I think I'll get it right All those pretty pictures and videos of fire balls are too cool to pass up for $70.

What's the difference between the hex receiver 91/30 models and the 'regular' models?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #271
Ace$nyper

Quote:
I think I'll get it right All those pretty pictures and videos of fire balls are too cool to pass up for $70.

What's the difference between the hex receiver 91/30 models and the 'regular' models?
Over all nothing, to a normal shooter/plinker. But if you are picky and want the best place to read up on ANYTHING (plus great jokes) about these rifles
http://7.62x54r.net/

Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #272
Ace$nyper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE6BBtjUig0&

This man HATES his body hahahah

Old 01-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #273
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

First Name: Greg
Trading: (13)
HUpmann
gpugliese will become famous soon enough

I passed my .38 marksmanship test today in Boston with a 290 out of 300. Now I get to enjoy the long 7-8 week wait!
Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #274
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpugliese View Post
I passed my .38 marksmanship test today in Boston with a 290 out of 300. Now I get to enjoy the long 7-8 week wait!
Is this to own a handgun? or to conceal carry?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #275
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

HUpmann

Quote:
Is this to own a handgun? or to conceal carry?
This is just to get a license to carry a handgun, rifle or shotgun in MA. As a Boston resident, I have to jump through a few extra hoops.

Concealed carry is next to impossible to get in Boston unless you own your own business or make frequent large cash deposits. There is no "Self Protection" option.

I'll end up with a sport/target restriction, which allows everything but concealed carry.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #276
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
This is just to get a license to carry a handgun, rifle or shotgun in MA. As a Boston resident, I have to jump through a few extra hoops.

Concealed carry is next to impossible to get in Boston unless you own your own business or make frequent large cash deposits. There is no "Self Protection" option.

I'll end up with a sport/target restriction, which allows everything but concealed carry.
That is just insane.

I go nuts if the background check takes more than 10 minutes And all that involves is them dialing the phone while I put my thumb prints on a piece of paper.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #277
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:

That sucks. I would hate to live in a state with such stupid gun laws. Here in Ohio to get a concealed carry permit you have to:

1. Take a 12 hour class where you learn about the laws, proper handling, cleaning, and you have to pass a test where you shoot the gun and hit the target x number of times. You also have to pass the written test.

2. Take your paperwork to the local sheriff's office with your paperwork, get fingerprinted, and pay a fee.

3. If you pass the background check and everything else checks out fine, you get your permit.

Ohio is a "Shall issue" state meaning that if you meet condition "A, B, C, etc." they have to give you a permit. None of the crap where you "have to make large deposits, etc."

Hang in there man..... hopefully you can get a CC permit.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #278
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
That is just insane.

I go nuts if the background check takes more than 10 minutes And all that involves is them dialing the phone while I put my thumb prints on a piece of paper.
You have to do fingerprinting in Oregon?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #279
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

HUpmann

New Hampshire just requires $10 and a letter to your town's police chief requirement for concealed carry. I don't think you need anything else to own/purchase/shoot a firearm up there.

Non-resident NH CCW permits are easy (and cheap) as well, so I'll definitely be going that route.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #280
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
New Hampshire just requires $10 and a letter to your town's police chief requirement for concealed carry. I don't think you need anything else to own/purchase/shoot a firearm up there.

Non-resident NH CCW permits are easy (and cheap) as well, so I'll definitely be going that route.
I applied for my non-resident NH CCW permit as well. This will give me the ability to CC in Alabama. I also have a non-resident Pennsylvania permit.
Closed Thread