Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Another snork thread... kinda

Over the years I have heard many reasons for snorking and how it helps to "taste" a cigar better. And it has been said that NC smokers for the most part are mouth only smokers. There are also a numbers of reasons people come to this conclusion, but most often it seems that it's because NC smokers don't retrohale/snork a cigar. I will agree that for some reason it seems that retrohaling a CC is much easier on the sinuses than a NC. And for that reason I have been experimenting.

I usually snork pretty much any cigar. I have bad sinuses but I don't let that stop me. No pain no gain right?? But some people either can't do it because of the pain/burn associated with it, or they just can't get the method correct. I propose a new method though, that I think pretty much anyone can do and has great results. They provide equal or greater "flavor/taste" than that of snorking. Here is the method:

Take a puff of your cigar. Then make sure you have enough air by closing your mouth and breathing in through your nose. Then simply open your mouth and breath out your nose. The smoke will find it's way out of your mouth and you will be getting the "flavor" through your nose. If there is any smoke left over in your mouth, you can help it out with your tongue or simply exhale it out to clear your mouth for the next puff. It's sort of a way to cheat snorking. I find that doing this helps to improve flavor while not burning your sinuses. Which may result in an even potent result.

I know some of you may read this and think who cares, smoke how you like. But I know others will enjoying trying something new and it's something I have been experimenting with. To each their own.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Another snork thread... kinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
And it has been said that NC smokers for the most part are mouth only smokers.
A lot of things "have been said"...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

I have no problem doing it with most NCs. Once I got used to the burn, it's pretty easy. I know certain cigars need a smaller amount of smoke though the nose, so I take precautions to make sure I don't kill myself.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantim0 View Post
I have no problem doing it with most NCs. Once I got used to the burn, it's pretty easy. I know certain cigars need a smaller amount of smoke though the nose, so I take precautions to make sure I don't kill myself.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

It isn't that I cannot snork or retro hale a NC it's that all I usually get is a huge pepper blast. It is just not pleasant. As I retrohale this Monte no.2 my nose picks up the smell of the flavors in the cigar, not pepper. That said there are few NCs that are nice to snork but not enough that I'm going to try it with every one I smoke.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
That said there are few NCs that are nice to snork but not enough that I'm going to try it with every one I smoke.
In my experience, it's pretty easy to tell from a regular draw/exhale whether you're going to get a pepper explosion in your nostrils if you snork. I would only put the line between NCs and CCs in the sense that the pepper-bomb sticks are the ones that are difficult for snorking and there aren't really any CC pepper-bombs. At the same time, there are many, many, many non-pepper-bomb NCs and I find a lot of them to be both entirely pleasant and very revealing/educational/tasty to snork.

Or, to make a long story short, I call on the "CCs are for snorkers and NCs are for non-snorkers" myth.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
JoeCool87TC
Relaxing in Paradise...

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JoeCool87TC is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Another snork thread... kinda

Relative newbie chiming in here - I retrohale at least a little of every stick I smoke. In my experience (what there is of it) there are some that are nice and produce additional "flavours", some that are not-so-nice and just burn, and the remainder a combination of the two; these I just cut back on the amount of smoke that is retrohaled. I still do it though because it contributes to my smoking enjoyment. Hey - I like spicy food, too!

Now that I've finally experienced my first CC, though, I've personally observed how much smoother (and somehow "fuller") their smoke seems to be, at least on my limited single stick sample stogie . However, it also "burned" a bit, too - so in IMHO it wasn't perfect either.

Therefore I puff away regardless and just chalk the experience up with that old phrase "It's all good!" and continue from there.

Enjoy, smoke 'em if you've got 'em!

Last edited by JoeCool87TC; 12-21-2010 at 12:40 PM.
JoeCool87TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool87TC View Post
Now that I've finally experienced my first CC, though, I've personally experienced how much smoother their smoke seems to be. However, the one stick I've tried so far also "burned" a bit, too - IMHO it wasn't perfect either.
There definitely are some that are "perfect". You'll dig 'em when they find you.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantim0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
In my experience, it's pretty easy to tell from a regular draw/exhale whether you're going to get a pepper explosion in your nostrils if you snork. I would only put the line between NCs and CCs in the sense that the pepper-bomb sticks are the ones that are difficult for snorking and there aren't really any CC pepper-bombs. At the same time, there are many, many, many non-pepper-bomb NCs and I find a lot of them to be both entirely pleasant and very revealing/educational/tasty to snork.

Or, to make a long story short, I call on the "CCs are for snorkers and NCs are for non-snorkers" myth.

I really didn't post this thread to become an argument over whether or not NC's are for mouth smoker's only. Or whether or not someone can snork a NC. I posted this as a new method for people to try. I find it works better than snorking. It doesn't matter if it's a NC or CC, this method gives more flavor to me.

Why not try it out, then report back with your findings. I think that might provide much better discussion than arguing over whether or not NC's burn.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
I really didn't post this thread to become an argument over whether or not NC's are for mouth smoker's only.
I didn't mean to jack your thread!

Your method is kind like a "French inhale" without the stricter sense of "inhale" and is akin to the method of passing the lit end along under your nose (a good inch away) as you breathe in lightly. Helpful techniques, both.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
I didn't mean to jack your thread!

Your method is kind like a "French inhale" without the stricter sense of "inhale" and is akin to the method of passing the lit end along under your nose (a good inch away) as you breathe in lightly. Helpful techniques, both.
No worries. But it's not the french inhale. The method I proposed relies on retronasal recptors instead of orthonasal ones.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
The method I proposed relies on retronasal recptors instead of orthonasal ones.
I see. I was picturing your method incorrectly. I re-read your description and understand it now.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

i hear this only works if you can taste butane
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I snork both. I like CCs better for snorking, generally speaking.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke, take a deep breath.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
babybob2k
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Cory
Trading: (1)
babybob2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Take a puff of your cigar. Then make sure you have enough air by closing your mouth and breathing in through your nose. Then simply open your mouth and breath out your nose. The smoke will find it's way out of your mouth and you will be getting the "flavor" through your nose. If there is any smoke left over in your mouth, you can help it out with your tongue or simply exhale it out to clear your mouth for the next puff. It's sort of a way to cheat snorking. I find that doing this helps to improve flavor while not burning your sinuses. Which may result in an even potent result.
This is exactly what I do, but I've never found a good way to put it into words. I like the added taste, but really can't stand a ton of peppery smoke coming through my nose. I've found that you can get it in your sinuses just fine without a full nose exhale.
babybob2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I snork both. I like CCs better for snorking, generally speaking.
The Gurkhas make Tom's nose itch.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
The Gurkhas make Tom's nose itch.
I died once from snorking a Gurkha.

I got better.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Snork what you like, like what you snork, take a deep breath.
Edited for accuracy regarding thread theme.

Also, I will try the technique, I like it regular style but why not try Wayner style.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #19
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
i hear this only works if you can taste butane
Or preferably ammonia.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #20
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

there is a vid on youtube with some guy teaching about retrohaling...he is WAY too into the method.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote