Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default How do you describe Complexity??

Last night I was enjoying a cigar that I am going to review. As I smoked I was thinking of different ways of describing the flavors I got. Afterwards I had one taste that I couldn't really describe, and I thought to myself "is that what some might call complex"?

So I wanted to pose the question here and get all of your thoughts on it. How do you describe complexity?

To me I have always described complexity as a change of flavors. IE; one minute you taste hints of vanilla, the next a little spice, the next puff something else, etc. But in my recalling of flavors last night, I could see where someone might describe complexity as flavors they can't describe. A mixture of flavors instead of singular flavor that changes. So what say you?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation
Default Re: How do you describe Complexity??

I'd go with a little of both views.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Trading: (4)
Partagas
guado will become famous soon enoughguado will become famous soon enough

I stopped reviewing a while ago as it was killing my enjoyment of cigars.

I will say this. IMO Complexity is when a cigar gives you so much more than just a simple flavor and smoke. A cigar that boggles the mind that you wonder..."WOW, that was awesome and I am not sure why!" Even a cigar that has 2 or 3 changes through the smoke make not be complex IMO.

Some cigars are good, they taste nice and when they are done, they're done. The complex ones for me are the ones that when done just make me sit back and reflect on that cigar for quite sometime. Those are also generally the cigars that I actually don't put out around the halfway point or so...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
To me I have always described complexity as a change of flavors. IE; one minute you taste hints of vanilla, the next a little spice, the next puff something else, etc.
I personally would call that "dynamic".

Quote:
A mixture of flavors instead of singular flavor that changes.
That is precisely how I would describe "complex" also; a mixture of multiple interrelated flavors going on at one time.

Quote:
But in my recalling of flavors last night, I could see where someone might describe complexity as flavors they can't describe.
I would call those "flavors I can't describe".

Last edited by T.G; 03-29-2010 at 08:05 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Multiple changes in flavor.

A "marrying" of flavors that is unusual.

These are two things I consider complexity in a cigar, but I an open to others' interpretations if they ring true to me.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

For me, for a cigar to be complex, it has to have two factors, a combination of multiple flavors at once, with at least 3 phase changes throughout the cigar. A cigar with a bunch of flavors all at once that I cant tease out and indentify is generally "muddled" while complexity usually implies balance to me.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
For me, for a cigar to be complex, it has to have two factors, a combination of multiple flavors at once, with at least 3 phase changes throughout the cigar. A cigar with a bunch of flavors all at once that I cant tease out and indentify is generally "muddled" while complexity usually implies balance to me.
Good point, Clayton.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Multiple changes in flavor.

A "marrying" of flavors that is unusual.

These are two things I consider complexity in a cigar, but I an open to others' interpretations if they ring true to me.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
According to Wikipedia:

In general usage, complexity tends to be used to characterize something with many parts in intricate arrangement.
I would think the term "complex" can mean different things to different folks when referencing a cigar.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Multiple layers of flavors. Some may be more pronounced or I have an anfinity to recognize, while others I notice, but do not know what they are. Smoking with someone with different taste and palate will help you discover new flavors in anything.

As much as I like to smoke with people who love the same cigars as I... I want to smoke with someone who may dislike my favorites. I am curious to explore their perspective some.

Woody, mossy, and beany would describe the prolife I like most in cigars. Also lead to why I may talk up one cigar or be indifferent to another...
Old 03-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
I would think the term "complex" can mean different things to different folks when referencing a cigar.
I fully agree, that's exactly why I posed the question.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
tx_tuff

For me it is both the changing of flavors and multi flavors at the same time. But most all what matters is that you are enjoying what you are smoking!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Multiple layers of flavors. Some may be more pronounced or I have an anfinity to recognize, while others I notice, but do not know what they are. Smoking with someone with different taste and palate will help you discover new flavors in anything.

As much as I like to smoke with people who love the same cigars as I... I want to smoke with someone who may dislike my favorites. I am curious to explore their perspective some.

Woody, mossy, and beany would describe the prolife I like most in cigars. Also lead to why I may talk up one cigar or be indifferent to another...
Complex To Me Means That I Can Discern A Variety Of Flavors. Don't Mean To Thread Jack, But What Do You Mean By "Woody, Mossy, & Beany"?
Thanks!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
I fully agree, that's exactly why I posed the question.
Gotcha. Well, complex to me it means a changing and layering of flavors.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

It's complicated!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Complexity is anything I can't taste.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Complex To Me Means That I Can Discern A Variety Of Flavors. Don't Mean To Thread Jack, But What Do You Mean By "Woody, Mossy, & Beany"?
Thanks!
Cigars that have wood flavors which fall into moss like flavors. Punch is known for such notes in their cigars and also something that comes from age. The bean flavors include coffee, cocoa, actual beans like mung or vanila. Quite pronounced in Cohiba and Montecristo, but also to degrees in many cigars.

Others may prefer cigars that are spicy, herbaceous, floral, or leather tasting.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

In cigars (and beer especially for me), complexity is a multitude of flavors and aromas blending together nicely, but not forming a single flavor or aroma. It is something that has many aspects to it. You may not be able to decipher each flavor and aroma, but it should be noticeable that there are many there.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #19
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLS1 View Post
In cigars (and beer especially for me), complexity is a multitude of flavors and aromas blending together nicely, but not forming a single flavor or aroma. It is something that has many aspects to it. You may not be able to decipher each flavor and aroma, but it should be noticeable that there are many there.
wow, i read the first post and couldnt think of a way to word my definition of the word, but this hit the nail on the head perfectly (in my opinion). well done

stearns
Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

Thank ya sir!
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote