Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about
Default burn line

How big of a deal is the burn line to you? I've read on some review sites and other forums where guys get really bent out of shape if their cigar doesn't have an even burn line. I read one review of a Tat Red Tubo where the guy enjoyed the flavor but the burn line was bad so he really slammed the cigar.

I personally don't mind touching up a cigar if the flavor is great. In fact, I'd happily touch up a cigar a couple times if the flavor was what I enjoy in a smoke.

How about you? Do you care?
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: burn line

In alot of cases, I find touching up a cigar BRINGS OUT great flavors.
DO I like a ragged burn, no I do not. Is it a terrible thing.....ehhh.

But certainly if you ever do a hot relight on a cigar that goes out very
recently, you remove ALL the gray ash and relight, it's like a whole new cigar
bursting with flavors for a good 3-5 puffs.

Last edited by OLS; 01-06-2010 at 10:14 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
How big of a deal is the burn line to you? I've read on some review sites and other forums where guys get really bent out of shape if their cigar doesn't have an even burn line. I read one review of a Tat Red Tubo where the guy enjoyed the flavor but the burn line was bad so he really slammed the cigar.

I personally don't mind touching up a cigar if the flavor is great. In fact, I'd happily touch up a cigar a couple times if the flavor was what I enjoy in a smoke.

How about you? Do you care?
I've found generally that a wonky burn line is usually a humidity/storage problem rather than a construction problem, so I have a hard time knocking a cigar for an issue I probably created in the first place. A little waviness and an occassional touch up doesn't bother me as long as the flavor is on. Only if the burn is really out of control because of obvious fabrication flaws and it's affecting my enjoyment such that l I need to pitch the cigar will I say it had a 'bad burn.'
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Namerifrats

I just think a nice even burn looks better. Doesn't have to be perfect, but not a 1/4 inch difference from one side compared to the other. I don't mind touching up either. I think a good bit of the enjoyment from a cigar come from the visuals. Cigars are graded based of several things, looks included. I think looks play a role in how a cigar is enjoyed as well, the ash (color, structure, shape after breaking off), the burn, etc. Speaking of ash, maybe I'm just weird but I like a light gray/white ash that is slightly rounded after is falling off. Hate those spears points...lol Maybe I'm just weird.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

if it burns funny, i fix it, its all better then i have no problem with them, gotta remember that its a hand made product and wont be perfect every time

that being said, if it runs, i fix it, then the next puff it begins running again and i have to continually fix the same burn issue every couple minutes, it becomes a problem that deters from my enjoyment of the cigar

stearns
Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I'd prefer a straight burn line if I had a choce, but I won't let a crooked one lessen a good cigar.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Walt

Depends on the cigar. Some sticks seem to be prone to burn problems and I've come to dealing with them (Camacho Diploma and Padilla Obsidian come to mind). Other cigars will drive me crazy if the burn line is out of control. In most cases I just touch them up and continue on, I don't ever recall tossing a cigar due to a poor burn line.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
I've found generally that a wonky burn line is usually a humidity/storage problem rather than a construction problem, so I have a hard time knocking a cigar for an issue I probably created in the first place. A little waviness and an occassional touch up doesn't bother me as long as the flavor is on. Only if the burn is really out of control because of obvious fabrication flaws and it's affecting my enjoyment such that l I need to pitch the cigar will I say it had a 'bad burn.'
Spot on, IMO.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

As Tom said, a sweet burn line is very nice, but a catch up here and there isn't so bad. As long as it doesn't go nuts and cause me more problems than my enjoyment and I can only remember one or two of those. I think plugged smokes aggravate way more than the burn patterns.

BTW, I've tried the old left-handed cigarette trick with using spit and my finger to "out" the run, but with a cigar, there's a lot more girth and it doesn't work as well. Sometime I use the spit-and-stop procedure with a little lighter action on the opposite side. It all depends on the smoke.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

There are soooo many things that can affect the way a cigar burns that it just doesn't really bother me if it starts to go south, so to speak. Inside/outside temps and humidity levels, wind blowing, type of wrapper, how I cut or punched it, etc. I just touch it up and continue to enjoy my smoke. Life's to short to get upset over whether my cigar is burning perfect or not.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

How far will you let a cigar 'run' until you correct it? I usually try and power through and let it correct itself. Once it gets to about 1/2 an inch I figure it's affecting the smoke volume and time to to touch it up.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

Pretty much been said. If I"m enjoying the smoke and the flavors, it's not an issue.
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

It irritates me, but does not affect my enjoyment of the cigar. I dont mind a touch up or two.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo

It's interesting to me that on some sites the burn line is very important. Here at the Asylum no one seem to care that much.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

These look bad to me!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

Too funny Darrell!!
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #17
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I do not factor burn into my opinion on a cigar unless it needs constant correction. That gets annoying. To me, burn is just a sign that the cigar is rolled and stored well, but we're still talking about a handmade product. Nothing is going to be perfect 100% of the time. In fact, I had an Opus 2 weeks ago that kept burning unevenly. It didn't bother me though because the cigar corrected itself and never got too ugly.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #18
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

I correct it and go on, however, I usually don't make the correction until it affects the flavor profile. I couldn't care less how it looks, it's all about the taste for me.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #19
BryanB
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (58)
VR
BryanB has a spectacular aura aboutBryanB has a spectacular aura about

Burn does not phase me as long as it taste good. I try to worry w/ the less important issues. It's all about taste.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Not a problem if it has to be done a couple of times. I do feel a little crosseyed after smoking because I peek at it every puff.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote