Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default AVO Limited Edition 2010 (Pre-release)

Size: 5.5×55, Super Robusto

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sungrown

Binder: Mexican grown, Sumatra seed

Filler: Dominican Ligero

Strength: Full

Price: Box of 10, $155.50

Grade: 9.1

Avo Uvezian was introduced to the cigar industry when he met Hendrik Kelner in 1982, though he began his career as a musician and later became a composer. The first AVO cigar went on sale in New York in 1988. The first year produced 100,000 cigars, which grew to over 3 million cigars per year within ten years. AVO cigars produce the XO Trio, XO Quartetto, Domaine, Signature, Puritos, 787, Classic, Maduro, and the Limited Edition line of cigars. Additionally, AVO produces a Lounge Edition cigar, which is sold exclusively in AVO Lounges across the world.

Edward Simon, brand manager of AVO, was kind enough to send us a care package last week that included two unbanded AVO Limited Edition 2010 cigars. The AVO LE10 will be released on March 22nd to select merchants with a retail price of $15.50. The stout Super Robusto, according to the press release (here), is made entirely of Dominican Ligero filler with a Mexican Sumatra binder and an Ecuadorian sungrown wrapper; it was produced in celebration of Avo Uvezian’s 84th birthday. Sold in boxes of 10 with a sliding lid, the outside shows a silver silhouette print of Avo and the AVO logo.

A dinner tour begins on March 17th in Salem, NH, at Two Guys Smoke Shop, to celebrate the release, where early samples of the AVO LE10 will be available; visitors will also enjoy the jazz piano playing of Avo and an intimate dinner party. Make sure to follow AVO on Twitter and visit them online to learn more about the upcoming release. AVO cigars have been distributed by Davidoff of Geneva since 1995, when Davidoff reportedly purchased the distribution rights for 10 million dollars.

So, let’s get right to it and toast this pre-release AVO LE10!

Pre-light, 1.9
The medium to dark brown wrapper was smooth to the touch with minimal veins. It had a good weight with nicely packed tobacco – the AVO was very appealing to the touch. The triple cap was constructed flawlessly and only added to the anticipation of toasting this cigar. The pre-light aroma was intriguing – meaty tobacco with an attic note at the foot and some fruit at the very end. The cold draw was of spice and fruit and the finish really lingered on the lips with some more spice.

Burn, 1.7:
Though I don’t usually break the burn down in thirds, this smoke really moved throughout the smoke time. The entire cigar had a good draw but the first third found me really pulling to get a mouthful of smoke. Inspection of the foot saw the wrapper and binder burning well but the ligero filler was mighty slow. The ash flowered as well in the first third which was surprising. In the second third, the AVO opened up, the ash layered up well, and the smoke produced an excellent mouthful of smoke with minimal effort. The last third reverted back to the first, with some effort required to get the amount of smoke I like. Lastly, the aroma of the smoke was intoxicating; this cigar filled my smoking room up with a pleasant aroma.

Flavor, 2.8
The AVO produced woody notes of ligero tobacco with a heavy finish. I would also like to make mention of some fruity notes here and there and the finish was very heavy with some spice. The second third seemed to smooth out a bit with less spice and more straight tobacco. The final third reverted back to the first, similar to the burn, with more spice and a longer finish. This cigar was more complex than I anticipated, but not quite as heavy as I imagined, being the filler is all Dominican ligero.

Overall, 2.7:
The AVO was pleasing from start to finish. I attributed the burn issues to the ligero and they were expected, so that was not detrimental to the enjoyment for me. At $15.50 a stick, however, I cannot put this in the regular rotation, but I do recommend it highly for an every now and then smoke to keep in the humidor, which keeps with the AVO 2010 Limited Edition theme.

(Total: 9.1)
Old 03-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
BillyCigars

Default Re: AVO Limited Edition 2010 (Pre-release)

Great review - looking forward to these!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
OHRD

Thanks Bill...they are a bit strong in price, at $15.50, but I think it's worth trying, since it's a Limited Edition. I need to try and find out the production run. Anyone know?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
MortonMilo
Blowing smoke

First Name: R
Trading: (10)
MortonMilo has disabled reputation

Hard to justify $15.50 when you can pick up 5 quality replacements for that cost
MortonMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonMilo View Post
Hard to justify $15.50 when you can pick up 5 quality replacements for that cost
I have to agree; I'd pick up one for the sheer fact that they are limited in nature, but beyond that, no way would I buy the box of 10 they are selling.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about

All that ligero tobacco makes me a little scared as I like medium to med-full, more than smash your face off full. But after reading what you said... I hope they bring some to the AVO event here in a week.

great review.

Dan
Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
SkinsFanLarry

Matt, thanks for your "spot on" review. I have been hearing nothing but "glowing" reviews about this cigar!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry View Post
Matt, thanks for your "spot on" review. I have been hearing nothing but "glowing" reviews about this cigar!
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts; will you purchase one?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
BillyCigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
Thanks Bill...they are a bit strong in price, at $15.50, but I think it's worth trying, since it's a Limited Edition. I need to try and find out the production run. Anyone know?
I'm not too scared at the price - it's an Avo LE afterall. I just wish they'd return to the 20-count boxes. 2008 was the last year they did 20 count boxes on the LE. They're like the Davidoff LEs that way. I know, I know: just buy 2 boxes right? But the price per stick has also gone waaaay up...

I too was initially reluctant to snag a bunch of these given the all-ligero filler (very un-Avo like) but from your review and seeing what others have said about its balance, I'm not too worried anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing how these turned out!

FWIW, the manager of the Davidoff store on Madison Avenue mentioned the production run on these is limited to 6,000 boxes; the most limited in recent years.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the review...I was curious about these.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCigars View Post
I'm not too scared at the price - it's an Avo LE afterall. I just wish they'd return to the 20-count boxes. 2008 was the last year they did 20 count boxes on the LE. They're like the Davidoff LEs that way. I know, I know: just buy 2 boxes right? But the price per stick has also gone waaaay up...

I too was initially reluctant to snag a bunch of these given the all-ligero filler (very un-Avo like) but from your review and seeing what others have said about its balance, I'm not too worried anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing how these turned out!

FWIW, the manager of the Davidoff store on Madison Avenue mentioned the production run on these is limited to 6,000 boxes; the most limited in recent years.
Thanks for the info Bill, are you referring to Michael?

The binder and wrapper supposedly balance out the strength of the ligero. Here is the press release w/ a bit more info:

Stamford, CT, February 9, 2010 – In celebration of Avo Uvezian’s 84th birthday, the legendary cigar composer presents another masterpiece, the Limited Edition 2010 AVO “LE10”. The LE10 continues the annual success story of Limited Editions with bold and full bodied blends dedicated to all AVO Aficionados and friends. After the huge success of the famed Compañero in 2009, Avo Uvezian is confident to release yet another outstanding limited edition cigar.

The “AVO Limited Edition LE2010” is a noble Super-Robusto format, measuring 55 x 5½”. The dark sun-grown wrapper awards the cigar with a precious, extremely elegant appearance. This full bodied AVO LE10 cigar, when smoked delivers pleasing aromas and a sophisticated taste that is only possible from the skillful blending of such high quality, well-aged tobaccos.

Although the filler is completely composed of full-bodied Ligero tobaccos, this opulent Super-Robusto remains balanced due to the combination with a Sumatra Mexico binder and the selected darker Ecuador Special Sun Grown wrapper.

A contemporary 10-cigar count box shows a silver Avo-silhouette-print of the Avo logo, which fades into the matt-black box color. The box has a sliding lid, which can be pulled out and put at the end of the box in a special and separate compartment. In a continuous dedication to present novelties to the trade the AVO LE10 box shows the lid design on retail shelves and the box serves as its’ own display.

The AVO LE10 will be launched at Select Merchants only, on March 22 with a retail price of $15.50 taxes not included.

A Cigar no aficionado should miss!!

To launch the AVO LE10, a series of unforgettable intimate evenings will be held where guests will enjoy fine food and wine, great jazz performed by Avo on the piano, as well as having the opportunity to be among the first to sample and purchase the AVO Limited Edition 2010 cigar, before becoming available to the public. Seating at each dinner is very limited, and the AVO Select Merchants expect to sell out within days of the event announcement.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review! I Love The '09's So I'm Sure I Will Sample These!
FWIW, I Consider The 09's Medium Bodied.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
cigarlvr
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (11)
cigarlvr is on a distinguished road

Nice review and great pictures how are they next to some of the other years they had?
cigarlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarlvr View Post
Nice review and great pictures how are they next to some of the other years they had?
I'll leave this to some others on the forum; the only other AVO I've had is the Lounge Edition, which was no good to me...
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
OHRD

Billy is right. This is from AVO Brand Manager, "60,000 cigars for the 2010. 20,000 less than Companero"
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
php007
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (35)
php007 will become famous soon enough

Well, since I am a AVO whore I have 7 boxes coming next week. Can't wait to try these.
php007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #17
whodeeni

Talking Re: AVO Limited Edition 2010 (Pre-release)

Greg If you consider the 09 medium bodied in spite of the fact that the final third is damn near all ligero, i'm scared of you. Smoking the '09 is akin to listening to a well developed Crescendo! It's super strong at the end!

Great review Greg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Great Review! I Love The '09's So I'm Sure I Will Sample These!
FWIW, I Consider The 09's Medium Bodied.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #18
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodeeni View Post
Greg If you consider the 09 medium bodied in spite of the fact that the final third is damn near all ligero, i'm scared of you. Smoking the '09 is akin to listening to a well developed Crescendo! It's super strong at the end!

Great review Greg!
From what I'm told, this is the strongest LE they've made...
Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #19
Green Lantern
of Sector 2814

First Name: Alex
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
Green Lantern is on a distinguished road

This cigar is quite AWESOME!!!! I was able to smoke a couple of prereleases and I smoked a couple LE10s before and after the AVO Dinner at Corona Cigar Co. I never had the oppurtunity to smoke any LE5s, but the LE10 is my favorite Limited edition by Avo to date!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
This cigar is quite AWESOME!!!! I was able to smoke a couple of prereleases and I smoked a couple LE10s before and after the AVO Dinner at Corona Cigar Co. I never had the oppurtunity to smoke any LE5s, but the LE10 is my favorite Limited edition by Avo to date!
I've heard others call it their favorite LE as well...and their strongest.