Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #3241
Big Bert
Been a long time coming

First Name: Albert
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
Big Bert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Oh great mother of ......... This is heaven I just stumble upon. Seriously guys don't mind asking me to come over please do lol I need to learn to smoke meats man those things look mouth watering..
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #3242
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Albert, I will grant you that this board is awfully slow right now, but you could age a few years before you
worked your way through all the great material on this site. This is my favorite thread in fact. Just the meat
pics alone, excluding all the good tips and info and discussion, makes it a phenomenal thread. If you like
liquors, beer and wine there are equally as gigantic threads for those kinds of things round here....lotso passions
in the old asylum. Like no other board on the winternet, you will SURELY find it here. Welcome.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #3243
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

My WSM came this week, so I thought that yesterday being the hottest day of the year, would be the perfect time to fire him up for his inaugural smoke. I went with something easy to start with, a beer can chicken. There wasn't a whole lot of forethought put into is so I just did a quick rub with olive oil and a sprinkle of lemon pepper and Weber Kick'n Chicken seasoning. I also used the opportunity to start breaking my my new Tinsky I got in April.

The chicken could have been seasoned more, but the meat was perfect.
Right now I've got 8 lbs of bacon dry curing in the fridge, and I should be receiving my new a-maze-n smoker tomorrow, so sometime this weekend I'll be cold smoking the pork, and I promised the wife I'd do a turkey breast for her as well.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #3244
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Plannin on COOKIN that bird, Quan? lol.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #3245
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Plannin on COOKIN that bird, Quan? lol.
I swear I was thinking the same thing.
I'm starting to get on the same wavelength as Brad.
Next thing you know I'll be boycotting the Saints!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #3246
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I picked up a Char Griller Akorn 2 weeks ago and I love this thing! Lowe's had them for $299 and with the cover, extra grate to holder the diffuser, and diffuser (a 14" glazed flowerpot water pan), I'm in it for $350 (12 month no interest). Always wanted a smoker/grill/kamado. It is metal with interior insulation and a porcelain glaze on the inside. I could never justify spending upwards of $1000 (or more) on a ceramic kamado, but I've always wanted one. This thing was cheap enough and built well enough for me to finally give the kamado world a try. It will hover at 225F or 250F and will jump up to damn hot very quickly. So far I've slow-cooker a 5 lb brisket and 3 full racks of baby back ribs. The brisket cooked at 230-240F for 4 hours and sat wrapped in foil, a towel, and in a cooler for 3 more hours. It was awesome! The ribs cooked at 350F for 1.5 hours, then I shut the vents and let it slowly cool to around 200F for another half hour or so. I skipped the sauce on the ribs, as the meat was rubbed prior to cooking and tasted great. Sorry no pictures this time, but I will get some next time. Butts are next. Costco has a two pack I'm eying.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #3247
OLS
Suck It

For a 'discount" manufacturer, I like the Char-Griller stuff. I had a hand-me-down smoker that I got from a guy
whose landlord was threatening him to get it OFF the pool patio, so we threw it in my truck bed and I was smoking
the next weekend. But the bottom fell out after a couple more months of intense training. To replace it, I went with
the CG unit I have pictured a few pages back. Heavy gauge steel and perfect for my method of meat-smoking. I am
gonna be on the lookout for that egg-beater you got there and see it up close. Don't really NEED one, but I'd like
to take a gander...or smoke one.

I saw this page which is really descriptive http://bbq.setzler.net/2012/02/29/char-griller-kamado/

Last edited by OLS; 06-21-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #3248
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

You'll love it, Brad. After years of looking at Primos, BGEs, Big Steel Kegs, etc., when I saw this guy at Lowe's I knew it was a done deal. I did buy some high temp nomex strip to further seal the lid and ash bottom seal. It comes with this tubular chinese finger trap-looking material as the sealing gasket. It works alright, but I wanted as close to air tight as I could get. It's a cooking machine!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #3249
Big Bert
Been a long time coming

First Name: Albert
HUpmann
Big Bert will become famous soon enough

OLS I believe you man I been reading the scotch thread a bit and I admit there just a ton of info in this site, its not just only excellent for cigars but food and liquors equally.... man its like a library of great living lol. I'm looking forward to learning much more from everyone in the asylum, I doubt ill Ever stop learning which is awesome
Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #3250
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, it got a little hot at the beginning, but I got the vents adjusted an he settled down.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #3251
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Made a few more pizzas last night, hand tossed dough seared in a pan (comal) before loading it up and taking it out to the smoker. Cook for about 20 minutes at 400-450 then remove the lid to the smoker and move the pizzas over the coals to burn the bottoms a bit. The last part only takes a few seconds, so you have to keep them moving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker_pizza_22june12_100_4129.jpg (93.4 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg smoker_pizza_22june12_100_4130.jpg (89.9 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by T.G; 06-22-2012 at 08:49 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #3252
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Great looking pizzas!
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #3253
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
So far I've slow-cooker a 5 lb brisket and 3 full racks of baby back ribs. The brisket cooked at 230-240F for 4 hours and sat wrapped in foil, a towel, and in a cooler for 3 more hours.
And that was enough time to cook the brisket?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #3254
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bert View Post
man its like a library of great living lol.
haha, that's basically what the OTHER C.a.
wanted to be, but they can't stop arguing long enough to be great. I WILL GRANT YOU that we have a
share of blowhards (me) and we have some real elitist doofuses, but a lot of what you will read is hard-won
knowledge passed on willingly and gladly by one to another here. I will stop thread jacking now, but you
found the spot, man.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #3255
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
The chicken could have been seasoned more, but the meat was perfect.
Hart to season a smoked bird since the skin is usually inedible. I always DO eat it, but I am not sure
I digest it. I think maybe you should get a Cajun Injector. That'll get that spice into the bird. I did a
infomercial for the guy that invented that thing before there was any such thing as a infomercial....
Did it LIVE, too, lol.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #3256
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Just threw these babies on the smoker. 4 racks or pork ribs. they're for a welcome home/happy fathers day/happy birthday party for me. I'm not even mad that I have to cook for my own party. LOL

Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #3257
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Nice before pic, but I want to see an after pic too. (but before they're eaten)
Old 06-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #3258
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
Just threw these babies on the smoker. 4 racks or pork ribs. they're for a welcome home/happy fathers day/happy birthday party for me. I'm not even mad that I have to cook for my own party. LOL

Looks like a good way to go Earl! Again, welcome home brother!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #3259
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Steve.

and Derrick, I'll be sure to get some more pics up.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #3260
smitty81
Have My Own Room

smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
Thanks Steve.

and Derrick, I'll be sure to get some more pics up.
I'll be there in about 3 hours Earl.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote