Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #6501
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
Bob i would start with the .40 and see if its for you before you jump into 223/556 or both. Pistol is easier to reload. The case brass for pistols won't expand like rifle brass will. As long as your OAL for your .40 is good to go the entire round should be good to go. You can save some money so you don't have to buy a brass trimmer and primer swag for your 556 that way. If you like/enjoy reloading then you can go get the proper equipment to reload for your 223/556. Unless money aint no thang then do both!!
Anything with a straight wall or not bottle neck shape is pretty easy to load. If you start with new brass you should be able to get two or three reloads before the brass becomes measurably longer. Watch for discoloration just above the bottom crimp or primer plate. This could indicate the brass may be weakening. get the manual first determine the loads you want to experiment with. If you really start getting into it you can learn the math for the chamber pressures and how it effect accuracy.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #6502
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Bob i would start with the .40 and see if its for you before you jump into 223/556 or both. Pistol is easier to reload. The case brass for pistols won't expand like rifle brass will. As long as your OAL for your .40 is good to go the entire round should be good to go. You can save some money so you don't have to buy a brass trimmer and primer swag for your 556 that way. If you like/enjoy reloading then you can go get the proper equipment to reload for your 223/556. Unless money aint no thang then do both!!
Since I'm near you, any chance of a primer (pun intended) lesson?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #6503
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
Anything with a straight wall or not bottle neck shape is pretty easy to load. If you start with new brass you should be able to get two or three reloads before the brass becomes measurably longer. Watch for discoloration just above the bottom crimp or primer plate. This could indicate the brass may be weakening. get the manual first determine the loads you want to experiment with. If you really start getting into it you can learn the math for the chamber pressures and how it effect accuracy.
Good info. I have to look do some research first to see if it's another hobby I need and can afford. As I've been told, you don't end up saving money as you tend to shoot more, offsetting the savings.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #6504
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Good info. I have to look do some research first to see if it's another hobby I need and can afford. As I've been told, you don't end up saving money as you tend to shoot more, offsetting the savings.
I think you would be lucky to break even. I always find myself saying "meh.. cheaper then buying it at the store.. lets go shoot!" unfortunately I have yet to find a valid reason to tell myself "no.. don't go shoot".

I've heard if your using a different material case they will only last 2-3 rounds before you start to have to size them or toss them but I've heard brass you can shoot A TON before you trim or toss em.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #6505
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Since I'm near you, any chance of a primer (pun intended) lesson?
Absolutely! It's super easy. only the 5.56 will have mil spec crimp since obviously .223 is not mil spec. It's easy to spot if they have it or not and your deprimer in your turret press won't like it either and will refuse to take it out. As far as I am aware of no pistol ammo will have that primer crimp so you shouldn't need a primer swag for your .40
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #6506
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Absolutely! It's super easy. only the 5.56 will have mil spec crimp since obviously .223 is not mil spec. It's easy to spot if they have it or not and your deprimer in your turret press won't like it either and will refuse to take it out. As far as I am aware of no pistol ammo will have that primer crimp so you shouldn't need a primer swag for your .40
Thanks! I got your PM as well. I'll get in touch with ya to set something up soon. Gotta see what my work entails first. Gonna be busy on the new Mustang.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #6507
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Thanks! I got your PM as well. I'll get in touch with ya to set something up soon. Gotta see what my work entails first. Gonna be busy on the new Mustang.
Ohh tasty! ! What kinda mustang?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #6508
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Ohh tasty! ! What kinda mustang?
The new '15.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #6509
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Nice
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #6510
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
nice.

throw some pics up here and on my other site www.moddedmustangs.com
Old 01-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #6511
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

I miss my Mustang.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Old 02-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #6512
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

got my alien gear holster in.

and went to my best-friends place and put together my ar.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #6513
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8zeros View Post
I have a 16 in. flat top floating barrel AR with no sights on it yet. I can't see through iron sights so well any more and no sense in putting a scope on this. I already have a scoped 20" HBAR setup.
What ideas y'all have for sighting this? I've already done some research but I'm throwin' it out here.
Quote:
eotech aimpoint or trijicon!
Yep, quality name brands. I was wondering about things like toughness, reliability, ease of sight acquisition, battery life, size and weight, ease of zeroing and of course price. Just anyone else's experience here.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #6514
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Picked this up yesterday. Slightly used, but in excellent shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (118.4 KB, 183 views)
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #6515
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Picked this up yesterday. Slightly used, but in excellent shape.
Love mine!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #6516
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Love mine!
Cool! I can't wait to take it to the range.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #6517
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Good grab Bob, I really liked mine, like my Shield better though.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #6518
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Good grab Bob, I really liked mine, like my Shield better though.
It was a toss up between the two. I didn't like the palm feel of the thin grip on the Shield as much. But I bet it's nicer to carry. Hey, ya never know. With the OT I'm going to get this year, I may end up with a Shield too.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #6519
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
It was a toss up between the two. I didn't like the palm feel of the thin grip on the Shield as much. But I bet it's nicer to carry. Hey, ya never know. With the OT I'm going to get this year, I may end up with a Shield too.
Ya, the thinness finally won me over, I was getting lazy about carrying, the thinner Shield will hopefully help that

Ya, just buy another, can never have too many
Old 02-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #6520
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Ya, the thinness finally won me over, I was getting lazy about carrying, the thinner Shield will hopefully help that

Ya, just buy another, can never have too many
Got that right. I'm probably going to be in the market for a new safe too at this rate.