Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Flushing your only key... down a gas station toile

Tuesday evening, my wife and I left our home in Amarillo, TX to visit her family for belated Christmas in New Years. Her family lives in NW Arkansas (Centerton to be exact). Well, to jazz things up this year, her parents took us, her brother and sister in law, and themselves to Branson, MO for a couple days. All expenses paid (hotel, meals, etc). And her aunt and uncle and two cousins surprised us and went up for one of the nights. The plan was to hang out, shop (outlet mall), eat, etc. Just have a general good time and not have to clean up after ourselves.

Well, it's about a 2 hour drive from Centerton to Branson (the way we went anyway). And on this drive there is a small, tiny, no stoplight, town called Alpena. I was relegated to the back seat (I normally drive 100% of the time, but for some reason I did not this time, bad omen) while my wife and her mom were up front. Dad was still at work and the brother and sister in law were coming from Little Rock.

So we stop at the gas station to use the facilities and for my wife to fix her contact. I'm waiting for them to finish up in the potty, and my wife comes out and informs me that she has flushed our only key to our car down the toilet.

She was not joking

The bathrooms were tiny, about 4x6 feet. and one of her pockets was messed up (the one with the key) and she pulled the key out to fix it, but it got caught and fell out of her hand into the flushing toilet. And disappeared.

So she's freaking out, I'm... upset, but don't want to make her feel worse so I stay mostly quiet. We tell the staff (friendliest people ever thankfully), and they inform of that there is a cleanout area for the septic tank, and they're probably caught up in there (apparently this has happened before at that station). So we dig around for a while (ok like 2 hours) trying to find this cover as it was buried a while back before having success. (Note: all cell phones are locked in the car).

So we are using people's phones, calling her dad who is back in NWA getting a key made (not cheap, and he paid for it), and we're running around trying to figure out what to do.

At this point, everyone in Alpena is aware of the situation and is ready to offer their opinion. Thankfully, one guy, knew a guy who works on GM cars. This was good because the Key (for an 08 G6) has a chip in it, that must be programmed to the individual car. He informs me of the manual way to program the key (so we don't have to wait 2 days to use a dealer's computer as it was NYE and everyone was closed).

So to keep this from being several pages, we spent 5 hours at this shell station, had to get a new key, got towed to the nearest deal (Harrison, AR) incase the programming of the key didn't work, my back was sore from digging, etc.

Quite a beginning to the trip. Thankfully, the trick worked and the key was "learned" to the car, and her parents paid for the towing and key (probably 300 bucks total I would guess) and the rest of the trip was a lot of fun and we're now home safely.

So, if you buy a gently used car, and they only have one key for you, make a copy, don't wait until you've flushed the good one.

I will be making SEVERAL copies come monday.

thanks for listening
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flushing your only key... down a gas station t

that sucks man, at least everything worked out and at least it was a car key and not a wedding ring.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

What a feeling of helplessness! Indeed, I have an extra car and house key in my wallet.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Wow, thanks for reminding me I need another copy, or 20, for my car keys. Sounds like a hell of a start to the family get together. Hope the rest of the trip was better then the first 10 hours or so.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

the trip on the whole was great, but it had quite an interesting start
Old 01-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Cigary

Boy that brings back memories,,,not to tell my own tale of woe it was very nearly the same story. Lesson learned, I now have 3 copies of my car keys just in case and so far I have had to use "emergency" keys now about a half dozen times.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Really glad it turned out OK... what a story!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear of the key...but it makes for a good story. I keep a spare in my wallet for those just in case happenings.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Glad all turned out well....sounds like a $hitty situation.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Glad all turned out well....sounds like a $hitty situation.
just a pissy one
Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
j-easy

you can buy the keys online that have the chips already embedded in them, then have them cut by a locksmith, explain that you know it will need programed. and do the reprogramming yourself. (you just stick the original key in a couple times and do some specific turns) i did it for my mazda, to get a key made at the dealer and programmed they wanted like 100 bucks, i bought the key online for 20 bucks i think and i knew a guy that was a locksmith and i had him cut it for me.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I guess you could say your day "went down the toilet".

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

I tell you what......in a fellow BOTL's back yard and not even a cigar......

Hate to hear about the trouble. Funny thing is I know the gas station, the GM guy, and the owner of the dealership you went to. I grew up in Harrison and have been through Alpena many many times(beerruns). On top of that, I work in Bentonville and live about 20 minutes away. I talked to a buddy and he mentioned hearing about some poor guy who lost his keys down the toilet.....small small world. Glad it turned out well.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak_rat View Post

Hate to hear about the trouble. Funny thing is I know the gas station, the GM guy, and the owner of the dealership you went to. I grew up in Harrison and have been through Alpena many many times(beerruns). On top of that, I work in Bentonville and live about 20 minutes away. I talked to a buddy and he mentioned hearing about some poor guy who lost his keys down the toilet.....small small world. Glad it turned out well.
Close but no cigar.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:

My family is from Harrison. Me, I've never been there.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear it all worked out for ya.
Made the same 1 key mistake before, pricey.
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:

no kidding?! yeah, the guy's name was Ron M (I'll spare putting his whole name up) heck of a nice guy

I went to college at JBU in Siloam, so I spent a lot of time in the area, and my wife's whole family, save her brother live in Bentonville or Centerton. If I could ever escape family obligations while visiting I'd love to get together with some of you guys
Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
no kidding?! yeah, the guy's name was Ron M (I'll spare putting his whole name up) heck of a nice guy

I went to college at JBU in Siloam, so I spent a lot of time in the area, and my wife's whole family, save her brother live in Bentonville or Centerton. If I could ever escape family obligations while visiting I'd love to get together with some of you guys
Any time man. We have about 10 local guys who meet in Fayetteville. I live up in Pea Ridge. There is also a new cigar/pipe shop opened up in Rogers. You should stop in next time your around.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

I can relate I lost more darn sets of keys in the lake and and around the marina I used to work at. The rule at the marina was that you owed all the people that worked with a case of beer if you fell in the water or dropped your keys in the drink
Glad you did not have to pay that piper and all worked out well
Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #20
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Any time man. We have about 10 local guys who meet in Fayetteville. I live up in Pea Ridge. There is also a new cigar/pipe shop opened up in Rogers. You should stop in next time your around.
definitely, I actually lived a summer in rogers (2005) to work between my jr and sr years of undergrad. they key is keeping my inlaws in the dark, they don't look kindly on tobacco hobbies

where is the new shop exactly?