Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
innova

Default How do you sear?

Being a firm believer in the Maillard Reaction, I'm always trying to get a great sear on beef. During the winter, I generally preheat a cast iron skillet in the oven at 500, then move it to the gas range for a bit, then drop the steaks in for a couple mins/side before i move it to the broiler to finish. This worked ok, but it doesn't take long for the sear to turn to more of a "fry" when the fat overtakes the heat.

This week the weather broke a bit and I was able to fire up the grill. So I lit the chimney charcoal, and dumped them in the weber when they were ready, and immediately placed the cast iron directly in the coals for about 10 minutes. When I dropped the ribeyes on that thing, I got that high pitch sizzle I've only heard in restaurants, and it seared the whole time, "dry". I couldn't believe the difference.

Anyone use this method or have any input on getting a great, high temp sear? I may try putting the cast iron directly on the charcoal chimney, as I hear this reaches temps nearing 1000F. Grilling season is just about here in the mid-atlantic!

-innova