Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #2321
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Thanks guys next cigar I think I will give a punch cutter a try.
Have you tried a v cut yet? Sort of a hybrid between the punch and full cut. I like them.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #2322
Simple1
Livin' the dream

First Name: Brian
Trading: (14)
ERdM
Simple1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks guys next cigar I think I will give a punch cutter a try.
Always an option is to find someone into firearms and sharpen a piece of spent brass to use as a punch. Options would be .223, .243, .270, or .308/30-06. Anyone who shoots should have something laying around.
Simple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #2323
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple1 View Post
Always an option is to find someone into firearms and sharpen a piece of spent brass to use as a punch. Options would be .223, .243, .270, or .308/30-06. Anyone who shoots should have something laying around.
I hunt with a 243 so I have plenty of those laying around but it would probably be a mess to try and sharpen it. I have a punch on the end of one of my lighters that should come in handy. If i get board over the summer or something though I may give sharpening a casing a try.

Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #2324
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
Have you tried a v cut yet? Sort of a hybrid between the punch and full cut. I like them.
No I don't have one so I haven't gotten the opportunity to try one. What is the benefit from a v cut that is different from the punch or full?
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
Old 03-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #2325
Simple1
Livin' the dream

First Name: Brian
Trading: (14)
ERdM
Simple1 will become famous soon enough

Very easy to sharpen. Just wrap a tapered punch or something like that in sandpaper and spin it around the inside of the neck a few times. If you have a reamer, it works even better, with just a few spins inside.
Simple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #2326
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
No I don't have one so I haven't gotten the opportunity to try one. What is the benefit from a v cut that is different from the punch or full?
The cutter takes a nice wedge out of the cap of the cigar. The opening created is larger than the hole of a punch but still much smaller than a full cut. I like to use them on large ring cigars and those with notoriously loose draws. But really, they work well on any cigar that's not too small or pointed. I also like the fact that it keeps the rounded shape on the cap intact which, to me anyway, is a nice mouth feel. I can send you a few if you'd like. PM me if interested.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #2327
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

So what is the big deal with the Fuente Opus X? I have seen them referenced on here a few times and I checked them out on a few sites and they are super expensive. What is it that makes them so expensive and are they really that good?

Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #2328
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

They are somewhat rare, certain stores get them more frequently then others. Some on here will say they are over rated and not worth the coin. I am lucky enough to live in an area where I see them all the time and Holt's has them and Anejo sharks at Fuente Mania for a VERY decent price point (a lot of places jack the prices up). I love Opus it is one of the few non-Cubans I smoke, their smaller ring gauge smokes being my favorites especially their Petite Coronas! But that is my personal opinion and everyone is entitled theirs, if you find one for $15 or less I say buy it and try it for yourself, otherwise regardless of the size you are overpaying!! (Oh and they get better and better with age)
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #2329
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
They are somewhat rare, certain stores get them more frequently then others. Some on here will say they are over rated and not worth the coin. I am lucky enough to live in an area where I see them all the time and Holt's has them and Anejo sharks at Fuente Mania for a VERY decent price point (a lot of places jack the prices up). I love Opus it is one of the few non-Cubans I smoke, their smaller ring gauge smokes being my favorites especially their Petite Coronas! But that is my personal opinion and everyone is entitled theirs, if you find one for $15 or less I say buy it and try it for yourself, otherwise regardless of the size you are overpaying!! (Oh and they get better and better with age)
/\ all the info you need right there
Old 03-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #2330
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
/\ all the info you need right there
Well, close. Send and email to tampqasweethearts.com, they are the Factory store for Fuente. They will email you a list of HTF Fuentes including Anejo's and OpusX. You have to call or email them for the list as it changes daily.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #2331
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
+1

Patience with an Opus X is rewarded. If you can, buy one and let it rest for a few years.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #2332
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

Thanks guys i will keep that in mind. Im not sure if i am ready for that kind of commitment just yet but maybe in the future. So far the most expensive cigars i have gotten are the Macanudo Vintage 2006. I got a fiver from the devil site for 25. I plan to smoke them at the end of the school year to celebrate with some friends before Vicarage (it is a one year internship so we will be apart for a year before we come back for our final year of seminary).
Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #2333
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

So, are you going to be a priest?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #2334
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

I'm lutheran so we are called pastors. Roman Catholics are the only ones who call their ministers priests. I can explain why that is if you would like but it would probably be best to just PM you.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #2335
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm lutheran so we are called pastors. Roman Catholics are the only ones who call their ministers priests. I can explain why that is if you would like but it would probably be best to just PM you.
Gotcha, just didn't know which religion
Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #2336
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

haha yeah fair enough. We get confused for priests a lot since we still wear clerical collars, but since we are Lutheran we can get married which confuses people when I am with my fiancé wearing one.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #2337
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
haha yeah fair enough. We get confused for priests a lot since we still wear clerical collars, but since we are Lutheran we can get married which confuses people when I am with my fiancé wearing one.
I am gonna feel bad about a man of the cloth, but I will get over it
Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #2338
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

haha well thats ok if you repent I will forgive you . Btw your grenade should arrive later today (its saturday already Eastern Time).
Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #2339
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Mike you PM'ed me by accident, Michael seems like Mike is interested, or he just wanted to ask me about the Lutheran faith...and I doubt that.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #2340
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Mike you PM'ed me by accident, Michael seems like Mike is interested, or he just wanted to ask me about the Lutheran faith...and I doubt that.
thanks Adam I'll PM him. I didn't wanna post too much religious stuff here cause I don't want to break the rules not intentionally trying to convert people just explaining what I am doing with my life.