Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
kayaker

Default What kind of cutter/punch do you use?

I've searched through the Accessory threads for discussions on cutters and ones on Xikar vs Palio or using punches. I think there was even a thread about using knives to remove the caps.

So here is the question stated another way: How do you prep the end of your cigar?
And the follow questions: Do you prefer a particular brand name tool or have you found a generic one that works? Do you prefer cutter or punch or V notch or pocket knife?

I'll start. My first cutter was just a generic cheapie one and it worked pretty well. I bought a Cigar Star one online and it was useless. The blades were loose and dull. Finally I received a Palio from SilverFox in my first NST. It has always worked perfectly for me. I haven't had the opportunity to try any others.

I have used a punch on a few occasions, but generally prefer a cut. I have had to use a knife once or twice, but still prefer a cutter.

I have never used a V Notch or scissors.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: What kind of cutter/punch do you use?

I prefer to punch, otherwise I cut with the Palio that Mark (Conch Republican) gifted me.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to punch all my sticks. Now I use my Palio and clip it!!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I prefer to punch, otherwise I cut with the Palio that Mark (Conch Republican) gifted me.
Why? Just curious.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Why? Just curious.
I prefer a punch as well when the cigar is within the "right" ring guage zone for me, otherwise I'll cut it with a double-blade guillotine.

I currently use a cheapo $2 punch that's easily replaced and also a $3 cheapo guillotine. The problem is that, though easily replaced, they are OFTEN replaced. I'll be getting a better quality punch and cutter ASAP.

I prefer the punch cut because in my opinion it preserves the integrity of the structure of the cap and head of the cigar more than any other cut. The problems I've run into are that too small RG cigars are difficult to punch, too large RG cigars won't smoke as well (for me) when punched, and cigars with delicate, fragile or dry wrappers crack to hell and gone when my paws get a hold of them and try to punch. In all those cases I'll use the cutter instead.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Trading: (26)
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

I started with a cheap guillotine, then bought a Xikar and then a Palio.
I also tried a punch once when I first started with cigars but had difficulty with the draw and have been using either the Xikar or Palio exclusively.
I recently tried (an inexpensive) punch again and now use it on occasion when I am smoking something other than a torpedo, which are my favorite vitola.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
I prefer the punch cut because in my opinion it preserves the integrity of the structure of the cap and head of the cigar more than any other cut. The problems I've run into are that too small RG cigars are difficult to punch, too large RG cigars won't smoke as well (for me) when punched, and cigars with delicate, fragile or dry wrappers crack to hell and gone when my paws get a hold of them and try to punch. In all those cases I'll use the cutter instead.
Cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
I prefer a punch as well when the cigar is within the "right" ring guage zone for me, otherwise I'll cut it with a double-blade guillotine.

Ditto on the punch. I received the one I currently use from Smokin Gator through the NST II. My first cutter was a cheap plastic Macanudo single blade which worked but sucked. My next was a double guillotine ss cutter from China via Ebay that cost like $3 but works great. I am currently using a fiberglass xicar cutter that I got free with a fiver from Monster. The xicar is great. Haven't tried a Palio but I think I'd like to get one in the future.

By the way, I've seen one person use there teeth with some success.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
DoctorBJ

Hm.. I have a punch for smaller cigars or sometimes cheaper cigars that don't hold up to cutting as well. Also, I keep the punch with me, so if I find myself smoking a cigar when I wasn't planing to, I'm set.

As for cutters, I have a few cheap metal ones. They seem to work well. I've never tried a Palio. How much are they? Are they worth extra cash?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
ZJB

I punch with the bottom of my Xikar Element or if its a torp the Xi1. I prefer the punch seems to stay cleaner and find to get a bit more flavor or maybe that's just in my head, but that's what I do.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Why? Just curious.
It's harder for me to **** up the cap with a punch then with a cutter I also get less tobacco in my mouth and the cigar won't unravel on me.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

If it's something with a tightly rolled pigtail like the Kristoffs, I'll just bite it off. Otherwise, it's my Palio. I think I paid just under $50 for mine, but they also have a lifetime warranty. I had an issue with the tabs on the rails jamming, and Palio replaced it. So now I'm thinking of getting another one to replace the cheapie Wolf cutter I carry in my golf bag.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #13
leasingthisspace

I have cheapies of both a double blade cutter and a punch. I pick which one to use depending on the cigar cap. If I have issues with my cheapies I may look at something better but until then they work for now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
SkinsFanLarry

My first choice is my Palio cutter, damn I love that cutter, than comes my Wolf V-Cutter and than my punch (54 and above cigars).
Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
dinder1
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Din
Trading: (0)
dinder1 is on a distinguished road

I have tried pretty much every cutter out there and now that my stash of Havana Cigar Cutters has run dry (my previous favorite) I use a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cigar Cutter.
For me the Cuban Crafters cutter at $15.00 is a steal! Great clean cut, heavy duty construction, lifetime warranty.
dinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
str8edg

I started by using a razor blade, while I waited for my Xikar to be sent.

I used that for a while then Navydoc sent me a Palio cutter and brother I love that cutter.

I see what you guys are saying about a punch and I think I will have to try that out some day. But for now I am all about my Palio!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

SilverFox turned me on to using a Kershaw Onion assisted opening knife to slice off the a smidgen of the cap. If I don't go that way, I use my Xikar.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
SilverFox turned me on to using a Kershaw Onion assisted opening knife to slice off the a smidgen of the cap.
In the past I used a knife point to cut a hole in the cap kind of the way a punch would. Today I tried using the blade of a belt knife I have. I rolled the cap over the blade to get through the wrapped, then was able to slice through the binder/filler. It worked pretty good but requires a sharp knife. I think this could also present problems if the stick was dry and brittle.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #19
dccraft

I almost always use a V cutter. Sometimes I put 2 V's on the larger RG smokes. Habit I guess.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

was primarily a punch for yeays, mainly because it was built into my lighter (Nice triple soft flame Colibri).....now use my Palio with great success