Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
ysr_racer

Default My funny Southern California story !!

Here's a funny work story.

I work for one of the largest corporations in the USA, and most of you do business with us either directly or indirectly on a daily basis. The fact that I live in So Cal, one of the most PC, crybaby, nanny-state places on Earth just makes it more fun.

If someone sneezes and someone else says "bless you", some crybaby atheist will go crying to HR.

Today it was my turn "to get the call". I show up, and there is one HR consultant and the HR Director.

They tell me about our policy on tolerance and diversity, and that we don't tolerate racial slurs. Nobody's more PC than me so I shocked, shocked I tell ya'

I asked them what I said, and they replied that someone had heard me use the term "Slope" to describe somebody. When they said that all I could do was laugh. They asked me if I thought it was funny, and I said "no".

Chuckling, I said I actually used the term "Sloper". The HR women asked, "Is that different"?

And I said, "Yeah, a Sloper is my friend Dan that works up in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska (on the north slope), that thing you said is offensive to Asians".

I thought she was going to cry, then I added, "Have you seen a picture of my wife, she's from the Philippines".

They're getting back to me

Last edited by ysr_racer; 05-03-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: My funny Southern California story !!

Gotta love the Republic of Kalifornia!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Give 'em hell Brad!!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Brilliant.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

That's hilarious, Chief.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Cigar Mike
Thankful.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (2)
Montecristo CoastGuard (Deployed)
Cigar Mike is on a distinguished road

Wow...

A few years ago (also in S. Ca) part of my job involved setting new passwords and pass phrases for users on a computer network. We used a program that took about four or five dictionary words at random and threw some special characters in, and emailed the user directly on another account. One day a guy I'd never even met at an office 200 miles south of me needed a password, I ran the script, and within an hour I had an HR person and a lawyer on the phone with me with a racism complaint. Turns out there was a common English word in his password that applied to his race in a derogatory manner.

It took hours to explain how the password generator worked and how I had nothing to do with the words the program picked. When they told me what it said, I was completely unaware that the word in question was even a racial slur in any context....
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
ysr_racer

Come on CM tell us what the password was, or at least pm it to me
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

That's funny crap right there Brad. Thank God here in the middle of nowhere we aren't that PC but we know what lines to cross and what ones not too.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post

When they told me what it said, I was completely unaware that the word in question was even a racial slur in any context....
Unfortunately, we have grown so PC anal in this country, that anyone can say just about any word has some racial, gender, religious, age, physical condition, mental condition, etc ..... slur attached to it, and get a lawyer to take their case!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

It's really more a byproduct of working for a huge corporation than being in California. I've lived here my whole life and never encountered anyone that ridiculous. Now, I've heard the Bay Area is a little different...
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Unfortunately, we have grown so PC anal in this country, that anyone can say just about any word has some racial, gender, religious, age, physical condition, mental condition, etc ..... slur attached to it, and get a lawyer to take their case!
That about sums it up as everyone is always looking for a way to get rich quick with as little work as possible. The fact that someone overheard your conversation and even had the balls to report it to HR is total BS in my opinion. Mind your business and clean the sand out of your v@gina!
Fortunately, I have been rather lucky with the people I have worked with my entire life as the person who reported you would not have lasted 12 seconds around us as most of the places I have worked and the people I work with now ball busting is usually high up on the priority list. Now I'm going to hear from Svillekids lawyers because I called him stupid with the emoticon.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
That about sums it up as everyone is always looking for a way to get rich quick with as little work as possible. The fact that someone overheard your conversation and even had the balls to report it to HR is total BS in my opinion. Mind your business and clean the sand out of your v@gina!
Fortunately, I have been rather lucky with the people I have worked with my entire life as the person who reported you would not have lasted 12 seconds around us as most of the places I have worked and the people I work with now ball busting is usually high up on the priority list. Now I'm going to hear from Svillekids lawyers because I called him stupid with the emoticon.
I'm absolutely crushed. Devastated. I'll never be able to work again. Everytime I see a cigar, I'll flash back to this one instance in my life, and I'll never be able to enjoy a cigar, ever again. How could you be sooooo cruel!!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure some of you post here and on other cigar BB's while at work....I post at a few other cigar BB's other than this one, and yes, I do look in on them at times while on lunch break. Well, on one of them, a new person signed up, supposedly her boyfriend posted there frequently. The new person started posting quite a bit right off the bat, like she already knew everyone there, making some rather suggestive posts, etc. I get home from work and check on one of the threads "she" started and one of the mods posted that their IP addy matched the one my posts from work appeared under... I PM'ed him/her and put them on the spot, but of course they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. Well, the next day they posted some more, but according to the owner of the cigar BB, each one of their posts on the second day was made under some sort of anonymous proxy. Yeah, I have a feeling someone at work was attempting to spy on what I was doing. F*&^% them.