Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Phil Lausafee

Default Estate Pipes

So another newb question for me.

I'm assuming estate pipes are "used". Why are they so expensive? And is there an extensive cleaning process for them?

What is the best estate pipe sale website?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
maconusmile

Default Re: Estate Pipes

I think they are sometimes higher because of the charachter of them. I am not sure about cleaning process because I don't smoke them I just collect them when I see them at garage sales or on the internet sometimes. Ebay has lots of estate pipes on their website usually. That's my
Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Most of the time these Estates are cheaper than what buying the same pipe for new would be. Most estate pipes are cleaned before sold.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Most of the time, if the pipes are being sold in an estate sale, the seller knows how much they run brand new, and offers a discount since it is used. If the pipe is in great condition and is relatively hard to come by it stands to reason that it could fetch close to the price of a brand new version of the same thing.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Estate pipes are priced according to their value, usually about 1/2 of what a new one of the same brand would cost. So, if you see an estate pipe for $150, just figure a new one would be twice that.

Yes, estate pipes are usually cleaned and sanitized before sale. Unless of course, you are buying from a private party - then you'd need to ask them.

Estates are a great way to get some excellent pipes at a reasonable price.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

My 3 new ones in the other thread are estate pipes, two came really clean, reamed and ready to go. The 3rd was said to be cleaned, but it was really nasty.

I gave all 3 a good cleaning anyway with 91% isopropyl alcohol.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote