Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
n0Odle
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
n0Odle is on a distinguished road
Default NEWB Humi! Xikar Products HELP!

Before I ask my questions, here is my Humidor & its accessories

Humidor

Humidifier - I used distilled water to charge it

Hygrometer (out of the box) + the Stock Analog that is Calibrated using a Boveda 75% RH kit

<|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|> <|>
My Questions
1. The Xikar Crystal Humidifier is rated up to 250ct and my Humidor is a 50ct, is this going to affect how it maintains the 70% RH because of how big the humidifier is? (An older gentleman that works at the humidor shop says it will be just fine. he says he has +50 yrs experience in the hobby)
2. The Digital Hygrometer, Do they come Out of the box reading ‘- +2% RH’ without the need of calibration? (The older gentleman told me they do).

The issue I’m having is the Digital Hygrometer is reading my Humidor at 71-73% and my analog was reading it at 80% RH. I believe my Digital Hygrometer is reading ‘- 2% RH’ (read further), so in reality the Humi is sitting at 75% (IF I’m right) … and the Analog SHOULD be calibrated correctly (used 75% RH Boveda kit)

-Prior to me buying the Digital hygrometer & Xikar Humidifier -The humidor was seasoned by wiping it down lightly using a new sponge with Distilled water, leaving a shot glass of Distilled water in the Humi and having the sponge humidifier (the stock humidifier) charged with distilled water. I kept the Humi shut for 6 days and my analog hydrometer (calibrated with the Boveda kit) reads at 68-70 % RH. So after seasoning the Humidor, I put my cigars in… after a few weeks, the analog humidifier reads 68-75% RH WITH the cigars in it (50% cigar capacity of humidor), which is normal, I hear, depending on temperatures and how often I open the humidor .Using the stock humidifier and one of the Drymyst sticks, I was worried that my Hygrometer wasn’t reading properly because I smoked a Winston church hill cigar (my favorite) and it tasted sort of sour... which makes me believe my humidity level is too high...
So after which I went to the Humidor club here in town with my humidor and bought the Digital hygrometer along with the Xikar Humidifier. The employee there said I was doing everything perfect and I should try to re-season my Humidor because the walls looked dry *even though the Hygrometer was reading perfect levels…. I guess this whole time I’ve been destroying my beauties!

-Seasoning the Humidor for a second time-I didn’t worry about calibrating the digital hygrometer because of what the employee told me about the digital hygrometers and being perfect out of the box.
-He told me to do the same thing, wipe down the humidor and close the lid (no need for shot glass or using the humidifiers in the beginning).
-After 3 days- I charged my new Xikar Humidifier with distilled water and stuck both the Xikar humidifier and the Digital Hygrometer in the Humidor.
-Day 5 – The digital hygrometer reads 71-74% @ 72-80 degree temps (Texas weather ... we don’t run the AC below 78 when no one is home.. I gotta find a better spot to stick the Humi)
Okay so after 2 days with the Xikar Humidifier, that promises 70% RH with the release and Emit through the beads/crystals, The Hygrometer is reading higher than 70, mind you it’s probably reading -2%, so the Humidor is over 75% RH?!
I need advice so I can put my mind at ease about the Humidity % of my cigars and humidor... I'm worried that my cigars have been sitting in 75%+ RH this whole freaking time… I have not put the cigars back in yet, they are sitting in the Boveda travel bag with a Drymyst stick in it
I am currently Re-calibrating my Analog Hygrometer... The humidor still has the Xikar Humidifier and Digital Hygrometer in it... so waiting to go home to read the %s.
I just bought these Xikar products because the guys at the shop praised the Xikar humidifiers…. What do I need to do…?
  1. Is the Xikar humidifier junk?
  2. Is it too big for the 50ct...?
  3. Does the humidifier really release and emit moisture for 70% RH?
  4. Do I need to calibrate my Digital Hygrometer?
  5. Am I just being overzealous about this whole thing and need to relax?!

I appreciate all the advice.. Thank you and advance!

-Side notes-
From Xikar’s website:
XIKAR humidifiers are a two-way system, meaning they 1) emit and 2) absorb moisture to maintain 70% relative humidity

And sorry about broken English in the post..
n0Odle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: NEWB Humi! Xikar Products HELP!

Ditch the analog and calibrate the digital. Analogs have been known to give bad readings and can get stuck, corroded, and just not be accurate. The digital is a good piece of gear.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
n0Odle
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Ditch the analog and calibrate the digital. Analogs have been known to give bad readings and can get stuck, corroded, and just not be accurate. The digital is a good piece of gear.
I wouldn't mind ditching the analog but it’s part of the humidor. If I throw it out then I would have a hole the size of a hygrometer in front of my humidor =P.

I mostly need to know if the Xikar humidifier is junk and if I needed to calibrate my digital hygrometer...

Last edited by n0Odle; 04-20-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Did you pull the battery out of the Xikar hygrometer before re-calibrating?
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I'm not sure what the humidifier is made out of, but it sounds like the same stuff heartfelt beads are in that they release and take in moisture. If so the humidifier is fine just calibrate the digital.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

you should calibrate you digital. Don't know about the Xikar though
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

shouldnt matter, should maintain better... i would think..
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

First of all, stop wiping down your humidor with a sponge. You already did it once, that's more than enough. You can over-saturate the wood by wiping it down.

Secondly, as others have said, forget about the analog and simply use your digital. Yes, you need to calibrate it. Don't ever trust a hygrometer straight out of the box, you need to calibrate them.

From what it sounds like, your humidor is OVER humidified. I would calibrate your digital hygrometer and after 1.5-2 days of calibrating, stick it in your humidor. After a full day, see what the hygro reads. If it is 71%+, I would simply leave the lid open for a few days without any beads/water in there to dry it out. Unless your house is humid of course.

It's actually better to have more beads than not enough beads. I'm not familiar with the ones you have, but if they are like regular salt beads, you won't have any problems having a lot.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
From what it sounds like, your humidor is OVER humidified.
Yep, quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0Odle View Post

Humidifier - I used distilled water to charge it

[*]Is it too big for the 50ct...?
It's quite obvious, if you use the Xikar element meant for a 250 ct. in a small 50 ct. humidor, it's gonna be too much as they do not absorb like humidity beads. If you are going to use Xikar humidification, use the one for a 50 or 100ct. humidor.

Right now, take the humidification out, let the humidor come down to 70 on it's own then load it up. Don't worry about your cigars too much. They are much, much tougher and resilient than we give them credit for.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 04-20-2012 at 12:42 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
I'm not sure what the humidifier is made out of, but it sounds like the same stuff heartfelt beads are in that they release and take in moisture. If so the humidifier is fine just calibrate the digital.

The Xikar humidifiers are SAP gel, not beads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Yep, quite.

It's quite obvious, if you use the Xikar element meant for a 250 ct. in a small 50 ct. humidor, it's gonna be too much as they do not absorb like humidity beads. If you are going to use Xikar humidification, use the one for a 50 or 100ct. humidor.

Right now, take the humidification out, let the humidor come down to 70 on it's own then load it up. Don't worry about your cigars too much. They are much, much tougher and resilient than we give them credit for.

Mr. Chimichurri Lustbagel is wise.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
n0Odle
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Did you pull the battery out of the Xikar hygrometer before re-calibrating?
The battery was already disconnected from the unit (it had a little white tag you have to pull for the battery to touch the metal to power the unit)

I assumed I needed to calibrated But with what I read on line and from what the older gentleman at Club humidor told me, Since it's digital.. it doesnt need to be calibrated out of the box..

I guess I'll calibrate the Digital Hygrometer this weekend..

Now for the Xikar humidifer
From their site

Crystal Humidifiers
Our crystal humidifiers perfectly maintain the specified number of cigars at 70% Humidity. To use, simply charge with our PG Solution.

Watch the crystals... when they shrink to about half their original size, re-charge them with XIKAR's PG Solution.
Never let your humidifier go dry again!
Features
Slow, steady release of constant humidity of 70%
Clear polycarbonate cases house crystal gel saturating 450 times their weight with XIKAR PG solution!
Magnet attachment system holds the unit firmly under the lid of your humidor.
Crystal 50 maintains up to 50 cigars in a volume of 500 cubic inches at 70%
Crystal 100 maintains up to 100 cigars in a volume of 850 cubic inches at 70% Crystal 250 maintains up to 250 cigars in a volume of 1250 cubic inches at 70%
For different temperatures and extended storage, it may be advisable to recharge the humidification unit as needed, but this will depend on number of cigars, humidity, and temperature and cigar freshness.

XIKAR humidifiers are a two-way system, meaning they 1) emit and 2) absorb moisture to maintain 70% relative humidity. Varying humidity levels in a humidor - too much or too little - can destroy cigars quickly, so consistency is most important in preserving and protecting your expensive cigars. All XIKAR humidifiers employ the use of crystals that can absorb 400x their volume (size) of PG solution. When dry, the crystals look like salt grains. When PG solution is added, the crystals saturate and grow to completely fill the humidifier casing. Thus, you can pack a greater volume of solution in your smaller XIKAR humidifier than you can with older, larger foam units (which are also only one-way systems). Use the extra space in your humidor for more cigars!

So the next question would be... This humidifer won't absorb humidity to maintain 70%?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
deaster25
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Montecristo
deaster25 is on a distinguished road

You can get a hygroset front mount that will fit inside the hole of the analog.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
So the next question would be... This humidifer won't absorb humidity to maintain 70%?
My experience with the gel humidifiers is that they will absorb moisture out of the air, but they aren't very quick about it, nor do they do a very good job at it.

Honestly, I'd return it if you still can. Then get beads. Either HCM beads from CigarNut (HCMbeads.com) or HF beads from heartfelt (heartfelt.com). They work off different principles, you can search around the site to see the descriptions and users reports on one versus the other.

Pick the humidity you want, most seem to prefer 65% rather than 70% though.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:

No, you will always be over 70% with that large humidification unit. If you use the Crystal 50, then maybe. And the myth that is "70%", is way too wet anyway imo.

Quote:
Crystal 50 maintains up to 50 cigars in a volume of 500 cubic inches at 70%
Crystal 100 maintains up to 100 cigars in a volume of 850 cubic inches at 70% Crystal 250 maintains up to 250 cigars in a volume of 1250 cubic inches at 70%
Again, if you use something that covers 1250 cu. in. in only 500 cu. in. you have too much. The Xikar Cyrstals do work well, if you apply them correctly.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
n0Odle
Just in from the Storm

Thank you guys for your feed back.. I'll take this sucker back and buy me some beads.. Distilled water works just fine with these beads? or will i need to buy the solution
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Thank you guys for your feed back.. I'll take this sucker back and buy me some beads.. Distilled water works just fine with these beads? or will i need to buy the solution
Just distilled water.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
n0Odle
Just in from the Storm

Bead website asking depth.. I’m a computer guy so I’m no too good with measurements.
But for the humidor
Measures 10-5/16 by 8-3/4 by 4-5/16 inches (WxDxH)
Product Details
Style Name: Capri-Elegant
Product Dimensions: 8.8 x 10.5 x 4.5 inches <--- is it width x depth x height?

http://hcmbeads.com, says my Humidor volume
Cubic inches : 415.8
Cubic feet: 0.24
(using calculation of 8.8 x 10.5 x 4.5 inches <--- width x depth x height

Bead requirements:
in lbs : 0.05
or ounces : 0.8

Does that seem sufficient?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

And before you buy beads, think long and hard about what Rh level you really want to use. 70% is the general rule, but a lot of guys prefer buying the 65% level. If you live in a humid area, you should definitely consider getting the 65% beads.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
n0Odle
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
And before you buy beads, think long and hard about what Rh level you really want to use. 70% is the general rule, but a lot of guys prefer buying the 65% level. If you live in a humid area, you should definitely consider getting the 65% beads.
I want 65-68% RH in the humidor.
just need to figure out how much I need / should buy
Old 04-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Multiply the LxWxH of the inside. This will give you the cubic inches. The website with the beads will tell you how many CI" the beads will handle.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote