Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
druturn

Default Turkish Coffee Drinkers?

Any Turkish coffee drinkers out there? I was introduced to this stuff while I was in Bosnia for a short time and quickly got hooked on it. Had a friend who went to Turkey buy me a set(minus the grinder) and I have been making it ever since. I absolutely love this stuff! Anyone else with me?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Turkish Coffee Drinkers?

100%. Best coffee going, period.

I like added spice; Mosesbotbol took me up a notch by recommending crushing cardamom seeds rather than using pre-ground cardamom out the spice jar. Good move, that.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...hlight=turkish
Old 12-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

In grad school my neighbor was Turkish and would make me coffee on a regular basis. Some fantastic stuff. Unfortunately I never got around to gathering the gear to do it myself.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Love having it in a restaurant, could only imagine how awesome it would be to do it myself.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
druturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
In grad school my neighbor was Turkish and would make me coffee on a regular basis. Some fantastic stuff. Unfortunately I never got around to gathering the gear to do it myself.
From the looks of it, the gear isn't terribly difficult to procure online. The prices range from $30-a couple hundred, but that is mainly just personal style that jacks up that price. Turkish coffee is incredibly simple and requires really nothing but a simple pot with water and the specifically ground beans. That is honestly what I love so much about this stuff, the simplicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
Love having it in a restaurant, could only imagine how awesome it would be to do it myself.
I am a total newbie at it and am still going through a large bag of ground beans that were purchased in Turkey, so I really don't have much experience in it. With that said, from my limited experience in making it myself, I would say it is well worth it to buy a cheap set and try it out! Like I said before, it is unbelievably simple to make and only takes but a few minutes to make a few servings of it. Highly recommended!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Nice, I almost bought a pot last time I broke my french press. Maybe I'll drop hints to my wife when my birthday rolls around. What kind of spices do people add to theirs? I'm a big fan of cardamom, and I think I've had it with chocolate as well.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #7
druturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
Nice, I almost bought a pot last time I broke my french press. Maybe I'll drop hints to my wife when my birthday rolls around. What kind of spices do people add to theirs? I'm a big fan of cardamom, and I think I've had it with chocolate as well.
Personally I have not experimented with adding spices besides cardamom, but I think the absolute best combo for turkish coffee is some turkish delight! It is a match made in heaven.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Natashas dented cezves are the deal - I put a set together over two years (gotta wait for the right dented one to show up, sometimes). Shop now to Jan 15th for dented cezves as they have more available around the holiday season. Dent's are minor - some barely visible. Either way, they make coffee. http://natashascafe.com/html/foodncoffee.html

A tabletop alky burner is VERY nice for the after-dinner coffee. Natashas is a bit pricey at $40 - check in dusty corners at local Mediterranean or arabic food shops. Preheat water on the stove (if you want to cut corners) then bring to a low table by your easy chair. It is nice to let your coffee brew in eyeshot at arms length from your chair rather than being tethered to the stove in the kitchen. I thought this was claptrap when my Egyptian friend told me it was the ONLY way to go... He was right.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Love the stuff. Along with Greek, Armenian, etc. In fact a hookah place near me just expanded with a nice lounge. Their cigar selection sucks tbh but I can get a cup of their coffee spiced just right for less than a buck and have a cigar.

Never made it myself though I might try. The guys at the shop above make it look so easy with the the one pot and burner they use. Of course they are also all recent emigrees from that part of the world too.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

I do enjoy Turkish coffee, but finding the right grinder to do the job is tough... Either go pre-ground or expect to spend >$400 on a ceramic burr grinder that will do the job correctly.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa View Post
I do enjoy Turkish coffee, but finding the right grinder to do the job is tough... Either go pre-ground or expect to spend >$400 on a ceramic burr grinder that will do the job correctly.
Why not just buy a manual Turkish coffee grinder? If it does the job for them I am sure it'll do just fine. Much cheaper and available online.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
tedrodgerscpa

QdO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Why not just buy a manual Turkish coffee grinder? If it does the job for them I am sure it'll do just fine. Much cheaper and available online.
I have used a manual grinder (I nearly ripped my rotator cuff on a Hario Skerton once), and hated every God-foresaken crank.

Also, unless I am drinking it alone, I usually attract several folks who want to try a cup or two...

Finally, a nice grinder takes care of all of your coffee needs... But then again, to each their own.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
physiognomy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa View Post
I have used a manual grinder ... and hated every God-foresaken crank.
Say it aint so... Ted Rogers, barista extraordinaire, shies away from a little manual labor

I think it depends on the grinder & whether you have time to check out and enjoy the process (I don't make turkish coffee on workday mornings). My setup below works very well and doesn't send me to the physiotherapist after making coffee for two. The grinder is a vintage PEDE designed for fine grinding & cost me around $50 on ebay. There are many models out there, but I like the workmanship of the older German hand grinders.

physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
tedrodgerscpa

QdO

Quote:
Originally Posted by physiognomy View Post
Say it aint so... Ted RoDgers, barista extraordinaire, shies away from a LOT manual labor
Fixed it for you!!!

Everyday I'm shufflin...