Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road
Default Salvaging old/dry cigars?

Today when I walk in the office there's an old-ish canister humidor sitting on my desk with a note from my boss that reads:
"These are OLD but maybe rescue-able?".
I open up the canister and there are a handful off CCs including 3 Monticristos, one Cohiba, a La Gloria Cubana, a Padron, and a handful I didn't recognize. They are all pretty dry, but I don't see any large cracks, mold, or other major damage. The La Gloria has a notable curve to it, I assume from sitting upright in the canister for quite awhile. I'm thinking the fact that these were in an air-tight canister and not some leaky unattended to wood humidor means there MIGHT be a chance at saving them? There was also a 20-pack of Davidoff cigarillos, but I'm guessing these may not be worth the effort of trying to do much with.

For today I've cleaned out the canister humidor they came in and put them back in there along with a spare 72% BOVEDA pack I had laying around. Beyond this, what steps and durations would you recommend for trying to re-humidify and revive these sticks? I'm assuming this is going to take several (6-12?) months but, since these just fell into my lap, I have no problem tossing them in a drawer and letting them soak it up with a little attention from time to time to ensure they are getting what they need.

Thoughts?
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote