Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
nyisles

Default Cigar Review: Por Larranga Cabinet Selection

I’ve been smoking a pretty long time, and I consider myself an aficionado for the last 3 years of my smoking life. However, it wasn’t until a trip to Philadelphia a couple of months back did I learn about the Cabinet Selection series. These Altadis cigars were pretty much in every cigar shop down there. My first sampling was of the Montecristo, and this past trip I saw todays cigar in Holt’s.

I’ll be the first to admit that I have become a cigar snob and while being a member of the Altadis VIP program I try to stay clear of cigars made by them and General. The reason being is I find the cigars to be a little too generic for my liking. These Cabinet Selection cigars have changed my mind big time and I have become a fan.

Altadis USA describes the Cabinet Selection line as follows;

Smoking the perfect cigar is the dream of every cigar lover. Now an extraordinary experience is yours to savor and enjoy. Introducing Cabinet Selección. Rare and exclusive tobacco blends from Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann and Por Larrañaga, the world’s most legendary and revered cigar brands. Cabinet Selección is available in a very special limited edition.

Cabinet Selección is exquisitely crafted with loving hands by the world’s most accomplished master artisans. Each cigar is impeccably constructed from specially selected, perfectly aged tobaccos of exceptional pedigree. Each Cabinet Selección is an intricate, singular blend of the most compelling character and nature, with a superb draw, luxuriant flavor and unmistakable individuality. This incomparable collection elicits anticipation among connoisseurs of an experience that promises to fulfill one’s every desire in a cigar.

When you indulge in the luxury of a Cabinet Selección, you are in the rarified company of those discerning cigar connoisseurs who want to experience a true masterpiece of complexity and unparalleled sophistication.

Cigar: Por Larranga
Size: 6 x 56 (Toro)
Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Habano 2000
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Appearance and Construction (18/20): This cigar features a golden blonde colored wrapper with a well constructed triple cap. There are a significant amount of veins visible on the wrapper, but they all line up perfectly within the roll of the cigar. The cigar is extremely well packed, and features no soft spots. This is a classy looking cigar right down to its simple band that screams elegance.

Flavor & Notes (30/30): To be honest I am not sure why I bother with the prelight ritual most anymore as many times the notes I get here show up nowhere within the cigar. Being a creature of habit I managed to pick up some notes of anise on the draw and at the foot. The first third of the cigar there is a note trying to emerge but I am not able to place my finger on it. There is also a saltiness on the wrapper, and a touch of earth. As we reach the second third of the cigar the note I have yet to identify is easily placed as licorice with some coffee notes. As we finish up the 2nd third and cross over into the final third the notes of licorice as in your face and extremely enjoyable right through the finish.

Burn/Ash/Draw (19/25): The cigar had an uneven burn in the first third that needed to be touched up and the gray ash had a slight amount of flake to it. I can’t speak for everyone, but I like my cigars to have a slight resistance to them, and this cigar was the perfection description of that. My biggest pet peeve is having to touch up a cigar, and the score is refected for that.

Overall (23/25): This cigar is ideal for those who like a mild cigar, or looks for a nice morning smoke. All the cigars I smoked were consistent all the way through. The flavor profile of the cigar is a home run and it was an extremely enjoyable way to start my morning. In fact after a stressed filled day, just writing up this review takes me back to this most enjoyable experience. I do however have to deduct points for it not being available as a mail order smoke.

Rating: 90
Price: Don’t Recall.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: Cigar Review: Por Larranga Cabinet Selection

very nice review
Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
very nice review

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

nice review....like the size....makes me want to try one
Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
bookman

Just tried one and loved it!! Oily, nutty and deliscious!! There's a B&M here that sells boxes of 22 coronas for $88!!! What a deal! i have an Upmann CS waiting in the humi.