Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
GodOfFire
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jackie
Trading: (10)
GodOfFire is on a distinguished road
Default Cigar Lighter review

I have never done many reviews but I felt absolutely compelled to give a review of a recent cigar lighter I have purchased.

Let me first by saying...

This lighter has lite every single time I have attempted to light it. I even had a cigar smoking buddy I dared him to click and NOT get it to light. I assumed I could turn the flame really low and it may not light every time then. I don't know, I have not tired that. The torch is not extordinarily high as it is.

It looks sleek but simple. I would even say elegantly simple.

Clearly the most dependable lighter I have ever owned and will probably be the last lighter I ever use. Althought I have always been a fan of Xikar products their lighter CAN NOT compare to the function and dependability of this new lighter.

What lighter am I referring to

Ronson Jetlite
Price at Walmart: $2.84

If you can't tell I am amazed at how well this thing works. I have heard so much about them and now I know why. I am so late to the party it's not even funny. However, if you are reading this and you have NOT bought or been gifted one of these lighters then GO GET ONE.

Jackie
GodOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cigar Lighter review

Late but welcome to the party Jackie! I buy a handfull of them every time I go to Walmart and they have some. Greatest $3 piece of machinery ever made. Have not checked my inventory lately but try to always keep 12 or 15 minimum around just in case they quit making them or something. That way I would have at least 10 lifetime supplies as I have never worn one out but have lost a couple over the years.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Robert Mabona

how's the fuel capacity of the jetlite?

this is what i like http://www.blazerproducts.com/tools/pb207.html
Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mabona View Post

The Blazer's capacity is much larger, and that is what I have used (that and one of their other lighters) for 5+ years....but the JetLite is a wonderful lighter to have handy at $3 a pop.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
It's ok. Not great, just ok.

For three bucks, for a decent lighter that works well, looks good and doesn't take up a ton of room in your pocket, you can't beat it, but it doesn't cary a lot of fuel.

It'll should you through a 5-6 hour herf if you don't light that many cigars/loan out your lighter/have too many relights and you remember to fill it before the herf.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Cigary

Quote:

Most people make the mistake of recharging once and then using. After the initial recharge wait a few seconds and then charge once again for about 3-5 seconds as this "tops" off the lighter the way it is supposed to be.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Always keep one handy.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Not a large tank, and no window to check remaining fuel, but for ~$3, you can afford a backup...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #10
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Here's a faux Blazer PB207 on ebay...buy one get one free...figured what the heck and bought it...works great...no problems with them whatsoever and a lot less $$$ than the Blazer...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMOKERS-Pocket-T...item3efc841f78
Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #11
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

I love my Ronson. It has yet to let me down, and the fuel for it is rather inexpensive, so I don't worry about it's capacity
Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I'm pleased with the Jetlite. My only complaint is that the top could open further. If you get the top, a cigar and your finger so close together, it can get hot. I have small fingers and can imagine someone with larger digits thinking its a booby trap.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review and all of the comments.

I have used a RP207 at home for several years and absolutely love it. I don't want to take the chance of losing it, so I keep a cheapo Bic in the car. Never been happy with the soft flame on the Bic. I will be looking for a Ronson the next time I'm at WalMart ... thanks.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

XTRazzer is on a distinguished road

I agree Ronson lighters are nice as I have a few myself. Mine does get hot but I also light my cigars rather slowly. For the price I don't care if I lose one or someone 'borrows' without returning.

And do not use the Ronson brand fuel! Even in these lighters it can cause problems.
XTRazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I currently have two jetlites and a cheap torch from Taboo. I had a jetlite that broke, the star looking thingy where the flame comes out fell out. I use them all the time and have no problems whatsoever. I haven't seen them at our local walmart in a long time, but if I do I will buy some more.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I currently have two jetlites and a cheap torch from Taboo. I had a jetlite that broke, the star looking thingy where the flame comes out fell out. I use them all the time and have no problems whatsoever. I haven't seen them at our local walmart in a long time, but if I do I will buy some more.
I've heard that some distribution regions for Wal-Mart have ceased stocking them; like around where I live, all the Wal-Marts dropped them a few years ago, yet I've heard that if you go further north, they still sell them.

You might want to try Rite-Aid, Walgreens & CVS, they might have them.

Oh, yeah, and there is always someone selling 12-16 of them in a bulk pack on fleabay, just get a few friends together and do a group buy.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
GodOfFire
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jackie
GodOfFire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
It's ok. Not great, just ok.

For three bucks, for a decent lighter that works well, looks good and doesn't take up a ton of room in your pocket, you can't beat it, but it doesn't cary a lot of fuel.

It'll should you through a 5-6 hour herf if you don't light that many cigars/loan out your lighter/have too many relights and you remember to fill it before the herf.
Let me clarify what makes it so great... It lights every dang time I attempt to light it. Who ever mentioned not using the Ronson fuel I apprectiated that. Also I do agree fuel capcity isnt huge much but again. It's serves it's purpose, that keeps it compact. Also it does look not like a complete cheapo bic or anything else. And for less than 5 dollars a pop. PLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASE.

Thanks for weighing in everyone. I will be checking out Blazer products in the future as well.
GodOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOfFire View Post
Let me clarify what makes it so great... It lights every dang time I attempt to light it. Who ever mentioned not using the Ronson fuel I apprectiated that. Also I do agree fuel capcity isnt huge much but again. It's serves it's purpose, that keeps it compact. Also it does look not like a complete cheapo bic or anything else. And for less than 5 dollars a pop. PLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASE.

Thanks for weighing in everyone. I will be checking out Blazer products in the future as well.
I fully understand why you were calling the lighter great. My comment about "It's ok. Not great, just ok." was a direct resposne to Robert's question (hence why I quoted it) about fuel capacity. The fuel capacity is ok, not great, just ok.

Yeah, ronson fuel is junk. Get yourself some Vector Signature or Lava. Lava is kind of pricey, but Vector Signature, a 10oz can costs $6-$8, which is about equal to what two or three of the little 2.75 oz Ronson cans cost. So with Vector, you get a better, 5x refined fuel for less than the cost of the Ronson fuel. I've never been able to tell the difference between Lava and Vector Signature besides the price.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #19
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

XTRazzer is on a distinguished road

I've been using King butane (triple refined) with mine without issue. I think I've seen King butane at Wal-Mart but don't hold me to that.
XTRazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I used the Ronson fuel in my first JetLite for probably the first 6 months I had it. No problems whatsoever. The only thing I didn't like was the cheap plastic tip on the can. Lately I've been using King, a triple refined fuel that my local Smoker Friendly carries in 6 oz. cans for just over $4.
I ended up giving that first JetLite to my wife. She kept "borrowing" it. It's still going a year after I bought it. Best $3 I ever spent.

EDIT: Interesting coincidence. I'll have to check and see if my WM has King the next time I snag a few JetLites.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote