Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Don
Trading: (2)
junkinduck is on a distinguished road
Default Where to go in Baton Rouge

I will be traveling with the wife on business in March. She has meetings and I will have time to kill during the day. Any good B&Ms in Baton Rouge? Also traveling down to New Orlines for a day any hotel recomendations?
junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to go in Baton Rouge

Check out either Ashtons B&B or the HH Whitney B&B when in Nola. They're just outside the FQ on Esplanade. Both great places to stay and better than a hotel.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

I looked at both online and they look nice. And a good value compared to the FQ hotels. We will not have a car and would like to be able to walk. We will only be there for an afternoon/evening flying out the next morning. Are the B&Bs walkable tothe FQ?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Yep, you can walk to the FQ from either. Theyre only a few hundred feet from each other and about half a mile from the FQ. I've done it many a time. Depending on how late (and how drunk you are) you can take a cab ride back and it shouldn't cost too much.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Forgot to add, both places are cigar friendly, outside on the veranda or the back patios. Patrick smokes cigars and puts on a nice herf every spring. I cant wait to get back down there. Less than two months!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Oh joy, something I can help with since I was BR native for 20 years There are a handful of places in Baton Rouge you can stop for a smoke or two, but just so you know Louisiana state tobacco tax for cigars is 20% of the wholesale price, so our prices can be a dollar or two higher than MSRP.

Don Juan's Cigar Company has a location in BR, fairly close to the center of everything, very nice lounge area, a pretty varied selection (huge humidor). They're pretty much exactly what you would expect from a modern B&M establishment, but expect to pay a bit more for your smokes there.

Churchill's on Jefferson is a bar/liquor store/cigar shop. Tends to be where the money and "pretend money" hangs out at night. Nice place but since they're mostly a bar type place, the cigars are priced at bar prices (read: 2x MSRP). They are, however, the ONLY Davidoff White Label account in Baton Rouge that I know of. Selection leaves a lot to be asked for though.

Hemingway's on Jefferson is another hole in the wall type shop, but I don't know what's up with them. They've changed owners/managers like 4 times in as many years, and last time I was there the selection was nonexistent and the place was a dump. GRANTED, I haven't been there in about 2 years, and I hear the newest owner has renovated the lounge area, but I have no reason to go check it out unless I happen to be in town.

Also, there's a pub/grill style place called Fox & the Hound (chain place) that has food and drinks. They escaped the smoking ban by becoming a full on bar at night, but it's a mid to upper scale place that's cigar friendly and the food isn't bad at all during the day. Lots of good scotches and beers, prices are very reasonable. Just don't go at night or on a day that's a big sports/UFC day, the place is packed to the gills.

Now, here's the kicker. Can you escape about an hour's drive down I-10 to the *west*? There's a great shop in Lafayette, The Cigar Merchant which (apropos any past employment I've had), is probably one of the best shops in the area. Full on lounge with all the amenities, private club area (day fee for non-members, but it can be waived), big screens, frequent domino or card games (poker in the afternoon in the club starting around 3-4), and more importantly a nice selection of smokes. The owner's a real nice guy, always willing to help people out.

Also, it's Lafayette, so there's only a dozen great places to eat in the city to great food, and there's a decent night life too. Personally, that's where I spend my lunch breaks and weekends

In NOLA, I personally like to stay at the Roosevelt New Orleans. It's a bit on the $$ side (I paid about $250 for a night a few months ago), but the Sazerac Bar is world-famous and the food is amazing. Plus, you're right near everything you could want to see or do.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Don Juans in Baton Rouge is a nice large shop.
Churchills is a Cigar Bar with food as well, never been there though.
Hemmingways is a quaint small shop with a decent selection.

About 45mins or so east in Covington is Habana Port Cigar Merchants. That is one of my favorite shops in the NOLA area.

Cresant City Cigars is a must stop (for me) in NOLA. Small shop, but has a nice selection of some botiques.

I'd stay in Metarie (North NOLA). Its a little cheaper and out of the way. But there is some road construction to deal with. I usually stay at the Veterans BLVd/I-10 area.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

Thanks to all
I booked Ashton's B&B. Rooms are all but nonexistent for the 9th of March. Don't know what is going on may be the run up to NCAA?
I don't think I will have time to hit any cigar shops in NOLA we are only there over night and don't want to take from the wifes only day off. I will be doing all of my lounging in Baton Rouge earlier in the week. I think her company booked the Hyatt. Will try to hit the shops near there. By the way, what weather can we expect in early March?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

One thing about NO, it's booked up m ost of the year, so you are always lucky to find something you like.
Of course, post-Katrina there were slowdowns, but it is in high-gear now. Enjoy yourself and don't
urinate in the street, please. Do yourself a favor and catch the streetcar on Canal St. near Carondolet
and ride it uptown to Mayan Imports on Magazine St. If the weather is good, you will LOVE both the ride
and the store. best thing about the streetcar is that Your wife will DIG IT!!! I mean dig it!. Act like it is
all about HER. There is a nece gelato shop (Sucre) across the street from Mayan Imports, too, and a nice
coffee shop a few blocks back in the direction you came from, Community Coffee house.

http://www.bigeasytobacconist.com/

If you want to hear some music and smoke and drink, ride the streetcar all the way down to near the Riverbend District,
visit Dos Jefes Uptown Cigar bar.... http://www.dosjefescigarbar.com/ The scenery you pass on the short ride
will stun you and please her.

Last edited by OLS; 02-20-2012 at 06:01 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Excellent recommendations Brad. Dos Jefes is a great locals bar. Don, I hope you enjoy Ashton's. Patrick and Karma are good people.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

The weather will either be hot and muggy or muggy and hot. There isn't much in between
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkinduck View Post
..... By the way, what weather can we expect in early March?
Right now we are around low to mid 60s during the day and 40s at night. So it will probably be 70s during the day and 50s or so at night in mid March.
Pants and short sleaves should get you by. Maybe pack a long sleaved shirt or two just in case.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

Thanks,
I really appreciate the help. You all have saved me a bunch of time and effort. I called Ashton's and they seemed like great folks.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

Well i am sitting in my room at Ashton's. This is a really nice place. The people are great. Went into the Quarter for the afternoon/evening. Had a muffulatta at central grocery. Would put this on the must do for lunch. Had Coffee and beignets at cafe Du Monde. However I am getting too old for the night life. At 9:00 we were ready to go back to the room. I think I will go out on the porch and have a smoke.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Thaplumbr
Feeling at Home

First Name: Leroy
Trading: (58)
Montecristo
Thaplumbr will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Where to go in Baton Rouge

Hope your enjoying a good one,myself id be having a good smoke and tearing up some crawfish...............enjoy brother
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Awesome. Tell Patrick I said hi (Bob Bentley).
Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

I ate my weight in crawlfish this week. I ate 5# at Sammy's in Baton Rouge last night. I have eaten them every way I could find them this week but Sammy's was the best, just boiled. I just came in from the front porch where I found a xikar cutter, stinky, and an Alec Bradley table torch. I had an ilusioner 88. Smoked alone but enjoyed the peace and just watching the smoke before bed. I am now getting ready for bed in the softest sheets I think I have ever slept on. I would highly recommend Ashtons to anyone needing a room in NOLA.