Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #21
mikethegoalie32

Default Re: Properly Seasoning a New Humidor

Seeing as I dont have much (60 cigars max in a large 500-700 cig humi) but more coming soon, do you recommend this now before I have more? How many days do I go without it? Re-seasoning is not a worry. I would rather have it done right than a problem for a long time to come,...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #22
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethegoalie32 View Post
Seeing as I dont have much (60 cigars max in a large 500-700 cig humi) but more coming soon, do you recommend this now before I have more? How many days do I go without it? Re-seasoning is not a worry. I would rather have it done right than a problem for a long time to come,...
That is the best attitude to have!

Most silicone sealers take a day or two to set, then another few days to air out the "vinegar" odor -- gotta make sure that odor is all gone, as you don't want to taint your sticks.

All-in-all figure a week or so to be safe.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #23
mikethegoalie32

ok perfect.
Again I assume it is done on the OUTSIDE of the humidor. Also, I assume I can just take out all shelving to avoid extra stink time. Thirdly, just store my current cigs in a cooler with the humidification stuff I am using until then?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethegoalie32 View Post
ok perfect.
Again I assume it is done on the OUTSIDE of the humidor. Also, I assume I can just take out all shelving to avoid extra stink time. Thirdly, just store my current cigs in a cooler with the humidification stuff I am using until then?
Opinions vary on the inside or outside of the glass application. I personally believe that if you use a silicone sealer that is non-odorous when dried, ie; GE Silicone-II, then it doesn't matter, so use it on whichever side you prefer as "better" for you based on aesthetics and ease of application.

Some people will go as far as to pull the wooden retainer strip/trim on the backside of the glass, lift the glass out, run a bead on the outside lip, then reset the glass and run an inside bead before finally reinstalling the trim.

Yes, just go ahead and move your cigars and humidification to a tupperware container or cooler while you wait for the repairs to complete - depending on what you are using for humidification, you might need to keep an eye on the RH if things are going to be in there for a long time.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #25
thecatch83

I see no harm in lightly wiping the inside of a new humidor with a moist sponge, towel etc. because if for nothing else, you are removing the dust/micro wood particles etc. The wood is not going to swell if it's not soaked, and IMO wiping down the inside does help speed up the seasoning process.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #26
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
I see no harm in lightly wiping the inside of a new humidor with a moist sponge, towel etc. because if for nothing else, you are removing the dust/micro wood particles etc. The wood is not going to swell if it's not soaked, and IMO wiping down the inside does help speed up the seasoning process.
Agreed. Sometimes I just take it out back and run a waterhose over it for a few minutes.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #27
thecatch83

I think you should sticky that technique under humidor seasoning
Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #28
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
While a light wipe down might not put you at risk for swelling and warping the wood, any kind of a wipe down can risk raising the grain of the wood resulting in a cosmetically unattractive rough surface that can easily tear cigar wrappers.

If you want to wipe down the wood to remove dust, you should just barely moisten a clean lint free cloth and wipe it with that. A barely moistened cloth will not leave any water behind or moisten the wood, it will just trap the dust particles.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #29
thecatch83

Excellent advice Adam!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #30
BnBTobacco

To me the most effective way of naturally imparting moisture to a humidor is with natural evaporation. Use a damp sponge or paper towel. The key to a well seasoned humidor is time.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #31
smokepuff

Thanks for the great information
Old 06-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #32
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quick question here, I have a small (100) decorative humidor that I keep sitting on my bar and it has always been locked on 64%. I moved last year and over the winter it dropped into the high 50's so I added some cigarjuice to the humidification device. This worked fine during the winter, but now the thing jumped up to 78%. I emptied the smokes into my larger humidor, but is there any way besides just letting it air out and reaseasoning it to get it in line?
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #33
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Reseasoning will not bring the RH down. First, calibrate youe hygrometer to make sure you really do have a problem. If the RH is high then keep your sticks in the other humidor and let the humidor air out -- and hour or so at a time.

Also, get rid of the cigar juice and switch to beads to manage your RH.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #34
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

Im seasoning a 120 count Cuban crafters humi right now its been going for like 3 days with a damp sponge in it but ever since i first closed it my freshly calibrated digital hygrometer is reading 73% Rh? Ive read posts that say to let it season till the hygrometer reads 70%? Will the rh level out or should i stop with the seasoning after 3 days?
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #35
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho View Post
Im seasoning a 120 count Cuban crafters humi right now its been going for like 3 days with a damp sponge in it but ever since i first closed it my freshly calibrated digital hygrometer is reading 73% Rh? Ive read posts that say to let it season till the hygrometer reads 70%? Will the rh level out or should i stop with the seasoning after 3 days?
Did your hygrometer propery calibrated read 75%? If so then 73% would be accurate. If not, then subtract 75 from 73 and you get a 2 difference. So 73% would technically be 75% calibrated. I know my digital hygrometers are off a few % but I write on them with a small piece of tape the difference. Your humidor may not be fully seasoned yet. I'd give it 7-14 days like Mark has suggested and in the meantime re-calibrate your hygrometer. It can't hurt.

Does your humidor have cigars in it yet? If not that could be an issue as well as cigars regulate humidity and "even" out the humidity.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #36
h20wakebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
To Properly Season A Humidor:

In regards to seasoning, it's pretty simple. Most people think that you should wipe down the interior with water and you're done but I DO NOT recommend this for two reasons. 1.) It does not provide enough moisture to properly season the humidor 2.) It can warp the wood in the humidor.

New wood will draw moisture until it reaches its saturation point, so to properly season your humidor, simply place a large bowl of distilled water into the humidor and keep it closed for 7-14 days. This will allow the dry wood to absorb as much moisture as it can hold. By doing this, you will have a more stable environment for your cigars and reduce the chances of the dry wood absorbing moisture from your cigars. Patience is key to ensure that your new humidor is properly seasoned.

While your waiting for the humidor to season, purchase and calibrate a digital hygrometer. You'll save yourself some headache in the long run.

I hope this helps and happy smoking!

~Mark

During the seasoning process... and once saturation is achieved... would I have a humidity reading in the 90% range (or, what would a humidity reading look like once you've seasoned the box for a week or so)?

At that point it would be safe to assume the wood has saturated itself, take out the dish of water AND humidification device ... let it sit EMPTY for 24 hours, check humidity reading... let it sit 24 hours more, check humidity...

IF it stayed within 1 to 2 % points... it's safe to assume you're good to go, add your humidification device AND sticks and away we go?

Does that sound right?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #37
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
To Properly Season A Humidor:

In regards to seasoning, it's pretty simple. Most people think that you should wipe down the interior with water and you're done but I DO NOT recommend this for two reasons. 1.) It does not provide enough moisture to properly season the humidor 2.) It can warp the wood in the humidor.

New wood will draw moisture until it reaches its saturation point, so to properly season your humidor, simply place a large bowl of distilled water into the humidor and keep it closed for 7-14 days. This will allow the dry wood to absorb as much moisture as it can hold. By doing this, you will have a more stable environment for your cigars and reduce the chances of the dry wood absorbing moisture from your cigars. Patience is key to ensure that your new humidor is properly seasoned.

While your waiting for the humidor to season, purchase and calibrate a digital hygrometer. You'll save yourself some headache in the long run.

I hope this helps and happy smoking!

~Mark

So is it really that easy? Lemme get this straight...after you get your new humidor home you just open it up, put a bowl of distilled water in there, close it, and leave it shut for a week?

Then a week later when you open it up, poof your all set?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

You have to have some type of humidification device in it, preferably one that gives off and absorbs humidity, ala shilala or Heartfelt beads. With a calbrated hygrometer you keep tabs on when the humidity stabilizes at your desired level. So, "poof"? No, not exactly.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #39
saigon68

Can I rent some space in your 1000 # humidor? I started with 1 humi & now have 7!
You have a lot to look forward to. Cigar count can only go up.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #40
saigon68

I am essentially lazy. I bought Boveda humidor seasoning packs (84%). I put 5 of 'em in a new 200 count humi and kept it shut (locked actually) for two weeks. No problem maintaining 65% H. Temps fluctuate between 65-68 degrees. Fine for my taste.