Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default 5 Vegas Classic "Fifty Five"

5 Vegas Classic "Fifty Five" (5.5" x 55)

Wrapper is very even colored and smooth with a lot of small tiny veins running thru it. Cigar feels heavy in my hand. This cigar is box-pressed, looks very well crafted.

Cut very well with my guilotine cutter and had a nice smooth pre-light draw.

Start: Toasted to perfection with my butane torch lighter. Smooth draw, Strong Peppery and Woody. Strong start, lots of flavor, the pepper is very prominent.

1st Third: Pepper mellows out, I can taste it still as kinda a aftertaste from each puff, very good. I still taste a lot of wood, and a little bit of cream.

2nd Third: Pepper is almost gone now, Still got some wood flavor, but the cream is really coming thru. Creamy tastes are something I really enjoy in cigars and this one is really hitting the spot so far.

Final Third: Creaminess is starting to go away. I am getting a lot of wood and the pepper is really picking up. The cigar mostly thru has seemed medium bodied.

The finish: Towards the nub, the creaminess is subtle, still peppery, and now a little nutty. I smoked to 3/4 inch from the end. Smoking time was about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Final thoughts: I have never smoked a 5 Vegas before in any of its flavors so I decided that I may as well start with the Classic. I have wanted to smoke the A series and the Relic that have been sitting in my humidor for awhile, but I kind of wanted to try the original. That said, the original "Classic" being so cheap kind of made me shy away from it, thinking it would be a sort of disappointing smoke like a lot of the cheapos I have smoked recently, I was very wrong. "Dont judge a book by its cover". Very impressed I hope to soon try some of the other flavors in the next few weeks. Would certainly smoke again.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote