Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #41
jdakine
Sawadee

First Name: Jay
Trading: (34)
Partagas
jdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: One Awesome Coast Guard Summer (Picture Heavy)

Awesome, Thanks for sharing
Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #42
Nathan
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Nathan is on a distinguished road

Badass pictures!
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #43
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Turns out I was on that very ship in 1972....It came in and tied up at New Orleans and my Dad and i went down and took a tour
of the barque. I had no idea why a ship would be called a barque, but it was cool and my dad and I got a kick out of it. Here is
a doubloon that one of the trainees gave me, they must have been there for Mardi Gras and I bet they rode in a couple of parades
and threw the doubloons as was the Mardi Gras tradition back then, now mostly gone....

This doubloon is not in as good a shape as it once was, I am sure it was shiny as it could possibly be back then, but it came out
of my personal collection, which usually meant it spent time in a sandbox as treasure or something. Funny that it seems like no
one in the USCG approved the proof, as they seem to have spelled barque, "bark".

Last edited by OLS; 07-21-2012 at 11:00 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #44
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Turns out I was on that very ship in 1972....It came in and tied up at New Orleans and my Dad and i went down and took a tour
of the barque. I had no idea why a ship would be called a barque, but it was cool and my dad and I got a kick out of it. Here is
a doubloon that one of the trainees gave me, they must have been there for Mardi Gras and I bet they rode in a couple of parades
and threw the doubloons as was the Mardi Gras tradition back then, now mostly gone....

This doubloon is not in as good a shape as it once was, I am sure it was shiny as it could possibly be back then, but it came out
of my personal collection, which usually meant it spent time in a sandbox as treasure or something. Funny that it seems like no
one in the USCG approved the proof, as they seem to have spelled barque, "bark".
I have a couple of coins from USCGC eagle, The current ones at least...if I have the pleasure of sending some sticks to you in the future, it would be my honor to send you one of the Eagle challenge coins! That way you have one from all those years ago and the one that we give to people today. But thanks for sharing that picture with me...i know Eagle has a rich history but it's awesome to see it first hand!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #45
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Never knew they had such a ship. Badass.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #46
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

This was....wait, first thank you, and back to the doubloon. At Mardi Gras, the throws used to be a combination
of beads, which ranged from czech glass beads (necklaces) and plastic necklaces from Taiwan, trinkets which
are just more plastic toys from the far east, squirt guns, back scratchers, junk toys, and lastly doubloons. These
are silver and occasionally varied color aluminum coins with the Carnival krewe's logo on one side and parade theme
on the other side. They would throw many hundreds of thousands over the weeks of Mardi Gras and while they
are similar to challenge coins, they are much cheaper and lighter. The coin I have was likely produced JUST for
Mardi Gras, and there would likely have been another doubloon produced for the bicentennial celebration
in 1976. I think challenge coins are much more expensive to produce and "mean much more" to the people that
give them out to others. ALL that said, thanks for your thoughts and your service and the best of luck to you
in your career. If that coin exchange takes place, I would keep it with my doubloon collection which is already
two generations old. That's not much, but one day it will be a neat historical record. Thanks again.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #47
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR1205 View Post
A

Eagle during 4th of July celebration

This is one of the coolest photos Ive ever seen!

Thank you for your service. My brother in law is Commander of the Pacific Strike Team http://www.uscg.mil/hq/nsfweb/PST/welcomeaboard.asp

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #48
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Thanks for sharing the pics. Very cool.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #49
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR1205 View Post
I have a couple of coins from USCGC eagle, The current ones at least...if I have the pleasure of sending some sticks to you in the future, it would be my honor to send you one of the Eagle challenge coins! That way you have one from all those years ago and the one that we give to people today. But thanks for sharing that picture with me...i know Eagle has a rich history but it's awesome to see it first hand!
How cool is that?!

Awesome pictures, Rob.

I, too, believe I took a tour of that boat probably 15 years ago, if that was possible. Confidence in this statement is probably hovering around 50%.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #50
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Great pics Rob, thanks!!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #51
Big Maduro
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
Army (Served With Honor)
Big Maduro will become famous soon enough

Fantasitc pics. The view and feeling from up on that mast must have awesome.
Big Maduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #52
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Maduro View Post
Fantasitc pics. The view and feeling from up on that mast must have awesome.
It was amazing, especially during sunsets

On the flip side, getting woke up at 0100 and having to climb up during a gale was not so fun!

Great experiences nonetheless
Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #53
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
How cool is that?!

Awesome pictures, Rob.

I, too, believe I took a tour of that boat probably 15 years ago, if that was possible. Confidence in this statement is probably hovering around 50%.
Considering the ship was taken from Germany as a war prize during WWII, and has been with the USCG ever since, its a highly likely possibility!

Here, president Kennedy addresses the Eagle crew at the time

This picture is from a couple weeks, VADM Parker, Atlantic Area Commander, addresses the current crew...not much has changed!

Last edited by RobR1205; 07-24-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: add something
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #54
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

When you said she was taken as a war prize in WWII, I thought for a minute she might have been the SMS Seeadler, but I see that ship was WWI vintage and was lost to a reef. I remember reading about her when I was a boy. Even though I am a power boater and don't know much about blow boats, I have always been fascinated by them.

I am sure your tour on the Eagle will be one of many high points in your career, and your life!