Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #221
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's see those '09 gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Got it! Dead, gopher, dead! I had mercy. It was still alive so I put it out of it's misery.

Next year I want to put down a weed block like Scott's but I worry about the gophers setting up camp under it.
You can shoot right through it.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #222
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Nice video, Scott!

Nice jars of peppers, Hal!

You guys give me a smile all the time. I have a lot of BOTL (leaf) and BOTS (soil).

Scott, the blight, fungus, anthracnose, or other horrid disease almost made me not want to plant tomatoes this year. Had you ask me in December, I would have given a definitive 'no'. The past couple of years it's been horrible. I use Daconil and I sprayed them every 3-4 days in years past, but never could keep up with the eventual onslaught. I've had up to 24 plants in the past and suffered big losses. I use soaker hoses, no smoking near the garden, etc. But, as always, the spring bug bit me and I planted 4 this year. A couple of them got a little brown a month or so in, but I battled back. All in all, everything turned out pretty good. The 4 plants did well. I know you're suppose to rotate tomtoes, as well as most plants, to get away from the stuff, but my garden isn't that big. I'll get a shot of my peppers this weekend. Never had such robust and huge plants. They usually get some type of yellow leaf or leaf roll, but it's been gangbusters this year.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #223
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Went out of town for about a week and the garden was busy growing while I was gone. Looks like we didn't get any rain cause the leaves on everything were wilted and the lawn was brown.

Fired up the sprinklers in the yard and the garden yesterday evening when I got home. Not much to do since I'm home with some kind of virus.... may as well pick some peppers and work on doing some canning.

This was todays haul out of the garden-

Lots of jalepenos, hungarian wax, sweet banana, cherry bombs, and burners

Starting to get loaded down with more habaneros than I will ever eat

Here are a few zuccini that are probably only good for making bread with. The one on the far right weighed in at 4 lbs. 6 oz.! It's a beast!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #224
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Different angle to show the diameter.

I guess as long as the garden is putting out I will keep on posting.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #225
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Lots of jalepenos, hungarian wax, sweet banana, cherry bombs, and burners

Starting to get loaded down with more habaneros than I will ever eat

Here are a few zuccini that are probably only good for making bread with. The one on the far right weighed in at 4 lbs. 6 oz.! It's a beast!
Sorry you're under the weather, Hal--but those vegetables look awesome! Let me know if you want a recipe for making hot sauce out of those habaneros. I'm jealous, my plants have never put out that many peppers!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #226
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Chit, Hal! Those Habs could kill any virus you run across! Very nice. I eat pickled peppers at every meal. I have a jar on my desk at work. People think I'm an stupid.

Here's my fall/winter garden so far. The collards are growing well. The crooked neck squash are ready to flower. The peppers are still unbelievable. For reference, the rabbit fence is 18". The flowers are cosmos and nasturtiums that my daughter wanted to plant.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #227
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Dude those Jalepenos plants are HUGE!!!!!!

I have plenty more Habaneros to pick before the season ends!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #228
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I should go shoot one more video before it's too dark out.
I told the ex she could have all my tomatoes. If she doesn't come get them tomorrow, I'll make sauce Monday.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #229
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I should go shoot one more video before it's too dark out.
I told the ex she could have all my tomatoes. If she doesn't come get them tomorrow, I'll make sauce Monday.
Please do shoot another video cause I like to watch them and I enjoy seeing your garden Scooter!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:09 AM   #230
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
pmwz is on a distinguished road

unfortunately the growing conditions on my balcony are less that ideal. I still got more than enough . I have to grow more medium hot peppers next year and probably a couple of tomatos.
pmwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #231
BC-Axeman

My year of production is about over. Everything that hasn't died off is slowing down. As the weather is still good I think either the soil is depleted or the daylight hours are affecting the plants. No matter. It was a good year except the gopher attack on the potatoes and the late tomatoes.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #232
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Very small garden for us this year; just tomatoes and peppers. Tiller was down all spring and I set plants late. That ended up okay, as it was a wet. cold spring, and lots of folks early stuff did not do well. Our stuff is about done now.

One surprise; I had a volunteer tobacco plant in a flower garden. Some seedlings I started way too late last year did not make it, and I dumped everything in the flower bed. Had not noticed anything until we returned home from our Yellowstone trip over Labor Day weekend; there it was, getting ready to bloom!
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #233
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Great Gardens gentlemen!!
Old 09-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #234
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Please do shoot another video cause I like to watch them and I enjoy seeing your garden Scooter!
I got it done, Hal.
I just gotta upload it to youtube. I was just working on pics I took at the zoo today, just got home. If I don't pass out, I'll get her started uploading.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #235
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
I got it done, Hal.
I just gotta upload it to youtube. I was just working on pics I took at the zoo today, just got home. If I don't pass out, I'll get her started uploading.
I'll be waiting.

I hit the garden today for a picking. I managed to pick and pickle another quart of Habaneros (what am I going to do with all these freakin hot things?). I also picked a shload of Jalepenos, hungarian wax peppers and a few sweet banana peppers. Ever since my tomatoes croaked my two poblano pepper plants have been really working hard. I think by sometime next week I will have about 12 of those to pick and stuff.

Also picked 2 cukes. I found a guy at work who loves butternut squash so I was able to unload about 9 of those on him.

Have a few gourds growing but the plants appear to be really struggling.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:29 AM   #236
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Still waiting for your video Shilala.....
Old 09-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #237
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Here's the video, finally.
It took three tries to get it uploaded. I sure hope it works now.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #238
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Here's the video, finally.
It took three tries to get it uploaded. I sure hope it works now.
Another great video Scott Looks like your garden is still producing lots of nice looking peppers! I cannot believe all of those damn tomatoes!

I picked 16 bell peppers last night and stuffed them with rice and hamburger. I finished by topping them off with tomato puree. They turned out really well and I ate a few with tomales for dinner!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #239
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Picked jalapenos from my 4 bushes yesterday. Final count, 182!!!! OMG! I gave some to both neighbors and will bring some to work. I can't pickle many more, running out of jars and room! Also harvested 23 bell peppers. Gave most of them away, too, as I still have half a dozen in the fridge.

Collards and squash doing very well, too!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #240
BC-Axeman

Frost is starting here already. Central coast CA it's suddenly unseasonably cold. I have shut the water off to the veggies now. The roses and lawn still get watered. It's about time to turn the garden under and get the green mulch going.