Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Darrell

Default Is 3D being over done?

I was thinking yesterday while watching How to train your dragon in 3D, I cannot help but feel that 3D is being over done. It's like the latest trend in film making and I feel like it is too much too soon.

I enjoy a 3D movie on occasion, though I will admit it gives me a headache and I have to take the glasses off a few times during the movie and close my eyes.

I feel like Hollywood is going to use this technology as a means to market crappy movies. This has not been the case with every 3D movie, but it has been the case with several (Alice in Wonderland, Spy Kids 3D, etc.)

Our HD technology is not even perfected yet and everyone seems balls to the wall with putting stuff in 3D.

My other concern is their are a few movies that are 3D that the kids will want when they come out. How will those transfer to our home TV?

Hollywood needs to focus on new screenplays and fresh ideas and less 3D.

Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Is 3D being over done?

This is why I still haven't see Avatar (I read the screenplay). You have to ask yourself if it would be worth watching if it were 2D line drawn animation or 2D live acting.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

In general, Yes. Now I am seeing ads for 3D TVs and Blu-Ray Players. I honestly think it's a phase and this time next year 3D movies won't be so common place.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Yep. It's cool once in a while, but gives me a headache

aj
Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

My friend swears it's the wave of the future for the movie industry, whereas I think it's just faddish, and I really don't like it in the first place.

If they continue doing 3-D, half the films are going to be shot with the characters facing directly into the camera...lame...
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

The problem is that they are able to charge more for the tickets at the theatres, and it is incentive to increase theatre attendance. DVDs took a huge chunk out of their attendance numbers over the last dozen years. 3D is putting butts back in seats like nothing else they've done has. Similar change to how color affected the movies, IMO. It's not a fad, and it's not going away. quality will improve as more movies are shot in it, as Avatar was, instead of converted as Alice was. Like any other business, they follow the money. More profits on 3D movies = more 3D movies.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Well the main problem is that most of these movies aren't actually shot as 3d films. They're being retrofitted in post production. Avatar was intended to be a 3d movie and was shot with new 3d cameras. Clash of the Titans, Alice in Wonderland, etc--they're shot like any other film. Then someone on a computer forces them to be 3d.

But bottom line; yes, it's completely overdone. It has never once made a movie better for me. 2001: A Space Odyssey was made in 2d (in the sixties), still looks phenomenal, and is better than almost everything out coming out nowadays.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
In general, Yes. Now I am seeing ads for 3D TVs and Blu-Ray Players. I honestly think it's a phase and this time next year 3D movies won't be so common place.
I agree I think its a fad that will fade like the laser disc.
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I for one love 3D if it's made correctly, best 3D I have ever seen was COMING AT YA, anyone ever heard of it? The movie itself sucks balls, but the 3D in is amazing and entire movie every 5 seconds something is COMING AT YA.

I feel 3D is being run into the ground and they are now ruining it. Do we really need 3D tv's so our favorite sports players can jump out at us??? I don't need an ugly ass Shaq in my house *Shudder*

And now cable is jumping on the bandwagon and now offering 3D.....it's run it's course....as one person said it was cool in the 50's now it's just a gimmick.

Again, if it's done right like the film I mentioned above then by all means make it in 3D, but I don't want to see Twilight in 3D or anything like that, where only the fight sequences are in 3D.

There, just my
Old 08-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

I actually picked up a 3D tv, not because I wanted a 3D tv, but because I got a great price on it, and due to the nature of 3D the processor in this TV is insane. I suppose I could have just purchased a high end TV with a 240 MHZ processor, but I figured for the novelty and a few extra bucks (less than 100) for a 3D setup, it was worth it.

I've watched a few baseball games with the 3D feature turned on, and its ok, adds depth back into the TV, not projecting out at you, but the few movies that I've watched have been really cool, Monsters VS. Aliens specifically.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I have yet to watch anything in the new 3d. Except women's volleyball at the NEX electronics isle
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
I actually picked up a 3D tv, not because I wanted a 3D tv, but because I got a great price on it, and due to the nature of 3D the processor in this TV is insane. I suppose I could have just purchased a high end TV with a 240 MHZ processor, but I figured for the novelty and a few extra bucks (less than 100) for a 3D setup, it was worth it.

I've watched a few baseball games with the 3D feature turned on, and its ok, adds depth back into the TV, not projecting out at you, but the few movies that I've watched have been really cool, Monsters VS. Aliens specifically.
I think 3D TV is a fad. It will fade like tight-rolled jeans.

BTW, the 120/240 Hz rating on TVs is not the processor speed. It is the refresh rate. It is a measurement of the number of times per second (Hz, not MHz which would be millions of times per second) the screan is redrawn/refreshed. The higher the number the less blurring you'll see when watching action movies or other fast motion. That said, the human eye has a very hard time detecting refresh rates over about 85 Hz. I have somewhat of a sensitive eye and I can tell see flicker visible due to low refresh rates (especially old CRTs) at rates up to 75 Hz. Once they hit 85 Hz, I can't see the flicker anymore and the screen appears static or solid.

Low refresh rates common to CRTs and low end LCD TVs usually start at 60 Hz. While you may not have a senstive eye that can see the flicker it will still cause eye strain. Again CRTs are much worse than any LCD, but still I would recommend the 120 Hz models. 240 Hz in my opinon is overkill. If you're eye can't detect it, why pay extra for it?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
And 18 months later... the number of 3D sets, players and movies out there has increased greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Pirate View Post
I agree I think its a fad that will fade like the laser disc.
Laser Disc wasn't really a fad. For being such an expensive early technology it had quite a long run, over 20 years. Ultimately, why it died was the cost and the convenience of newer technology had outpaced it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

3-D is like all the reality shows it's make money right now but everyone gets all fed-up with it it will go the way of the Dodo bird...
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I was thinking yesterday while watching How to train your dragon in 3D, I cannot help but feel that 3D is being over done. It's like the latest trend in film making and I feel like it is too much too soon.

I enjoy a 3D movie on occasion, though I will admit it gives me a headache and I have to take the glasses off a few times during the movie and close my eyes.

I feel like Hollywood is going to use this technology as a means to market crappy movies. This has not been the case with every 3D movie, but it has been the case with several (Alice in Wonderland, Spy Kids 3D, etc.)

Our HD technology is not even perfected yet and everyone seems balls to the wall with putting stuff in 3D.

<...snip...>

Hollywood needs to focus on new screenplays and fresh ideas and less 3D.

Thoughts?

Similar thoughts were expressed when movies went from silent to sound, that sound would be the downfall of the silent actors. They adapted a new acting style which was less mime and more natural. Movies survived.

When movies went from B&W to color some people predicted that color would allow movie makers to produce sheer crap and just dazzle you with the colors rather than substance and quality. They couldn't have been more wrong.

Television was predicted to be the death of movies on a number of occasions. This prediction has yet to come to be. Movies grew and became more than what they had been.

3D isn't the end of quality movies, rather, it's beginning of a new era for movie making. It's in it's infancy now and growing by leaps and bounds, you can't judge it this early on. Will it replace 2D movies? Hard to say. But it will, at the very least, supplement them. Your great grandparents or grandparents and partents watched these other technologies unfold, now you have a front seat to this one. Enjoy the show.

Those scripts that you feel sucked? Some of them still would have been green-lit if there was no 3D, not all of them were written specifically for 3D. There have always been crappy scripts. There will always be crappy scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
My other concern is their are a few movies that are 3D that the kids will want when they come out. How will those transfer to our home TV?
They'll be flat, kind of 2D.

The spectacle won't be there, for the short term. In about 2 years there will be 3D home HDTVs and players available.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
3D isn't the end of quality movies, rather, it's beginning of a new era for movie making. It's in it's infancy now and growing by leaps and bounds, you can't judge it this early on. Will it replace 2D movies? Hard to say.
I think it is inevitable that 3D will replace 2D if not an altogether projection method. When, don't ask...

The future will be direct access to the brain instead of watching through the eyes. Total Recall will be the reality.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

The old 3D of the 70s and 80s went away b/c it sucked. I'm not sure if it's going to go away this time. I've yet to see a film in 3D nowadays b/c I'm not gonna pay ridiculous prices to get in. I'm just fine seeing it in 2D.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
The old 3D of the 70s and 80s went away b/c it sucked. I'm not sure if it's going to go away this time. I've yet to see a film in 3D nowadays b/c I'm not gonna pay ridiculous prices to get in. I'm just fine seeing it in 2D.
If you go to a Century theater, you can go to the first showing of the day for like $7. 3D included!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
The old 3D of the 70s and 80s went away b/c it sucked.
Oh come on, watching Jaws and Freddy Krueger both explode in 3D was soooooo cool man...

(then again, it could have been the booze we snuck into the theatre)
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

It was cool in the 50's. Now, it's a gimmick.