Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #201
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Perdomo Lot 23, 5 Vegas A and Classic, Padron Anniversary Series, Any AVO. All these seem to be milder to me but still very flavorful.

AVO is the most consistent cigar in my opinion and have lots of different flavors depending on which one you try.
I love the Padron Anniversary Seriers, but I wouldn't call them mild. It's a great smoke so you should still try them.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #202
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ic3man08 View Post
I want to fill that humi, but of course, i want to in moderation. Sorry if i am posting in the wrong spot, but i saw beginner questions, so i thought maybe i could post here. Thanks in advance.
I am TOTALLY new to this as well. Cigars I have enjoyed and continue to go back to. Padron '64's, Alex Bradley Tempus, Rockey Patel Decade have been favorites.

Bought a box of the AB's because it seemed cost effective to stop paying $10 for what I could pay $6.... They will become by go to until I decide I like something better that is so cost effective.

I have also enjoyed Casa Magna Robusto, Punch Rare Corojo(my neighbors go to) and Ashton Aged Maduro....all of which I would buy again and put in the humidor.

I am buying and smoking....trying to get an idea as to what I REALLY like. God this is fun & enjoyable stuff.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #203
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

I seen here under Scott's WTS link ( http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...20&postcount=1 )

I noticed he said that his beads absorb any free ammonia what is given off of the cigars during aging. Do all beads absorb ammonia?
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #204
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

No, scott's are a special type of bead. They work astoundingly well! I cannot explain how it does what it does, but maybe Scott can chime in?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #205
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
No, scott's are a special type of bead. They work astoundingly well! I cannot explain how it does what it does, but maybe Scott can chime in?
Not sure if Scott reads this thread, might be better to search some of his threads.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #206
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Box code help:

SU SS1

Is this a 1998 box (SU)?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #207
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
box code help:

Su ss1

is this a 1998 box (su)?
1998 = SU.

See Link

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/inf..._(1985_to_1998)
Old 10-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #208
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Box code help:

SU SS1

Is this a 1998 box (SU)?
Yeah. Should be another letter before the SU for the month. _-SU-SS1 = Month - 1998 - Sancti Spiritus 1
Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #209
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Do I need to have the humidification puck attached to the top of my humidor as I see is almost always the case with the different devices?

As you can see in the pic I posted on 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM it sticks down quite a bit. Think I can get a few more cigars in if I set it down somewhere, as opposed to leaving it on the top.....
Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #210
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Do I need to have the humidification puck attached to the top of my humidor as I see is almost always the case with the different devices?

As you can see in the pic I posted on 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM it sticks down quite a bit. Think I can get a few more cigars in if I set it down somewhere, as opposed to leaving it on the top.....
It does not need to be attached to the top, E.J., I never kept mine there.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #211
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #212
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I did for a while. Until I discovered it leaking on my cigars for the first time. Then I discovered humidity beads. Then I discovered coolers. Then I discovered closets and industrial humidifiers. I'm kind of afraid of what I'll discover next. Hoping it's more money, though. I really need to buy some more cigars
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #213
Calexan

Ok so this might be a total beginner question. I'm just starting to try to enjoy them and not just be completely trashed when i break one out. Ive only tried a Fuente 8-5-8, which i dont know why but i really just got tired of. and a Padron 1964 which i really enjoyed, but i think i could have enjoyed it if i knew what i was doing.

Whats the best way to get the flavor out of the cigar and not just taste tobacco. I hear talk of nuts, pine, spices, cocoa, etc.... So can someone explain the proper way i should be taking the smoke in? Big puff, little puff, let it sit in my mouth till i have to breath, move my tongue around. Ive tried out the nose which is kinda hard because i dont smoke anything else so its all new and i dont want to inhale. Gimmie some pointers guys.

Thank yall
Old 10-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #214
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calexan View Post
Ok so this might be a total beginner question. I'm just starting to try to enjoy them and not just be completely trashed when i break one out. Ive only tried a Fuente 8-5-8, which i dont know why but i really just got tired of. and a Padron 1964 which i really enjoyed, but i think i could have enjoyed it if i knew what i was doing.

Whats the best way to get the flavor out of the cigar and not just taste tobacco. I hear talk of nuts, pine, spices, cocoa, etc.... So can someone explain the proper way i should be taking the smoke in? Big puff, little puff, let it sit in my mouth till i have to breath, move my tongue around. Ive tried out the nose which is kinda hard because i dont smoke anything else so its all new and i dont want to inhale. Gimmie some pointers guys.

Thank yall
Welcome to CA

check this thread out and practice practice practice
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=snorking
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #215
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Thank yall
It's something that comes with experience. Some folks will retrohale (exhaling through the nose) which does give you more flavors, but can be murder on the sinuses.

It took me a few months to actually pick up anything other than "pepper" and "tobacco".

Read some reviews, buy different strength, wrapper, filler combos and the flavors will begin to show up. Don't focus on it too much, the idea is to enjoy the cigar, not try to find that hint of 7 year old Madagascar Vanilla.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #216
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Wow... that is a hard one to answer in a post...

First of all just keep smoking. You will discover the sticks the YOU like and don't like.

As far as developing your palette to the point of tasting different things... it just takes time as well. Just as with fine wine or food it is a process that takes time to develop the skill. Some are more talented at it and will be better... and then some like me are always destined to have the palette of a goat!!!

I used to roll the smoke around in my mouth much more than I do now. Now I pretty much take a puff to get the smoke going, and then take a mouthful of smoke. I exhale some and then snork (nose smoke) some. The I exhale through my mouth and then the nose. That is just what I do and I am not saying it is THE way or anything.

When you start to snork just take little bits at a time... you will get used to it and you will truly begin to taste a lot more in the cigar.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #217
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
I did for a while. Until I discovered it leaking on my cigars for the first time. Then I discovered humidity beads. Then I discovered coolers. Then I discovered closets and industrial humidifiers. I'm kind of afraid of what I'll discover next. Hoping it's more money, though. I really need to buy some more cigars
Let Me Know When You Find That "Extra Money"!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #218
Calexan

Ok ill try to snork..... i always end up coughing though but now that ive read the step by step it might help. I just feel like im wasting sticks when all i taste is the tobacco, but i understand that i need to let my sense develop more.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #219
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Thank yall
I don't think it's so much the way you smoke (this can have an effect by fast or slow puffing can make it burn hotter/cooler) but the "mental links" one has is that which create the "flavors". I did an experiment on the old board which I can link you to ( I don't like to link puff on CA). In this experiment I gathered people who felt they too could not describe or gain flavors from smoking a cigar. The results were that people COULD get the flavors from the cigars but they needed the mental links by which to do so. Smokin Gator has it right in a sense. The professional tasters have in the past and continue to strengthen these mental links in order to pull out more flavors.

There is no right or wrong way as each person's experience is their own. But there are things which you can do to make sure you are getting the most out of every cigar. Lastly, I want to add that even in doing so, you can still find cigars that are not going to be what you like tasting.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #220
Calexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I don't think it's so much the way you smoke (this can have an effect by fast or slow puffing can make it burn hotter/cooler) but the "mental links" one has is that which create the "flavors". I did an experiment on the old board which I can link you to ( I don't like to link puff on CA). In this experiment I gathered people who felt they too could not describe or gain flavors from smoking a cigar. The results were that people COULD get the flavors from the cigars but they needed the mental links by which to do so. Smokin Gator has it right in a sense. The professional tasters have in the past and continue to strengthen these mental links in order to pull out more flavors.

There is no right or wrong way as each person's experience is their own. But there are things which you can do to make sure you are getting the most out of every cigar. Lastly, I want to add that even in doing so, you can still find cigars that are not going to be what you like tasting.
Please pm me the link if you dont mind..... Theres already tons of reading for me to do, but whats a little more! I like learning something im actually interested in. I really appreciate it.