Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Regional Cuisine, USA

I'm a huge fan of just about every international cuisine I can name, but my recent transcontinental move (west coast to east coast) has really ignited my roiling passion for American regional foods. I'm not just talking about New York vs. Chicago-style pizza. I'm talking about bizarre little pockets of esoteria and dishes they've never heard of a state or two over. Some particular thrillers include:

* the entire Rhode Island spectrum, but most especially New York System hot wieners

* upstate New York peculiarities (fish fry, spiedies, wings, salt potatoes, nebas, all the funky stuff in Utica)

* real cheesesteak madness!

* the northern midwest casserole-land (I'm just about ready to trade an Opus X for a case of Rock & Rye)

I eat it. I research it. I eat it again!

Anybody else caught up in this lunacy? I would love to read some ramblings about your regional favorites.

And before we even get going, I'll just come right out with the hypocrisy and say:

Doctorossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Regional Cuisine, USA

Steamed Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs:

The folks down around the Gulf like to boil these guys instead of steaming 'em, but I'm pretty sure that would get you jail time around here.

Berger Cookies

Half an inch of delicious chocolate fudge goodness on top of a soft chewy cookie. Not recommended for the calorie counters out there.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Yes sir, I am. I see you've tried some of upstate's finest during your stay, but there are a few more you may want to try out....

Chicken wings....Buffalo wings are for foreigners. Get them in Buffalo, no where else. I'm frequently in Syracuse, and there is not a single place there that has figured out how to make chicken wings. Buffalo only.

Beef on weck....If you want to be an old school pollock (relax, I'm Polish, its just how "our community" says it), you call it beef on wick. A few very well know places here in Buffalo for them. Never see it anywhere else in the state.

Salt potatoes.....rarely seen in Buffalo, but mainly a specialty of the CNY area. Damn good though. You can buy a bag ready for boiling at any supermarket in CNY.

Loganberry.....a delicious drink made from the fruit of the mythical loganberry tree (don't believe what wiki has to say about it)

Sponge candy....toffee in, well, spong form covered in either milk or dark chocolate...Ive only seen it in Buffalo
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Forgot your pictures....

A mini beef on weck

sponge candy
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

You need to go down to South Carolina and Georgia and have some road kill possum. No picture necessary.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
SSatVT
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Seth
Trading: (2)
SSatVT has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Steamed Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs:

The folks down around the Gulf like to boil these guys instead of steaming 'em, but I'm pretty sure that would get you jail time around here.

Berger Cookies

Half an inch of delicious chocolate fudge goodness on top of a soft chewy cookie. Not recommended for the calorie counters out there.

Yes Sir! I don't know of anything that is better than a bushel or three of steamed blue crabs. As for the cookies, I have yet to try them, but I have put them on my list.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
Trading: (3)
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough

Ahhh yess... I lived in Auburn, NY and I've had plenty of salt potatoes! Our local hot dog stand had 3 things on the menu - reds, whites and salt potatoes. I've tried explaining them to the folks down here but I just get funny looks, however I've made them a couple times and you don't get the funny looks then.

We also had the Amish folks come into town for the farmer's market and I used to get grape pies - they are amazing. And what about Zweigle's??? I had no idea these were regional favorites until I moved away.

I've been in the South for a long time now and I enjoy their 'delicacies' as well biscuits and gravy, fried okra, grits...

My favorite regional cuisine is Looziana/Cajun - I've been known to make a mean gumbo, jambalaya or an etouffé! Anyone up for a crawfish boil?

*EDIT* Forgot to mention... we have a sports bar here in Atlanta that 'imports' Kummelweck rolls and serves beef on weck once a week!
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

OMG I love salt potatoes. My uncle lives in central NY and brings them down. I guess the only thing NJ has to offer is Taylor Ham....mmmmmmmmm BUT I like bacon soo much more on my breakfast sandwiches