Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
DownUnder

Default DVD Picture Issues

Didn't see a Tech area for posting this type of question so please forgive if it's in the wrong spot.

Just bought a new amplifier yesterday because I was sick of the crappy sound I was getting with DVD's and my old NAD Pro Logic amp.

I got a Harman Kardon AVR 255, great amp really happy with the sound and picture upscaling etc.

I am running Component Video out of my Panasonic DMR-ES30V which is a VCR/DVD Recorder combo unit. This is then going HDMI out of the amp to the Panasonic Viera Plasma.

The problem is, when I play older DVDs the picture jumps up and down, kind of like a shimmer, pinstripe lines at extremities of jump.

Only happens on older DVDs though, I can Play Transformers for example just fine, but Shrek not.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Last edited by DownUnder; 10-25-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Improve description.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Resipsa

Default Re: DVD Picture Issues

Jason, have you eliminated the DVD player as the source of the problem? Do you have another player you can put in the chain and see if the problem still exists, that's one of the first things I'd do.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Jason, have you eliminated the DVD player as the source of the problem? Do you have another player you can put in the chain and see if the problem still exists, that's one of the first things I'd do.
The DVD player was fine till the change yesterday, never had an issue playing any of the DVDs we have. Previously though I was just running the Composite Out, now running the Component Out.

I do have another DVD player I can try, I may have to do this. I'm just being lazy 'cos I don't want to have to pull everything out again
Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnder View Post
The DVD player was fine till the change yesterday, never had an issue playing any of the DVDs we have. Previously though I was just running the Composite Out, now running the Component Out.

I do have another DVD player I can try, I may have to do this. I'm just being lazy 'cos I don't want to have to pull everything out again
Ya damn lazy bastage!!!

ROFLMFAO

Jason, good luck on tracking the issue down. Possibly an issue with output choice that never showed up before you went with component over composite?!

I and not making fun of you (I know you know that), I was poking myself in the side. Had the DVR replaced 3 weeks ago, the champs putting new one in assured me everything hooked back up right. Have to call Bull dung on that!!!! DVR works with TV, Stereo, DVD and VCR now all fail to function thru or with TV. makes me wanna I've put task of pulling it all out and re-wiring everything for three weeks. Not going to last much longer.

I do suspect, though, that you will beat me to the punch!!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Ya damn lazy bastage!!!

ROFLMFAO

Jason, good luck on tracking the issue down. Possibly an issue with output choice that never showed up before you went with component over composite?!

I and not making fun of you (I know you know that), I was poking myself in the side. Had the DVR replaced 3 weeks ago, the champs putting new one in assured me everything hooked back up right. Have to call Bull dung on that!!!! DVR works with TV, Stereo, DVD and VCR now all fail to function thru or with TV. makes me wanna I've put task of pulling it all out and re-wiring everything for three weeks. Not going to last much longer.

I do suspect, though, that you will beat me to the punch!!
You just motivated me to get off my lazy butt and try something. Just ran an S-Video cable from my DVD to the amp, problem gone.

It seems to me that older DVDs have an issue with Component out, although I find this hard to believe.

This is kind of frustrating because I can watch some movies via Component out and others via S-Video (or Composite) which means I have to change the settings of my amp DVD input depending on what I want to watch
Old 10-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
DownUnder

DVD Component via amp has problem.
DVD S-Video via amp works good.
DVD Component out of DVD direct to TV works good.
Tried another DVD player, Component out to amp, same problem.

Not looking good for the new amp.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
FriskyDingo
hoosierherfers.com

First Name: Evan
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
FriskyDingo is on a distinguished road

Jason, just for shits'n'giggles you could try eliminating the HDMI cable from the equation. HDMI has alot of handshaking and a few copy-protection issues.
There should be a component out on your receiver that you can run a cable from COMP OUT to COMP IN on your TV. Then try hooking the DVD player via composite cables into the receiver and see if the picture continues to jump.

-= http://www.hoosierherfers.com =-
FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Jason, just for shits'n'giggles you could try eliminating the HDMI cable from the equation. HDMI has alot of handshaking and a few copy-protection issues.
There should be a component out on your receiver that you can run a cable from COMP OUT to COMP IN on your TV. Then try hooking the DVD player via composite cables into the receiver and see if the picture continues to jump.
Thanks for the tip, however I have solved the problem now. I was fumbling through the menu on the DVD player and found Progressive Scan was off, so I put it to on and no more problem

Weird how it was only effecting some DVDs though
Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnder View Post
Thanks for the tip, however I have solved the problem now. I was fumbling through the menu on the DVD player and found Progressive Scan was off, so I put it to on and no more problem

Weird how it was only effecting some DVDs though
Jason

Glad to see you got it solved. And Yes, you did beat me to repairs. I haven't thought about it, to be exact!