Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
OSV

Default Cuban tobacco

I know this question is stupid, but I'm curious and clueless..
So can a cigar manufacture from lets say Dom Rep import cuban tobacco to put into their cigar's seeing as their are no restrictions.. or is the thought of transporting bales of tobacco a stupid ass idea lol idk dont kill me .. was just wondering
Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cuban tobacco

Even assuming someone could get the Cuban leaf (Habanos does not export raw tobacco for others to use) the primary market for Non-Cuban cigars is the US, so it would be self-defeating for say, a Dominican cigar factory to blend with Cuban leaf and thereby lose the ability to sell in its biggest market. So no, until the Embargo is lifted, you will only find Cuban puros as a seperate entity with everyone else blending or making puros as they wish. If the embargo is lifted, you may slowly see blends but it will be at Cuba's pace and discretion as to how they will mete out their most precious resource.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
OSV

thx for the explanation.. would be awesome tho, can you imagine the blends!! Mexican filler Nic binder Cuban wrapper hahaha one day...
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSV View Post
thx for the explanation.. would be awesome tho, can you imagine the blends!! Mexican filler Nic binder Cuban wrapper hahaha one day...
I'm a Puros man.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Cuban tobacco would get lost blended with anything else...part of the allure of a CC puro is the taste...there's a definite difference between the taste of CC's vs. any and all NC's...sort of a twang that NC's don't have...it's hard to describe...
Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

The only answer you need to that question is that Cuba would not allow anyone else using their tobacco.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
Ferrari5180 is on a distinguished road

I am not a big fan of Cuban tobacco, but they do have some good cigars. You will not see any Cubans in USA until the embargo is lifted. Hopefully it is done soon. However, lifting this embargo could make the already expensive price of a CC skyrocket even more.
Ferrari5180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know this question is stupid, but I'm curious and clueless..
So can a cigar manufacture from lets say Dom Rep import cuban tobacco to put into their cigar's seeing as their are no restrictions.. or is the thought of transporting bales of tobacco a stupid ass idea lol idk dont kill me .. was just wondering
The issue is.. its not only illegal to import things from cuba to the US... but also ANYTHING with cuban origin... Meaning just cause it came in from DR doesnt make it ok, nothing that was originally produced in cuba can legally be possesed here.
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari5180 View Post
I am not a big fan of Cuban tobacco, but they do have some good cigars. You will not see any Cubans in USA until the embargo is lifted. Hopefully it is done soon. However, lifting this embargo could make the already expensive price of a CC skyrocket even more.
Expensive? That is a, widely held, misconception my friend. On the whole, Cuban cigars are much less expensive than nc's. Much less.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 03-09-2010 at 09:26 AM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thats not actually a very true statement.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Thats not actually a very true statement.
I think we need to have a chat with Altadis, Kelly.
I believe the card.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Expensive? That is a, widely held, misconception my friend. On the whole, Cuban cigars are much less expensive than nc's. Much less.
He's from Canada. They ARE expensive there.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
nater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Agreed
Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
He's from Canada. They ARE expensive there.
True but you don't have to buy in Canada.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
gnbikes
Feeling at Home

First Name: Garry
Trading: (3)
RyJ
gnbikes is on a distinguished road

In speaking with several industry insiders, the Cuban blenders are all ready experimenting with "imported" tobaccos. I did not believe it when I heard this the first time, but having it confirmed by people that "used to be" key people in the Cuban cigar industry, I now believe it. So don't be suprised when you see Cuban cigars that are not puros.
Garry
gnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
Ferrari5180 is on a distinguished road

They are expensive here in Canada. Despite the fact that we do not have an embargo, and that we can easily access CC's, it does not make them inexpensive. CC's and NC's are heavily taxed here in Montreal. A typical CAO Brazilia could go for 18$ at a local B&M. Also, we have no choice but to buy the CC's from here. We cannot purchase them from Cubas and ship them here. We will be heavily taxed again. However, we may bring 1 box (and only 1) per person when visiting cuba. We can declare only 1 box and bring in a few more, but then again, I am sticking to the legalities of this matter.
Ferrari5180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnbikes View Post
In speaking with several industry insiders, the Cuban blenders are all ready experimenting with "imported" tobaccos. I did not believe it when I heard this the first time, but having it confirmed by people that "used to be" key people in the Cuban cigar industry, I now believe it. So don't be suprised when you see Cuban cigars that are not puros.
Garry
They would love to get their hands on Connecticut wrapper. It's tough to grow tobacco in Cuba that isn't chewed full of bug holes.
It certainly wouldn't be but a two minute consideration for them, I'm sure.
Iirc, pre-embargo cc's were nearly all, if not all, made with Connecticut wrappers.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
They are expensive here in Canada. Despite the fact that we do not have an embargo, and that we can easily access CC's, it does not make them inexpensive. CC's and NC's are heavily taxed here in Montreal. A typical CAO Brazilia could go for 18$ at a local B&M. Also, we have no choice but to buy the CC's from here. We cannot purchase them from Cubas and ship them here. We will be heavily taxed again. However, we may bring 1 box (and only 1) per person when visiting cuba. We can declare only 1 box and bring in a few more, but then again, I am sticking to the legalities of this matter.
If you're paying $18 for a CAO Brazilia in Canada, it would be more appropriate to simply state that cigars are expensive there, CC or NC. I've spent less than that on a fiver of Brazilia before SCHIP was passed.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #19
fuente~fuente

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
They would love to get their hands on Connecticut wrapper. It's tough to grow tobacco in Cuba that isn't chewed full of bug holes.
It certainly wouldn't be but a two minute consideration for them, I'm sure.
Iirc, pre-embargo cc's were nearly all, if not all, made with Connecticut wrappers.
I myself am waiting for Cameroon wrapped.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

I would like to see a blend that combined the rich mouthfeel and taste of Nicaraguan tobacco with the wider aromatic horizons of Cuban leaf, say a Nic Corojo wrapper, Cuban Binder and filler with a bit of Nic Ligero in the filler for some kick. Now that would be a hell of a cigar.