Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough
Default WTF happened to my hygrometer?

The other day I was looking into my Vinotemp and my hygromter was setting at 67%rh, as it had been for days. I needed to adjust it down (it's the round adjustable hygrometer), so I took it out, turned it two clicks counter-clockwise, hit the button and set it back in the Vino. Now it's been solid at 54%rh for days instead of 65%. I know that's not what my humidor is sitting at, but I want to know why my hygro did that. I don't have enough clicks left on the dial to turn it up 9 points...what did I do to it?
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WTF happened to my hygrometer?

What kind is it? Mine sets at 75% so if you click it at 67 it will set it 8 % too low.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
The other day I was looking into my Vinotemp and my hygromter was setting at 67%rh, as it had been for days. I needed to adjust it down (it's the round adjustable hygrometer), so I took it out, turned it two clicks counter-clockwise, hit the button and set it back in the Vino. Now it's been solid at 54%rh for days instead of 65%. I know that's not what my humidor is sitting at, but I want to know why my hygro did that. I don't have enough clicks left on the dial to turn it up 9 points...what did I do to it?

Salt test

But my bet would be battery
Old 01-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
bigliver
Cigarmurai

First Name: Jason
Trading: (9)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
bigliver will become famous soon enough

I'm gonna go with a battery problem...at least I'm gonna start with that.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
What kind is it? Mine sets at 75% so if you click it at 67 it will set it 8 % too low.

Yours is probably similar to mine. What you just did was tell your hygro that 65=75 when you hit the button.

That button is to calibrate it to 75%, not to reset. It sounds like yours is off about 10% which would make your RH a very comfy 64%.

Do the salt test and re-calibrate... if you havent changed your battery in a while, now would be a good time too, so you dont have to re-recalibrate.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post

Yours is probably similar to mine. What you just did was tell your hygro that 65=75 when you hit the button.

That button is to calibrate it to 75%, not to reset. It sounds like yours is off about 10% which would make your RH a very comfy 64%.

Do the salt test and re-calibrate... if you havent changed your battery in a while, now would be a good time too, so you dont have to re-recalibrate.
OH okay. Didn't know the button put it back at 75%. I guess I'll have to salt test the bugger again. Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
OH okay. Didn't know the button put it back at 75%. I guess I'll have to salt test the bugger again. Thanks for the help guys
yeah, im ALMOST positive that hitting that button signals to the device <this is 75% RH>

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

smart man, Moe
Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish View Post
smart man, Moe
Aint he though.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You might oughta put a new battery in it, too.
I buy button batteries on ebay and they're really cheap. Almost free.
I always keep a lot around cause I have about 15 hygrometers going at any given time. It's a sickness.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Agent11br
Smokin @ Got Rocks

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (2)
HdM
Agent11br is on a distinguished road

Glad I read this in case it happens to mine
Old 01-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

Bolivar

Okay another question...if the button resets the hygrometer at 75%, why isn't the salt test working? I removed the battery, reset the dial to the from-the-factory position, put it back in and salt tested it for a day, and hit the button. It still reads a solid 60% in the bag, instead of 75%, and I still don't have 15 clicks left on the dial to adjust it up to 75%. Even when I click the dial up it doesn't seem to do anything. New battery time I guess...I just wish I could figure this thing out.

And BTW Shilala...I just smoked that Punch RS11...you wallet-wrecker, it was amazing!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #13
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Dont hit the button until youve salt-tested ALREADY. Then see what your reading is, adjust dial as necessary till it reads 75, THEN hit the button.

I try to do this right through the ziplog bag I use for testing. I then leave the hygro in there for another 24 hours to check if the calibration is correct.

Also remember the salt test should be done at room temp. Ive done it in my cool basement and its thrown the calibration off.

But as I said before, change the battery FIRST so you wont have to just repeat this step in a month.

This is what all 5 of my hygros look like

Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay another question...if the button resets the hygrometer at 75%, why isn't the salt test working? I removed the battery, reset the dial to the from-the-factory position, put it back in and salt tested it for a day, and hit the button. It still reads a solid 60% in the bag, instead of 75%, and I still don't have 15 clicks left on the dial to adjust it up to 75%. Even when I click the dial up it doesn't seem to do anything. New battery time I guess...I just wish I could figure this thing out.

And BTW Shilala...I just smoked that Punch RS11...you wallet-wrecker, it was amazing!
Yes sir, that RS11 is a treat.
I still haven't scooped up some more but they're on my short list of "cc's to acquire".
Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Mike
Trading: (11)
Prospector will become famous soon enough

The instructions for my hygrometer say that each click of the dial will adjust the readout by 1%, but in reality mine usually adjust it by 4 or 5 % per click. As such I can not normally get the readout exactly where I want it and end up still have to do a mental correction. Anybody else see this happen?
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

The way you are describing this now, it doesn't sound like the 75% test and adjust type that I thought you were talking about. What is the brand name of it?
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Mike
Trading: (11)
Prospector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
The way you are describing this now, it doesn't sound like the 75% test and adjust type that I thought you were talking about. What is the brand name of it?
Mine is the Hygroset Adjustable - round model. I don't believe Snake said what he has but I would guess it's the same.
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #18
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Mine is the Hygroset Adjustable - round model. I don't believe Snake said what he has but I would guess it's the same.
That's what I have.

@md4958
That's what I did. I hit the button while it was in the bag, but it's been rock solid at 60% - there aren't 15 clicks left on the dial to adjust it up to 75%, otherwise I'd just do that. So I guess I'll just go to Walgreen's and grab a battery and see if that's the problem.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
The instructions for my hygrometer say that each click of the dial will adjust the readout by 1%, but in reality mine usually adjust it by 4 or 5 % per click. As such I can not normally get the readout exactly where I want it and end up still have to do a mental correction. Anybody else see this happen?
I have at least one that's goofy like that.
Usually when they act that way it's the hygrometer telling me it wants a new battery. I have a round one that just drives me nuts trying to get it right. Sometimes I get lucky and land at 75%, other times I settle for a point off.

I should mention this...
The sensors on these hygrosets have sticky stuff on them. I have no idea why, or what benefit it might be, but when I'm working at making up beads and bags they tend to get loose beads and junk stuck to the sensor.
Whenever anything gets stuck to the sensor they become notoriously inaccurate.
I have an exacto knife I use to reach in through the vent and I knock the junk off and they heal right up.
It might be worth a look if a battery doesn't do the trick.