Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #41
Hardcz

Default Re: Silound's Dog-Rocket Review Challenge!

BTW I won't read borndead's reviews or your notes on what was included until the cigar is finished, didn't realize you posted them on the first page, good thing I went looking before I posted the review.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #42
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Negatory, there are NO good sticks in there, and certainly no CC's. If it smoked well, I'll be damned.

I wish I had pictures to remember what cigar was what, because if they really have turned out to be decent smokes, I'm going to have to revisit them.

EDIT: WOOHOOO FOR PICTURES!

Man, I think you got your sticks mixed up because "dog rocket" #3 is an awesome smoke!
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #43
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I am so happy I didn't sign up for this
Old 01-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #44
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

The big question is, will they both make it past "cigar #7?" Stay tuned folks
Old 01-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #45
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
The big question is, will they both make it past "cigar #7?" Stay tuned folks

Are you doubting me, sucka?

Dog Rocket #4

From Silound's description: God only knows where these came from, I’ve had them so long I think they’re multiplying. I got a box of 100 at one time as give-away cigars. They came looking like hell. Marketed as Honduran, these may at best be what was scraped up from a dead Honduran dog.

My take: A perfecto shape cigar, similar to a Hemingway...that has been dropped, run over, and kicked across the road. Man, this thing is beat up. The head is split, the foot is split, there is a big gaping tear in the wrapper...but surprisingly it draws perfectly and burns well too.

Honestly, this cigar was not bad at all. Mild, nice amount of smoke, flavor was one-dimensional but not bad at all. If I had to guess, I would say it was a JR Alternative to a Hemingway.

So far, the first 2 have been dog rockets, #3 was a fantastic smoke and I truly believe Silound made a mistake ...and dog rocket #4 was not a premium smoke but in my opinion not what I would consider a dog rocket.

I met KenS, Lee, and HK3 for a smoke today. Ken was nice enough to snap a pic:

EDIT: Man, I gotta figure out how to post full sized pics. I tried it a few times and apparently I am a moron. Sorry for the tiny pic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogrocket4.jpg (4.7 KB, 429 views)
Old 01-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #46
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post

Dog Rocket #4

From Silound's description: God only knows where these came from, I’ve had them so long I think they’re multiplying. I got a box of 100 at one time as give-away cigars. They came looking like hell. Marketed as Honduran, these may at best be what was scraped up from a dead Honduran dog.

My take: A perfecto shape cigar, similar to a Hemingway...that has been dropped, run over, and kicked across the road. Man, this thing is beat up. The head is split, the foot is split, there is a big gaping tear in the wrapper...but surprisingly it draws perfectly and burns well too.

Honestly, this cigar was not bad at all. Mild, nice amount of smoke, flavor was one-dimensional but not bad at all. If I had to guess, I would say it was a JR Alternative to a Hemingway.

So far, the first 2 have been dog rockets, #3 was a fantastic smoke and I truly believe Silound made a mistake ...and dog rocket #4 was not a premium smoke but in my opinion not what I would consider a dog rocket.

I met KenS, Lee, and HK3 for a smoke today. Ken was nice enough to snap a pic:

EDIT: Man, I gotta figure out how to post full sized pics. I tried it a few times and apparently I am a moron. Sorry for the tiny pic!
Was laughing at the start and thought this cigar was going to circle the drain for you,,,but guess it turned out pretty decent. I like surprises like that. As far as being to post full sized pics,,,,,download the pic to your User file where you have pictures and albums and then click on your pic and get the www. link and copy and paste into the thread,,,PM me if you need more help. When I first tried to do this I got all worked up and had to have someone babystep me thru the process.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #47
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Dog Rocket #4
When I see review #8, I'll be impressed

Regarding your photo's, you can use
photobucket.com and like cigary states, upload your photo's to your My Pictures file, then you can use photobucket to upload from your My Pictures to photobucket. Then when you post your next review on Dog Rocket #5 (if you make it), just use the "insert image" icon in the post area and copy the link from photobucket to it. Its pretty simple once you get the hang of it and everyone will go ga ga over your photo talents too

Last edited by mmblz; 01-15-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: fixed link
MarkinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #48
borndead1

Partagas

Yay!!!! I've always wondered why my dad calls me sun--it's cuz I'm so bright!

Pic is still small, but it was a cellphone pic and looks terrible when blown up.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #49
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Yay!!!! I've always wondered why my dad calls me sun--it's cuz I'm so bright!

Pic is still small, but it was a cellphone pic and looks terrible when blown up.

"Dude, cool shirt. I can relate to that.... That's my name. "

I bet that guy talked your head off until you left the place today!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #50
Hardcz

going up for number 2 today!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #51
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Bwah-hahahahaha!

Your funeral from what I hear
Old 01-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #52
Hardcz

This cigar is a larger ring gauge maybe 48 and about 7 inches long. it has a smooth papery wrapper, looks to be a decent looking smoke, good draw and light aroma.

First thought is it's tobacco, it's not too bad, has a little bit of an untasty flavor on the middle back of my tongue, not too harsh, just barely there.

About an inch in, it's still semi harsh, though it tastes dry, and like something burning...no pun intended. No real flavors other than some tobacco and something I'm trying to figure out.

So making my way into the stick, about 1/4 way through, and the slight dry burn in the back of my throat is there, reminded of that smoking recipts again. I wish this cigar had flavor but all I get is a very subtle pepper with tobacco then it's gone, leaving a slight taste of what I imagine that tar would be.

Well something I just wanted to point out, this ash is sticking on quite well, I don't trust it past an inch, but hell this cigar seems to have some pretty good construction. Now only if the taste wasn't void of any real flavor it'd be great. At this point I'm going to suspect that there really won't be any flavor other than the dry burning tobacco with the hint of pepper. I'm sad, but I guess this is one of Silound's "Worst cigars ever"

Also for reference I'm letting the cigar rest about 2-3 minutes between puffs to try to keep it cool. At this point I can't just drink the water, so I ordered my old friend, meet Tall Guinness.

So the Guinness might be helping... there's an ever subtle hint of a sweetness, like that if you've ever tasted flower petals, though it's quickly overshadowed with the burning tobacco and hints of pepper.

So I'm not hitting the Guinness hard, to keep the cigar profile alive, but really I have to from time to time because I get this slimey nastiness that needs to be washed away. One dimensional, I'm feeling... warm, and not so good....

Ok seriously this is starting to get bad. Has an almost sour taste to it, pepper is kicking up, though strangely enough there is little after taste, just that nasty sourness now.

Holy crap this must be a great cigar.....*cough* Because my mouth is burning and I have a pinch in the back of my throat, hurts just a little. For a brief moment it tasted almost like the toasted flavor in roasted nuts, but then was gone and I was overshadowed with hot burning swill from the battlefields of an ancient civilization.

Seriously I'm trying, but with every puff, this is getting worse. I have a disgusting tar, tobacco, burning *pepper* sour note in my mouth. I'm going to put this down. It's got maybe 1-2 inches I could smoke...but why go through that much suffering.... this is bad...

Downing some Guinness now.... ok that's a little better....

And as a chaser I brought along a RASS.

Getting a nice mellow well rounded flavor. it's not quite creamy...but almost there, has a good tobacco flavor, not harsh in the slightest, very smooth, slight toasty flavors with a hint of hazelnut.... oh yea wrong place...

Thanks bro for that dog rocket.... I'm cringing at the next one...now to go read the other review and what you thought of it...

And for your viewing pleasure, the progression of the smoke....

Old 01-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #53
Hardcz

ran out of picture space....

OR THE SUPER SECRET AWESOME!!!

Last edited by Hardcz; 01-04-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: pics
Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #54
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Hahaha, "burning hot swill of ancient civilization" eh?

Love the face though! Can't wait to see some more reviews!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #55
borndead1

Partagas

Dog Rocket #5

From Silound's description: #5 Supposed Cuban knockoffs, these are about as Cuban as I am. Also, they smell like a leprous goat. Pity, because they honestly look decent. I haven’t a clue where these are from.

My take: Lonsdale sized cigar, very well rolled honestly. Solid stick, no soft spots, perfect draw. Pre-light draw is a very faint grassy flavor.

First few draws are very bitter and grassy, with a sour aftertaste. The aroma coming from the foot is pretty nice though, like baking cocoa. The flavor of the cigar is not good at all so far. I will try to tough it out though.

About 1" in, same bitter grass flavor, with an aftertaste of rancid butter. Man this thing is nasty. Why, oh why did I sign up for this?

About 2" in, the flavor profile of this cigar is showing an amazing complexity. I can taste grass, hay, pencil lead, and rotten milk. I do not, however, taste the notes of leprous goat that Silound described. Obviously my palate is not as refined as his.

OK, I lasted as long as I could. Made it almost halfway. Dog Rocket #5 was truly a dog rocket.

Only 11 more dog rockets to go! Yay!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #56
Hardcz

Doh! Thought I posted this before, though after being sick all weekend, time to play catch up...here is number 3.

Lighting up tonight with with a guinness a nice lady by me and yea... a little fear.

So it's got a smooth wrapper, somewhat tight draw... cigar looks to be about 7 inches, maybe 46 rg.

Prelight draw isn't much, just some tobacco flavor that is pleasant.

Very smooth cigar, in about half an inch, not bad, nothing great though, just kind of the tobacco flavor. Angelb says it smells like a bowling alley.

just over an inch now, this cigar is very smooth, it's hard to believe it's a "worst dog rocket ever" though you can tell it's probably a cheaper smoke because of the lack of flavor really. To me this screams that it was a mild cigar that has aged a little bit and mellows out, maybe dried out at one point. Reminds me a little of the Dominican Primeros. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=490

I'm thinking....I should start doing this for a living, I could quit my job and smoke dog rockets all day..... yea that's a great idea!
So back to the cigar... I'm starting to develop a nasty taste in the back of my throat... still smooth, still void of much flavor. I taste tobacco, and have a lingering aftertaste of it, but that's all. I was hoping I might gain something. Where's the barnyard, where's the manure? I need to taste farm animal poo!

O M G!!!! FLAVOR!!!!

For an infinitesimal second there was a little spice on the right side of my tongue. Now this could of been a taste bud dieing because of the lack of flavor, but who really knows. I'm going to be on the cigars side in this case. YOU GO #3!

Ok, so I was correct, there is flavor. Now letting it rest 2-3 min between puffs... it stays mellow, if you puff slightly quicker the spice comes out. The other flavor that is developing is a dry earthy flavor. Imagine if you will dry grass, thin twigs that are dried out, it's something like that...earthy...yea... guess that's the right one.

Ok so it's starting to get gross... there is a slight hint of black pepper, the "earthy" flavor is bleh... the tobacco flavor isn't there really anymore, and the flavor that's over powering tastes like a wet tobacco tar flavor...BLEH! I'm told...it now smells like wet bowling alley carpet.... you heard it right here folks!

Seriously... that was a bad puff.... dunno how to describe it. It was foul.... a little bitter with sourness and ummmmm hints of rotten potatoes.

I'm getting a numbing feeling on my tongue... this sucks... my lips are fine, I have a nsatay taste, I have to down guinness to help, but it's not much... Not as bad as the previous two but still... it's not a good experience.

I'm sorry brother, I must put this down, my tongue feels like it's been pumped full of novicane! OK not quite numb, but all of my taste buds fail to respond to any flavor other than the nasty burning twigs and hints of black pepper, oh and that overwhelming nasty tar taste...BLEH!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #57
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Heh, you know I had to go sniff my goddamn gym bag now JUST to get that wet-sock smell for a comparison.

Yetch! I must have put the leprous goat in there and let it die
Old 01-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #58
Cigary

This should be on TV,,,like Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Is there a producer out there that could turn this into a weekly series? Some of these have me rolling on the floor!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #59
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Some of these have me rolling on the floor!
Some of these have made me want to roll on the floor...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #60
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
Some of these have made me want to roll on the floor...
With men probably!