Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #41
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice
Default Re: 3 year olds and cigars.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofeardiver View Post
man not looking foreward to this my one year old allready crawls over and lifts him self up and bang on the glass of my vino... i am going to have to figure out a way to lock it...
There's a thread somewhere on here where someone came up with a halfway decent looking system.
Do you have a room where the door can be closed? May be a good alternative on where to keep it. I know when my daughter gets to that stage I may need to reassess my storage devices and go with a Vino or maybe a cooled Cabinet so I can keep them in my office upstairs where she can't just wonder in and have at it.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #42
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

will have to look its and edgestar, i know the vino i bought from Larry(Ogre) has a key hole, he is looking for the key for me, so i can lock that one, the other one i might have to put one of those child proof plastic locks on it temporary....
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #43
Christiel49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Dude, I have 3 girls, and they are gorgeous, I am seriously gonna either have a heart attack or be in prison when the boys start coming around!!!
I totally feel ya!!!!!

My daughter will be three in September. I don't smoke around her, but she knows mama smokes cigars. We really have not had any ?'s, just that is mama's cigars. Now the lighter is a totally different story!!!! I have to keep it HIDDEN! I generally smoke when I don't have her, because cigar smoke is so pungent and she likes snuggling!

I hope this helps!

I have to have talks with her about my SCOTCH being for adults way more often that the cigar situation. You would think that it taste bad to her, but she likes it. Definately my child
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #44
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

I have a 4yr old boy and a 2yr old girl. I smoke cigars, I drink and I brew beer. They ask questions and I answer honestly. When the 4yr old has asked to try the cigar I said "When you are 18 you can". When he asked me why I told him because his body has to be big like mine (at which he points and laughs at my belly) and that just like driving, the law saw you have to be a certain age or the police will come and get you. Would this conversation work with an older kid, probably not but I am just learning as I go. My parents drank and smoked cigars in front of me and I always understood that I couldn't until I was older.

By the way Remo, I haven't forgotten about you
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #45
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Good suggestions guys, thanks.

Albert, I know
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #46
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I too get this question from my 4 & 5 yr olds. They have gotten the smoking is bad for you stuff; my 5 yr old from school. Anyway, my wife smokes cigarettes, and they know they are bad for her.

She's trying to quit now, but a but it is hard for the kids to understand the difference between cigarettes and cigars. They understand that some drinks are "grown up" drinks and that some grown ups smoke. That much get. Good luck.

BTW, it's hard to think about some guy coming over to date my daughter (4) someday. That said I have a healthy firearm collection and I'm about 6'6" & 295. I promise you I will find a number of ways to put the fear of God into some poor kid's soul.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #47
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

My wife has a 4 and 8 year old both girls. Whenever a box is on the steps the first thing they ask is if it is more cigars. Whoops guess I need to cut back. Anyway everytime it is cigars they are the first to open the boxes so they can smell them. I dont smoke near them unless we are hiking. When they ask about them I tell them I smoke cigars to relax.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #48
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
Man I hope I have a boy first lol.
I have 2 boys (3 years and 1 year old). Tell you what, I was hoping for boys too, but my main concern was 10 fingers and 10 toes. Just a healthy baby was enough for me.

OP, my 3 year old knows what cigars are, and knows not to go near them. I told him once he's big like me, he can if he wants to. But cigars are only for grownups.

If they ever ask to try your beer though, let them. It only takes one little sip for them to never ask again!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #49
treatneggy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kurt
Trading: (8)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
treatneggy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofeardiver View Post
man not looking foreward to this my one year old allready crawls over and lifts him self up and bang on the glass of my vino... i am going to have to figure out a way to lock it...
I feel your pain. My 2 year old loves to play in any humidor he can reach, and ripped the hinges out of a desktop humidor while trying to open it - I think he had a hold of the lid and the humidor slipped off the desk.

He also likes to carry around any cigars he can find, especially when I'm trying to re-arrange the cooler!
treatneggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #50
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

my 3 year old daughter told me my cigar was stinky the other day
Old 06-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #51
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
my 3 year old daughter told me my cigar was stinky the other day
You imply a great point here...

Don't hide your cigar smoking. Kids are not stupid and they will get the wrong idea. Explain to them what it is, why you do it, and why they cannot do it now (it's an adult privilege)...

FWIW mmblz, my 20 year old son agrees with your daughter...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #52
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
You imply a great point here...

Don't hide your cigar smoking. Kids are not stupid and they will get the wrong idea. Explain to them what it is, why you do it, and why they cannot do it now (it's an adult privilege)...

FWIW mmblz, my 20 year old son agrees with your daughter...
Or......................

I assure you, my grandson will not touch a cigar for a very, very long time.
Right after that photo, the sting kicked in on the lips and tongue and on the floor it went.

Sometimes seeing it and touching it goes a long way with kids.
A kid's expert I saw once when I was a parent for the first time said something that stuck with my wife and I for years.
She said let them touch it, feel it, and they will move on.
For years, we had very expensive Capodimonte that survived through two kids by applying this principle.
Once the curiosity is satified, they move on.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #53
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

The way that I see it, you have nothing to explain to her. Adults do things that may seem strange to a child but that's the way that the world works.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #54
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
I have 2 boys (3 years and 1 year old). Tell you what, I was hoping for boys too, but my main concern was 10 fingers and 10 toes. Just a healthy baby was enough for me.

OP, my 3 year old knows what cigars are, and knows not to go near them. I told him once he's big like me, he can if he wants to. But cigars are only for grownups.

If they ever ask to try your beer though, let them. It only takes one little sip for them to never ask again!

Especially if it's a really hoppy IPA!!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #55
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

My Dad and a couple of his brothers used to spark up cigars whenever they got together when I was a kid. I didn't like the smell of them at the time (and I KNOW my Mom DIDN'T like cigars!!!), so I never bothered to question that. However, my Dad used to like smoking a pipe quite frequently, now that smell I liked! However, I never thought to get into Dad's tobacco, because I already knew that the consequences would be dire! SO here I sit, with cigar in hand...funny how that works, isn't it? I miss you Dad! I think my Dad and Uncles would approve of my choices in cigars, though.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #56
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
That's why I want boys lol. Call me when you need back up. Lol.
This is the reason I'll be on the front porch cleaning a shotgun the first time a boy comes over to the house.

I'll also take him out for a walk around the block explaining my expectations and should I find out that any of them are broken, I have ready-mix concrete in the garage ready to go and nobody would ever find his body in the pond.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #57
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Actually as far as beer, my 1 and 3 year olds both love it
Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #58
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Have A 3 Year Old Grandson That Follows Me Everywhere & Wants To Do Every Thing I Do. I Explain To Him When He "Grows Up", He Can Decide If He Wants To Smoke Cigars, But Now He Is Too Young. He Understands! My Wife & Daughter Hate It, Though, When He Smells My Cigar & Says, "Ummm, That Smells So Good!"
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #59
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Dude, I have 3 girls, and they are gorgeous, I am seriously gonna either have a heart attack or be in prison when the boys start coming around!!!
At least we'll be together...wait, that didn't sound right. Especially in reference to prison