Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #41
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brake pads for my Envoy, I need suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
You gonna adopt him?
I should, but everyone hates Verizon Wireless. I don't have enough bedrooms to adopt them all.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #42
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
One last observation and I'll shut up about my brakes (maybe)...
The old pads were only about half gone. They'd have easily got another 20 or 30k on them.
The difference in stopping power is HUGE with the new pads on.
I just put new tires on it about a month ago, now the new brakes up front, plus the rotors turned Monday, and man, does it stop way better. Takes a lot less effort on the brake pedal, too.
Plus it doesn't shimmy anymore when I stop and I bought the expensive tires so they oughta last a long time, plus they're silent.
I couldn't be more pleased with the whole experience.
Oh... now that you mention that......
Proper (or even at least) wheel nut torque is essential on most GM vehicles.
That is where your 'shimmy' comes from. It is caused by lateral runout that is a result from uneven torque.
100 ft. lbs. is the spec on yours. (103 actually, but 100 is goot enough)

If you just lean on them while tightening, you may have them tight enough, but they WILL be uneven. The first time you hit a puddle or snow with semi-hot rotors.... poof, warped and the shimmy is back.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #43
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I am glad it went well...there is a pride in doing things yourself!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #44
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Oh... now that you mention that......
Proper (or even at least) wheel nut torque is essential on most GM vehicles.
That is where your 'shimmy' comes from. It is caused by lateral runout that is a result from uneven torque.
100 ft. lbs. is the spec on yours. (103 actually, but 100 is goot enough)

If you just lean on them while tightening, you may have them tight enough, but they WILL be uneven. The first time you hit a puddle or snow with semi-hot rotors.... poof, warped and the shimmy is back.
That makes lots of sense. The right front rotor was the one that was warped and caused the shimmy.
I have the SLT aluminum wheels. They're real soft.
Now I'm gonna have to go get a torque wrench and check them all.
Thanks Tim!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #45
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That makes lots of sense. The right front rotor was the one that was warped and caused the shimmy.
I have the SLT aluminum wheels. They're real soft.
Now I'm gonna have to go get a torque wrench and check them all.
Thanks Tim!!!
That 103 is all Envoy 2002- models/all wheels.

Side note: I said I used to be a technician... now I design service equipment and work closely with the dude at GM who controls those wheel fastener torque specs. So.... you can trust that with a certain degree of certainty.

I'm crazy into wheel stuff like you are with your beads

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #46
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:

Side note: I said I used to be a technician... now I design service equipment and work closely with the dude at GM who controls those wheel fastener torque specs. So.... you can trust that with a certain degree of certainty.

I already bought in 100%.
That's why I'm gonna go buy a torque wrench. A good one, too.
I have to take my daughter to the park right now anyways, and Hovis is right over by there. They should have a decent one. That's where I got my brake pads yesterday.
I bought windshield wipers there that actually work on my Envoy once, too. Even the rear wiper blade works, which was the first one ever.
They're making a believer out of me. They got good stuff.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #47
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:

Hey Tim,
Got the torque wrench and got them all torqued.
Some needed some definate attention. Thanks for the help, brother!!!