Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about
Default Workshop tools

Well I'm moving into my first house that will alow me to have a workshop. I dont have much to start with. Just your normal screw drivers, hammer, etc.

I will be doing a lot of woodwork- cabinets and other random things. Also going to be doing all my HVAC (have most all tools), electric, and flooring.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I have about $2,000 to spend that Ive saved up. I was thinking a nice table saw, air compressor, nail gun, and a impact. My dad always taught me not to skimp out on tools and buy quality products.

I have a 4 piece Dewalt 20v combo kit for work that I can use if I need to. (impact, drill, circular saw, sawzaw).

Maybe someone with some experience with DIY projects can steer me in the right direction. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Workshop tools

compressor and nail guns
Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
compressor and nail guns
Second the Nail guns!! They have really come down in price. Get a framing gun that will shoot several sizes. And get an air-stapler that will double as a brad gun. Only problem with combo brad/staple guns is that the length of brads usable is reduced. My brad gun will shoot brads up to 2 inches, but my staple/brad gun only handles up to 1 1/2". But both were very affordable, so consider two finishing guns!!! I also agree with air impacts/ratchets. For the 1/2 " drive, spend the extra dollars and get a high-torque model. You will appreciate it the first time you try to remove a stubborn lug nut!! 3/8" drive.... You can go for a standard, or a palm/compact version. The standard gives you more leverage, the palm gets into tighter areas. Seriously, though..... Unless you plan on doing a lot of auto mechanic work, you might find that the 3/8" impacts get little use.

Get a good 110V circular saw and maybe a good 110V saw-saw. They will beat a cordless on any extended project.

A decent, trigger actuated hot glue gun is always handy.

A good rolling tool-box, if you don't already have one.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Steelerfanatic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
RA Navy (Served With Honor)
Steelerfanatic is on a distinguished road

Definitely get a compressor and air tools. Home Depot has a porter cable compressor and three gun combo for 259. Works like a champ. Also, I buy Ridgid tools, sold at Home Depot. They are a little high but most come with a lifetime warranty, even on batteries. Just picked up a large table saw, drill combo kit and router.....all guaranteed forever.

Also, look at Craigslist and you can find some really great deals on barely used tools.
Steelerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Bar clamps. DO NOT GO CHEAP ON THESE. Get a good quality clamp. Especially for cabinetry. I learned the hard way with Harbor Freight bar clamps. They are aluminum and will bend under torque.

Outside of the usual stuff
-Plunge Router
-Biscuit Jointer
-Solid benchtops to work on
-Dovetail Jig
-Pocket Screw Jig
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

You can buy the clamps that fasten onto iron plumbing pipe. Dad invested in about 6 sets of these and I like them. You just cut the pipe the length you need the clamps. They can be removed and fastened to longer pipes when needed.

I have top of the line Cast Iron Sears Craftsman table saw with the Biesemeyer fence clone. Sears version of it. I modified it to take a 39.5 inch cut on the right. Since cabinet bases are 35.25 high, this is now perfect. The pulley on the motor has been removed and replaced with the next size DOWN to increase RPM's. All my saw blades are rated at 5900 RPM or better and the saw is now at 5200 RPM, the same as a Powermatic. Cuts much better and smoother.

I have a 6" Jet Jointer I use to true boards that are bowed. A Jet 14" Band saw. Lowes used to sell these which is how I got them. I have a Delta 10" Radial Arm that I'm extremely disappointed in. I can't keep it true and square. I'm seriously considering going back to a Sears since their power tools have gotten exponentially better.

Of course, I have tons of specialty wood working tools which include an impressive collection of planes that my wife's grandfather found in a dumpster. I restored them and they are in use.

I have a dovetail jig. Never use it. probably not that I never will but I just build cabinets and I see no value in the extra effort of dovetail drawers. Maybe if I move into high quality furniture, I'll dust it off.

My best worktable buy was a rolling bench with tool drawers and cabinet I got at Sam's. I'm going to invest in even more of these since I like the look and mobility.

I, of course, have air finish nailers that I value in clean cabinet work. Also have a B&D finish nailer cordless 14.4 V that does an amazing job.

Of course, last but certainly not least and a MUST if you get into wood work and that is Irwin Quick Clamps. Get about 10 of these. 6 small and 4 large. You'll thank me later.

* These are not pics of my actual tools but they look exactly like these.

Last edited by cmitch; 11-13-2012 at 08:46 AM.
cmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Home Depot black friday, they had some pretty good deals last year, at least the one by me. Some nice deals on compressors a few for under a $100 if your looking at pancake size and the larger ones were very cheap too.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post

Of course, last but certainly not least and a MUST if you get into wood work and that is Irwin Quick Clamps. Get about 10 of these. 6 small and 4 large. You'll thank me later.

On sale right now at Lowes---6 for $20

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...587-_-10926682
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote