Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you smoke at Herfs?
Only NCs 13 9.35%
Only CCs 17 12.23%
Only HTF/Special NCs (Opus, Drac, GOF, ESG, etc.) 1 0.72%
Only HTF/Special CCs (Dunhills, Vintage sticks) 0 0%
Both regular production NCs and CCs 14 10.07%
Both HTF/Special NCs and CCs 9 6.47%
Both regular and HTF CCs and NCs (Whatever I feel like at the time) 85 61.15%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default What do you smoke at herfs?

I'm wondering if you b/sotl set aside cigars specifically for herfing, or do you just grab what you're in the mood for and go? Is it only NCs, CCs, or both? Are they HTF/Special sticks or just regularly produced favorites?

I myself have been thinking about what to smoke come next herf time (probably not until summer). I set aside an Opus X, Mag 50, Tat Drac, and a Tat Black tubo simply for the sake of smoking at a herf. I most often find myself bringing one HTF NC along with (what I consider) "Special-er" sticks (Oliva V Lanceros, Tat J21s, or Cabaiguans for example- cigars I do not normally smoke but are fairly regularly produced). I often leave my "everyday go-to" sticks at home because I think herfing deserves some extra ordinary cigars.

Anyone else do this?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
ScottishSmoker

Default Re: What do you smoke at herfs?

I smoke cigars at herfs....If people at herfs are going too judge you for not smoking rare things...the herf is not going too be all that fun...be happy with what you have, if you have a favorite everyday smoke, bring them along...who knows, you may end up turning someone else on to them...
Old 03-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I don't care if it's a rare smoke or not, I take what I like and what I think someone else will like. If I can turn them onto something new, then great, if not oh well. I just wanna smoke and have a good time with fellow cigar nuts.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSmoker View Post
I smoke cigars at herfs....If people at herfs are going too judge you for not smoking rare things...the herf is not going too be all that fun...be happy with what you have, if you have a favorite everyday smoke, bring them along...who knows, you may end up turning someone else on to them...
I dont mean bringing HTF cigar for the sake of impressing people, I just mean that herfs bring a specific atmosphere about them, and I like smoking a special cigar to make it "more special".
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

I would bring what I have. That being said, I mostly have inexpensive cigars that came as samplers.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
nyisles

I usually light up a white owl grape to see if anyone judges me. If not, I toss it and light up something good. If people judge me I make an early exit.

Seriously though I know a few people who load up their travel humidors with ultra rare sticks to show off. Blows my mind. Never bring super special stuff to a herf because people trade sticks left and right.

I bring stuff I like so if a BOTL gives me a cigar I can give him something I know I like back.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

I like to bring some sticks that I wouldn't smoke everyday, not to be impressive but because I, like the OP, think it is a sort-of special occasion so I bring cigars accordingly
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

I also must add that most CCs I bring (even regular production ones) are special to me and are chosen as "special sticks" for herfs, mostly becuase I have limited CC experience.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

cigars.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I dont mean bringing HTF cigar for the sake of impressing people, I just mean that herfs bring a specific atmosphere about them, and I like smoking a special cigar to make it "more special".
I get what ya mean. I bring a little bit of everything. I definetly but aside about one hyped/"special" stick per day of the herf to both add to the event's uniqueness and share w/friends. I also bring my go-to sea-gars as well

Old 03-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
adampc22

will tell u after the march amsterdam herf lol
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

I bring what I like to smoke. I usually smoke like a chimney at herfs, so I bring stuff I know I like and will smoke. Will bring a case of "stuff" to hand out, return gift favors etc.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I bring out the good stuff for herfs. A herf is definitely a special occasion for me. I also bring the "go-to" sticks, stuff I know I'm going to enjoy. A good cigar becomes an excellent cigar with the right company.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

I suppose to it depends on the type of herf you are attending.

Is an annual event? A monthly or weekly get together with the crew?

I based my answer on the monthly get togethers. But I suppose if I was going to a "special herf", Socal, Shack Epic...i might find some of the other stuff and bring it along.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #16
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

My "everyday" smokes tend not to make it into the herfador. I see herfs as a time to relax and maybe smoke a stick or two I wouldn't normally otherwise -- an RE or an EL, for example -- plus it gives me an opportunity to share a really good cigar via a PPP. Doesn't mean the stick is HTF, just that it's not something I smoke a lot of during the course of the year.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
My "everyday" smokes tend not to make it into the herfador. I see herfs as a time to relax and maybe smoke a stick or two I wouldn't normally otherwise -- an RE or an EL, for example -- plus it gives me an opportunity to share a really good cigar via a PPP. Doesn't mean the stick is HTF, just that it's not something I smoke a lot of during the course of the year.
Those sticks are what I label "special"- something that is not in your normal rotation.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

It would depend on the herf. For normal one day herfs, I might smoke an EL or Regional as my first smoke. Especially if it is a big smoke as I usually dont like to smoke DC's or salamones for a everyday stick. Most likely though it will be a normal production mild or medium CC. Probably smoke 2 more CC's in progression saving a Boli or Partagas for the last CC. Then I move to full bodied NC's as my palate is pretty much blown out after smoking 3 larger CC's in a row. For a normal herf 3 NC's is about my limit. Then back to less expensive CC's like a JLP or an inexpensive Partagas. Trying at this point to back down on the nic. That's about 6-8 smokes for a normal 8-10hour herf.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
Addiction

My answer is actually both regular and HTF/Special CCs. I always like to have a little something nice for a ppp. But I herf a lot so when me, Matt, Brian or Jkim get together (easily at least once a week, sometimes as many as three times) We're all happy to pass whatever we have.

I also don't smoke more than 5 cigars a day, I find that by the fifth my palette is pretty shot.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Gotta go with Vin on this one. Well put.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote