Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #261
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

Not a lot of the scores from last night interest me much, as they were pretty much what you'd think. So then, I'll just hit a few:

Syracuse 56 - South Florida 48 = Joe says above the Bulls had no shot against the Orange in this game, and as I did not see it I can't dispute it. Yet it does seem by the scoring they hung pretty tough in the Dome, and weren't blown off the court. Were I Jim Boeheim, I'd be concerned about the poor shooting and getting outrebounded at home, and had not the Bulls had 19 turnovers, and the Orange had 19 more free throw attempts, this would have been a nail-biter. Hey, if wishes was fishes, right?

Temple 80 - LaSalle 79 (OT) = You young fellas may have no clue when I mention those Big Five battles one should expect, but if you live long enough, and see as many wars as this one, you'll start to understand.

Michigan State 66 - Minnesota 61 = And I expected a close one here too, which is turned out to be. I'm sure Izzo was happy to get out of town with this one.

Kansas 66 - Texas A&M 58 = OK, so I know it was in College Station, but that does not excuse such a relatively poor showing by the Jayhawks. Were they looking forward to that Mizzou game Saturday, or did the Aggies finally make it to the arena? If anybody saw this one, please tell me.

Northeastern 85 - George Mason 82 (OT) = This is one of two BIG upsets in small conferences that totally threw wrenches into league races. The Patriots are now tied at 14-3 with VCU for 2nd place in the CAC, behind Drexel at 15-2. In the meanwhile, the Huskies "improve" to 13-15 overall. With at-large bids of such rare value in these mid-majors, this one could be huge.

UTEP 76 - Southern Miss 68 (2OT) = As could this one in the CUSA, though they do tend to get a bit more at-large respect. This upset of the Golden Eagles puts them in a tie with Tulsa for 2nd at 9-4, with Memphis atop at 10-3. And those Miners get themselves above .500 by "improving" to 14-13. See, this is the kind of stuff I love about college hoops.

San Diego State 67 - Wyoming 58 (OT) = I had a feeling the Aztecs would have trouble again last night, but they did manage to outscore the Cowboys 12-3 in extra time. But I'd bet you Larry was sweating this one out, no doubt.

Tonight has a handful of games with some potential, especially:

Duke vs. Florida State = At 10-2 each, they are a whoppin' 1/2-game behind UNC for 1st place in the ACC race. This of course means the winner moves into a tie, and the loser will have to start hoping somebody else can help them out. As my Tar Heels get no chance to avenge themselves on the 'Noles, but do have a trip to Durham coming soon, I'm certainly rooting for the Blue Devils to help US out this evening down in Tallahassee. It won't be easy, and this ought to be a fight to the finish.

Alabama vs. Arkansas = Though not a comparable factor in the SEC race, this could be important for the post-season hopes of both teams. At 17-9 and 17-10 overall resp't., they are pretty bubbly, and need some more wins to feel safe. The Tide and 'Hogs should both know this, and ought to come out with some fire. Since they are a fairly even match, this may be a lot of fun.

Murray State vs. Tennessee State = Back on Feb. 8th Racer fans printed up T-shirts extolling their unbeaten record. On Feb. 9th the Tigers came into town and beat them 72-68. Although the OVC regular-season race is over already, this final game for TS in Nashville gives them a shot at capping a good season for them, while at the same time belling the cat that's been those Racers by giving them BOTH their losses. If you're not interested in this one, you don't belong on this thread at all.

Louisville vs. Cincinnati = Though the Cardinals are getting much more national respect than are the Bearcats, you should note the are both 9-5 in Big East play, tied a hair above mid-pack for 6th place. Louisville's been all over the ballpark this year, while Cincy came out of that brawl with crosstown Xavier on a roll that's only stumbled several times. Flip a coin on this one, for though I think UL's a better team, I don't know if they are consistent enough to show up.

Stanford vs. Colorado = Although there are a number of other Pac-12 games this evening, most of them are mis-matches which ought to go to the favorites quite easily. USC at 'Zona? Cal at Utah? C'mon. But here we have a close one between two pretty good teams. Both would be in line to earn at-large bids . . . were they not in the (justifiably?? ehhh . . .) lowly-regarded Pac-12. Hey, seems to me last year people complained that too many Pac-10 teams made the NCAAs, and they continued to complain . . . up until those Left Coast teams knocked THEIR brackets into hats. In any case, I'm looking for a good game in Boulder tonight.

BYU vs. Gonzaga = And this ought to be a good one also, and one with more conference-standings import that the one above. These two are tied for 2nd in the WCC at 11-3, a full game back of St. Mary's at 12-2. I'd have little problem with the Selection Committe going 2-deep in this conference, but if they go 3-deep, and somebody like Jerry's Wolfpack has to sit because they don't go deeper than 4 into the ACC, I'm sure he'd be p!$$ED, and I wouldn't much like it either. But aside from that aside, this one's key for these two as they strive to get back to The Dance, one way or another.

That's gonna do it for me today. Until later then . . . enjoy.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #262
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

There were a few scores of note last night, but none larger than:

Duke 74 - Florida State 66 = The Blue Devils did exactly what they needed to do, for themselves, for my Heels, and for you guys. This moved them back into a tie with UNC for the ACC lead, while putting the 'Noles a game back of both. It also gives both Dook and Carolina a chance to control their own fates, for all they have to do now is win their remaining few games to take the regular-season title. And unless you are one of those fervent Duke and/or Carolina haters, you have to admit that what you really want to see is the Heels visiting Durham in about a week with all the marbles on the line. Well, keep your fingers crossed, as we're not there yet. Still, the odds of that improved due to this Duke victory. Good for them.

Murray State 80 - Tennessee State 62 = Not only did Joe's Racers avenge their only loss down in Nashville, they did it in a big way. Maybe they were focused, maybe they've gotten their second wind, or maybe they were just p!$$ed.

Cincinnati 60 - Louisville 56 = But to add a little rain to Joe's parade, we had another poor showing from Pitino's Yo-Yos. When they are good, they spin like a top. When they are not, the string breaks and they go rolling under the couch. Admittedly, the Bearcats needed a good win better than did the Cardinals, and maybe that was part of it. Still, you gotta wonder what sort of shelf life Louisville will have in the post-season.

Iowa 67 - Wisconsin 66 = I saw this one yesterday, and thought about mentioning how the Hawkeyes had another shot at pulling one out of their behinds. But on second thought, I figured they'd done about all you could reasonably expect from them already this year, and I didn't want to press my luck. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, right? Next time I'll follow my gut and not my head.

Stanford 74 - Colorado 50 = This is not a good enough win to get the Cardinal into the NCAAs, nor is it a bad enough loss to keep the Buffaloes out. All that will hinge upon how much, or how little, respect the Pac-12 receives from the Selection Committee. Yet when one considers how many "upsets" we've had in games played in the Rocky Mountain Heights over the last week or two, it is remarkable that a sea-level squad like the Trees can so totally dominate in Boulder.

Gonzaga 74 - BYU 63 = On the other hand, I'm not sure the 'Zags needed this win for (at least) an at-large, nor does it ruin the Cougars' shot at one all that much. But it will likely put those Bulldogs back into the bottom of the Top 25 rankings again, where they will stay until the NEXT time they pop off their mouths and end up losing again.

As is the norm, there's not a lot to choose from tonight:

Penn vs. Dartmouth // Princeton vs. Harvard // Columbia vs. Yale = I lump all these together because they are all lumped together. Duh. The Quakers are 2nd in the Ivy at 7-2, while Haa'vaad is 1st at 9-1 (with that one loss being to the Princeton Tigers), and the Elis are not completely out of it yet with their 7-3 mark. There are enough games left for most anything to happen, and it could begin tonight.

Butler vs. Valparaiso = Two teams with some NCAA pedigree,and we'll probably see at least one of them in March. Besides that, they are pretty decent teams, and should give us a nice close game here.

Fairfield vs. Iona = Same here. The Gaels were supposed to be head-and-shoulders above all else in the MAAC, but their 1st-place record of 13-3 is but a hair better that the Stags' 12-4 (tied with Loyola MD) in 2nd place. So this also should be a fun one.

Marquette vs. West Virgina = The Mountaineers got on a roll for a while and surprised a lot of people with their success. But lately they've lost 6 of 8 games, and seem to be on a downhill slide into the NIT. The Golden Eagles came into the season with equally "meh" expectations, yet are dreaming of taking the Big East away from Syracuse . . . maybe not in regular-season play, but in the Garden come tourney time. Marquette can stand a loss here, but WVA can't take many more. Keep you eye on this one, if only to see if the Mountain Men have refound their game, or not.

That's it for this evening. I'll take a quick smoke now, and if I get the chance I'll look at the early action Saturday. But if not . . . enjoy.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #263
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

So here's a few of the early games on tap for tomorrow:

Vanderbilt vs. Kentucky = As much as I might like to give the Comms a shot at knocking off the 'Cats in Rupp, there's no way in hell I can reasonably do so. UK's been tough enough to win big, and resiliant enough to edge out the squeakers. Meanwhile, Vandy's not been able to put a really good game together all year. If this one's still close with 10 minutes left, I'll be surprised.

Notre Dame vs. St. John's = And though it is true that the young Johnnies have shocked a few people on occasion, I can't give them much better a shot at the Irish, even in MSG.

Virginia Tech vs. Duke = And although I also can't give the Hokies any good chance at the upset in Cameron, it is true that they DID beat UVA in Charlottesville, not to mention at Oak State and Rhode Island too. Plus, Miami shocked the Blue Devils in Durham, while State came a lot closer than was comfortable for K's kids. It's worth watching for a while, just to see what shakes out, but put your money on Dook.

Oklahoma vs. Baylor = The Sooners are also a big underdog here, being a game over .500 all year, and are not a good road team either. On the other hand, althought the Bears haven't collapsed like Illinois has, they have lost 3 of 5 now, and their confidence must be smarting a little. Once more I can't see an upset happening, but you just never know.

Iowa State vs. Kansas State = Did that big win by the Wildcats over Mizzou get them refocused and hyped, or will it make them vulnerable to a pretty good Cyclones team? This by far seems to be our best chance at a close tight contest in the early action tomorrow, and I'd flip a coin on it.

That's the best of the lunchtime fun for Saturday, as I see it anyway. See you later then for other games, and scores from this evening. Until then, enjoy.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #264
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Watching a great game between Loyola-MD vs Rider right now. 15 lead changes and 13 ties, so far, so LOTS of action!

Butler is down 8 right now; not looking good.

I'll go out on a limb and call the upset tomorrow-dook loses to VT
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #265
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Watching a great game between Loyola-MD vs Rider right now. 15 lead changes and 13 ties, so far, so LOTS of action!

Butler is down 8 right now; not looking good.

I'll go out on a limb and call the upset tomorrow-dook loses to VT

Yeah, that game ended with 17 lead changes, and a Rider win 83-79. I'm a bit surprised the .500 Broncos could take the superior Greyhounds like that, but this is what college hoops is all about. And the result, coupled with Iona's 77-72 victory over Fairfield, gave the Gaels the conference too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can enjoy games that don't involve the elite schools.

And yeah, Valpo spanked Butler pretty bad last night. I'm guessing we won't see the Bulldogs in the National Championship game again this season.

And as for the Hokies, they are hanging real tough with Dook so far. Then again, so is Vandy at Rupp against your 'Cats, so do you want TWO big upsets to start off the day?

Other close action last night:

Penn 57 - Dartmouth 54 = The Quakers did what they needed to do, even though they had more trouble than I figured. Yet it may have been for nought, considering . . .

Harvard 67 - Princeton 64 = The Crimson revenge their only Ivy loss, albeit barely, and retain the league lead. They've not yet earned their first NCAA bid since . . . lord, was it the Forties maybe? . . . but they are getting closer.

Marquette 61 - West Virginia 60 = The Mountaineers get what seems their umpteenth heartbreaking loss of the year, and see their post-season hopes swirling down the drain. Also, adding insult to injury, seems Buzz Williams tried to start a riot by dancing in front of the WVA student section after the Golden Eagles victory. Even though it was a waltz and not the funky chicken, it shows no class on his part.

Lemme go look at the later games today for a bit, and keep track of the earlir games too. Last time I looked, both Duke and UK were getting more than they want, and St. John's leads the Irish at the half. Back shortly.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #266
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Both Duke and UK are still fighting for their lives on their own courts at the moment, but the Johnnies have built up a double-digit lead over the Irish. It's too soon to call however, so let me hit some of the higher points in action to follow today:

Villanova vs. Georgetown = The Philly 'Cats have shown next to nothing all year, and it's pretty much a lost season for Jay Wright. Still, they could salvage some pride if they could beat the Hoyas down in DC. I don't give them much of a chance, but the young Hoyas have had a few bad games, so you never know.

UCLA vs. Arizona = The predicted turnaround for the Bruins never seemed to materialize, though they have played better in the 2nd half of this season. But this is about 'Zona's post-season hopes. At 20-9 and 11-3, in 3rd for the Pac-12 behind Cal and Wash, an old fogey like me would think they are safely in the at-large picture. However, that league gets even less respect than my ACC does these days, so who knows? What I do know is that a home loss to UCLA won't help them much, so the 'Cats best win in Tucson today.

N. C. State vs. Clemson = As above, I would think that, at 18-10 and 7-6, the 'Pack would be squarly in line for an at-large, despite their lack of any marquee wins. But that ain't the case. A win in Littlejohn may not get them over the bubble, but a loss may put them behind it. This one's huge for Jerry's kids.

Florida vs. Georgia = OK, the Gators have stunk up the place from time to time. OK, the Bulldogs have beaten Notre Dame and Miss. State this year. Regardless, I can't see this on in Athens being another shocking loss to the Gators.

North Carolina vs. Virginia = But this one could be a nail-biter. The Heels need it to stay in a tie with Duke (assuming they outlast the Hokies, which I expect) for 1st place, and for their hopes to remain one of those teams juuuuust outside a #1-seed who hopes to maybe steal it late. The Cavs have no such ambitions, but would like to top off their outstanding season with a huge victory in front of their home crowd. As much as I hate to say it, this could go either way . . . unless my Heels finally put all their pieces together.

Missouri vs. Kansas = Not only is this one huge for both teams in conference play, it is huge in the national picture. Here are two other teams eyeing a #1-seed, and the loser of this one may lose their chance at it. I figure the Jayhawks can defend homecourt in Allen Fieldhouse, but you never know.

Memphis vs. Marshall = Though without the potential national implications of the games immediately above, these are two good teams with post-season hopes themselves. It ought to be a lot of fun.

Belmont vs. Mercer = As should this one.

Rutgers vs. Seton Hall = The Pirates seem to think they are safely OFF the bubble, but their 19-9 and 8-8 mark doesn't ice it in my book, even with the few good wins they've posted. Just as I feel the ACC and Pac-12 get too little respect these days, I feel the Big Mouth gets much too much. For over a decade now we've seen them get twice as many bids as other big conferences, and we've also seen the vast majority of those at-large picks crash and burn before the NCAAs were half-done, and often falling to teams whose conferences were dissed by the Selection Committee. But enough from my soapbox. For the Hall, they can't afford to stumble too often down the stretch, regardless of what they think. Considering how in-state rivals fight each other, here one they should not be looking past.

George Mason vs. VCU = These two are tied for 2nd in the CAC at 14-3, one back of Drexel at 15-2. Those Dragons travel to ODU, who maybe can beat them, which would put the winner of this one into a tie for the league. And with the Big Mouth getting twenty or so at-large, it's questionable how many will be left for guys in the Colonial. And who cares that BOTH these teams HAVE made Final Fours, which is something a ton of those over-hyped Big Mouth teams managed to do! Ohhh, I'm back on that soapbox again, ain't I. Well, suffice it to say that this is a big game in a smaller conference.

Purdue vs Michigan = And so's this. The Wolverines have likely done enough to earn a Dance, but the Boilermakers are decidedly bubbly still. A win here may push them over that hump, and I can see them doing it too. As I've said before, I can't see how the Logans can keep winning, since they CANNOT SCORE THE BALL.

Mississippi State vs. Alabama = And I see these two as being bubble-boys too. Respectively, they are 19-9, 6-7 and 18-9, 7-6. Tell me how that's any more or less impressive than NCSU's record noted above, will ya? This game could go either way, and could make and break both teams.

Temple vs. St. Joseph's = The Owls may be safe out of the A-10, but the Hawks sure could use a big win over them. Their 18-11 and 8-6 record won't get them anything but a pat on the back for having a much better season than was last year's disaster. Plucking the Owls, however, will at least get people's attention.

Penn vs. Harvard = With the Quakers at 8-2 and the Crimson 10-1, this could decided the Ivy's sole bid today. OK, so maybe either one would be a "one-and-done" anyway, but that won't detract from the honor, the fun, and the money they so badly need . . . especially Haa'vaad, with their tiny endowment and their huge athletic scholarship budget.

Washington vs. Washington State = I don't expect the Huskies to blow their share of the Pac-12 here. At least, they'd better hope not. Everyone seems to feel bids will be few and far between out there, and a few late stumbles may cost dearly.

Nebraska vs. Michigan State = Nor would I expect the 'Huskers to visit the Spartans and pull off the upset. MSU is another of those teams thinking maybe they can swipe a #1-seed from mebbe a Mizzou or Kansas, so you'd figure Izzo would not let them fall asleep.

Murray State vs. Tennessee Tech = This could be a tough matchup for Joe's Racers, though I'm not sure if the game itself will mean anything. The Racers can win it big, yet STILL not receive a possible at-large, whether they've earned it or not. And they can LOSE it big, and lose a few spots in the rankings, yet not lose anything else that they maybe don't even have to begin with. Yeah, that's kind of confusing, but I figure Joe understands what I mean. No matter. The game itself could be a good one.

Syracuse vs. U. Conn = For different reasons, this game may mean nothing to the Orange either. They could lose this game, and maybe one more in the Big East tourney, and likely still retain a #1-seed. But for the Huskies, they could salvage a lot of pride from a season that suddenly went to $#!+ on them with a victory here. And despite my lack of faith in U Conn's team, I'll even give them half-a-shot at it.

Colorado State vs. San Diego State = With all due respect to Larry's Aztecs, an old fart like me can't help but wonder how a team tied for 2nd in the Mountain West with a 7-4 conference record can still be ranked amongst the Top 25 in the nation. Oh well, it really doesn't matter, as it's only bragging rights anyway. As for the game, with their opponent having a pretty decent team, and with the struggles SDSU has had lately, I could see another shocking home loss here. I'm not predicting one, but I can see it happening.

St. Mary's vs. San Francisco = This is the last game of the regular season for the Gaels and Dons, with those Gaels in 1st place in the WCC at 13-2, just ahead of Gonzaga's 12-3. Guess I don't need point out that, can St. Mary's win on the road tonight, it will not matter what those Bulldogs do. I've said before I like the Gaels, yet I'm not going to give them this one. They'll have to earn it, as those Dons can be awfully tough themselves.

Here's some early finals for you:

Duke 70 - Virginia Tech 65 (OT) = Well, Joe didn't exactly call it, but he came damned close. As much trouble as I've had figuring out my Tar Heels this year, I've had even more trying to figure out these Blue Devils. Just look at their season, why don't you? A call or two here and there, a bucket or a miss now and then, and they are fighting to stay above .500! OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

Kentucky 83 - Vanderbilt 74 = Just too much Cat for the Comms in the end, as it's been for so many others so far this year.

St. John's 61 - Notre Dame 58 = The Irish just could not ever seem to get the shot or the stop it needed, and the Red Storm surprises me, and maybe even themselves, by winning a big one in the Garden. It hurts ND a bit, yet won't help the Johnnies with anything beyond pride.

Lunchtime. Back later, brothers.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #267
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I should have a few more early finals by the time I finish this my Sunday preview:

Cincinnati vs. South Florida = Though you can consider these two also-rans in the Big East, they are both capable teams, and ought to give us a really decent contest here. I sorta kinda like the Bulls, but I can't pick either one for you.

Indiana vs. Minnesota = After a hot start, then a few trip-ups, the Hoosiers seemto have found their way again. Yet the Gophers ain't no pushovers, so I'm hoping for another nice game here. I'd favor IU by a bucket or three, but it wouldn't shock me were I wrong.

Pitt vs. Louisville = Yet despite all the gawd-awful games the Cardinals have played this year, I would be shocked if the Panthers could finally win a big game.

Wisconsin vs. Ohio State = The Buckeyes have had a couple of putrid shooting nights lately, and when you consider that a low-scoring affair is right up the Badgers' alley, this one may just be their shot to knock OSU down another notch. I'd not expect anybody to win by more than two possessions here, which means you can flip a coin.

California vs. Colorado = The Golden Bears want to hold onto their 1st place tie in the Pac-12, and thus pretty much assure at least an at-large. But I don't think the Buffaloes are going to roll over in Boulder, so this could also be another tight one.

Florida State vs. Miami = Duke just gave the Seminoles a loss to drop them out of that 3-way atop the ACC. And the 'Canes are the ones who knocked off those Blue Devils in Cameron to keep them OUT of the outright lead. So despite the greater respect given FSU, and the fact the "experts" say Miami's now on the backside of the bubble, I figure on an in-state war here. Hey, a 'Cane win might just toss them across that bubble, and you've got to think they feel that way also, right?

Iowa vs. Illinois = I'm not sure if either of these two will get a ticket to The Dance, but the one who loses this game would be foolish to book any flights, that's for sure. Again, you have to believe they both know this, and will be focused for this one.

Oregon vs. Oregon State = As it is Pac-12 we're talking here, the Ducks may be out of luck for an at-large anyway, despite their great season. Once again, although a win might not help them all that much, a loss would hurt them badly. Their in-state rival would love to play the spoiler here, so again again we may have a good one.

Akron vs. Ohio = The Zips and the Bobcats may be the 2 best teams in the Mid-American, and it's entirely possible that neither one will make it to the NCAAs. Those at-large bids are scarce in leagues like this one. So a win or a loss may mean nothing in that regard, as it shall come down to the automatic in the conference tournament. Regardless, this should be one hell of a fight.

I have only two more meaningful finals for you so far:

Iowa State 65 - Kansas State 61 = The Prairie 'Cats go get that big win at Mizzou, then come home and are unable to defend their own court against Iowa State. I had that kinda sorta feeling about this one, which is why I told you to flip a coin on it.

Baylor 70 - Oklahoma 60 = Not a good win for the Bears over a .500 Sooner Squad, but it beats a terrible loss . . . which is the way it was headed for much of the game.

Georgetown is running away from 'Nova, Arizona's trying to edge away from UCLA late, and NC State just got the 1-point lead from Clemson with 5 minutes left. You may see me a little later, and you may not. Either way, enjoy.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #268
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Wow, lots of close games in the Top 30 today. Only caught glimpses, as I'm in the middle of tearing a barn down (could use Davis' reach ).

Yeah, Vandy has played the Cats close both times, and Davis gave the Cats a spark today.

dook kills my projection, but they had to sweat it. UNC also had a close one, what, 4 points I think. NC State takes ANOTHER loss today...geez!

I really thought KU was toast today, but Mizzou could not close, and they'd better learn to fast! KSU...pitiful, to come home after that last win, and let a team stomp your butt like that.

'Bama beats Mississippi State badly, after a awful opening and exciting H1 close.

Georgetown lets one go, another pitiful loss. Definitely the Big Least Conference this season, though there's not much to brag on with the SEC this season either, as Florida got absolutely hammered by a bad Georgia team today.

Well, Murray State vs Tennessee Tech about to start.

GO RACERS!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #269
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

Go Jayhawks! Down by 12 at half, down by 19 in the second, sent it to OT, won 87-86.
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #270
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Alright! Racers win and finish up their regular season at 28-1 and undefeated on the road, maybe the first time ever for them. Best regular season ever, also. Probably the 2nd toughest OVC game this season, as Tech had them good for most of this game, and they had to dig in hard to come back and hold the lead. Really great season, and hopefully a LOT more to go. Can't wait to get to Nashville Friday for their first OVC tourney game.

'Cuse wins TIGHT one. UCONN almost did it.

UL has let Pitt almost even the score at the end of H1 today. Oh, and got the Georgetown score wrong, sorry Hoyas! I had the Notre Dame loss on my mind. IU has taken Tubby's Minnesota team already today.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #271
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

As Joe said above, a lot of close ones this weekend, and even a fair number of upsets too. And as Michael said, the Jayhawks knocked Mizzou down another peg in what may well be the last game in a storied rivalry that's over a century old. I'll address it more below.

So, aside from those close ones and upsets already noted Saturday afternoon (Dook, UK, SJU, Iowa St., Baylor) we had these I've cherry-picked for one reason or another:

Clemson 72 - N. C. State 69 (OT) = Two weeks ago Jerry's Wolfpack was primed to grab an at-large bid to The Dance. Maybe 3 straight losses to Duke, FSU, and UNC did not totally kill their chances, but this one maybe did. Their only chance now is a run to, at least, the finals of the ACC tourney, and that might even be one win too few. You can't stick a fork in them yet, but you might as well pick it up.

North Carolina 54 - Virginia 51 = Ugly, ugly, ugly win for the Heels, though better than an ugly loss. Neither team could shoot worth a damn from the field, with both having long droughts without a hoop. UNC at least could hit from the stripe, and won it on FTs., and so keep pace with Dook atop the ACC race.

Kansas 87 - Missouri 86 (OT) = I'm a little surprised the Jayhawks had so much trouble defending home court, considering their record in Allen Fieldhouse. But like my Heels above, a win's a win. This one may have gotten KU a #1-seed (and may not have, if they stumble once or twice down the stretch), but this 2nd loss in a row for the Tigers almost certainly cost them one. Hey, didn't I tell you so beforehand?

Texas 71 - Texas Tech 67 (OT) = Not all that important a game overall, though it does keep the 'Horns alive for a possible at-large . . . for now. But such a strugge against a crappy TT team, even in Lubbock, does not bode well for that potential future.

Georgia 76 - Florida 62 = But as poor as that performance was in Lubbock, this one in Athens was much worse. What in the hell is up with the Gators? There is no reason whatsoever for them to let the Bulldogs spank them like this.

Rutgers 77 - Seton Hall 72 (OT) = Though not quite as damning as that NCSU loss to Clemson, this one certainly has put the Pirates back in the bubble discussion.

Alabama 67 - Mississippi State 50 = As for these Bulldogs from the Delta, what has happened to them? OK, so the Tide has a decent team, but Miss. State was ranked for half the season, then pulled an "Illini" and just collapsed. This was their 5th loss in a row, putting them squarly into that bubble discussion.

VCU 89 - George Mason 77 = This win gives the Rams 2nd place in the CAC, with the Drexel Dragons taking the honors. With the automatic bid still to be determined in league tourney play, it will remain a question how many of these very good teams will get a chance to Dance.

Purdue 75 - MIchigan 61 = Though it may be too little too late, the Boilermakers continue to improve. As for the Wolverines, it's just a case of too little, as in scoring . . . which they've had upteen times now.

Penn 55 - Harvard 54 = The Quakers did what they had to do to give them a chance to do what Princeton did to Harvard last year . . . take the single NCAA bid for the Ivy away from the Crimson after they felt it was theirs all season long. Their 9-2 mark is still 1/2 back of Haa'vaad's 10-2, and their schedule is against them too (Brown, Yale, then @ Princeton vs. @ Columbia and Cornell), but we could see that 1-game-for-all-the-marbles game again this March.

St. Joseph's 82 - Temple 72 = Did this one by the Hawks over the Owls get St. Joe's into Dance mode? Well, it all depends on how deep into the A10 the Committee decides to dip. Me, I'd sooner see them get an extra bid or three than see them all go to Big Mouth teams that are sub.-500 in league play.

TCU 83 - New Mexico 64 = A week or so back the Lobos had a secure 2-game lead in the Mountain West race. Two Ls in a row, and they are now in a 3-way with UNLV and Larry's Aztecs. As that Committee likely will not (and probably should not) go any deeper in the MW as in the aforementioned A10, this could get real interesting . . . and maybe a little baitchy to boot.

Washington 59 - Washington State 55 = If the Huskies are as good as they seem to think, this one should never have been so tight. Still, they did do what they had to, and following a result which will appear below, they now hold a 1/2-game lead in the Pac-12 . . . for what that's worth.

Syracuse 71 - U Conn 69 = The Orange could have almost certainly lost this game and still not lost their #1-seed, and the Huskies could have won it and still not insured themselves an at-large bid. So in that regard the game was not important. But considering how many problems U Conn has had, and how much crowing has been coming out of the 'Cuse fandom, this result may at least may explain why I won't be putting Syracuse in MY Final Four bracket.

Nevada 79 - Fresno St. 76 (3OT) = It doesn't matter if this game matters or not. Any time two teams give you a fight like this, they deserve some props.

Sunday we saw:

South Florida 46 - Cincinnati 45 = When you consider the kind of season the Bearcats have had, it's far from certain this is a good enough win to help the Bulls get an at-large. But if Cincy gets one and they do not, I'd be a little cheesed . . . if I really cared, that is.

Louisville 57 - Pitt 54 = And even if the Panthers had managed to get over the hump late at take this one in the Bucket, it wouldn't have helped their post-season in the least. But it does maybe give all those rabid Big East fans out there some more evidence as to why MY opinion of their league is NOT on as elevated a level as too many claim.

Wisconsin 63 - Ohio State 60 = A great road win for the Badgers, and another somewhat surprising home loss by the Buckeyes. Me, I would have penciled them in as a #1-seed before the season started, but now it seems a #2 is slipping away. Yeah, sure, you could say much the same about my Heels, but they at least have kept themselves in the hunt late.

Colorado 70 - California 57 = Once again Rocky Mountain Fever strikes a visiting team, and this time it put the Golden Bears that 1/2-game back of Washington as referenced above. Here is another good win for the Buffs.

Miami 78 - Florida State 62 = And not only is this the Seminoles's 2nd loss in a row, thus putting them out of the ACC race for first (hey, the math means they can't win now, no matter what), but this win by the Hurricanes gives them TWO signature wins. Remember, they beat Duke in Cameron too. How in the world could the Selection Committe deny them an at-large now? Well, they still might, but it would not be right of them.

There's next to no action tonight, save for:

Notre Dame vs. Georgetown = These are two of the better teams in the Big East, and both are somewhat surprisingly so. I feel they both are safely Dancing, but another win or two is always better than another loss or three. I'm hoping for a good one here.

Kansas vs. Oklahoma State = I would not expect the Jayhawks to p!$$ away their season in Stillwater tonight, as the Cowboys are not all that good. But you never know, as after that Border War with Mizzou their chalk may be a bit rocky. I'd not bet on that, yet keep an eye on the score for a while anyway.

Texas Tech vs. Baylor = And the Bears have already had about as much of a collapse as I figured they'd have, so I'd expect them to defend the court in Waco against TT tonight. Hey, the putrid Red Raiders have lost something like 15 of 16 now. So me, I wouldn't even bother with this one.

Gonzaga vs. Longwood = Nor would I bother with this one either. In fact, I can't even figure out why Gonzaga would bother with this one. What idiot scheduled the last regular-season game of the year against a garbage Independent team like the Longwood Lancers anyway? WTF???

That's all for me today. Back tomorrow with more of my crap. Until later then, enjoy.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #272
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

The Mountain West is rough with all the altitude games and travel. A lot of good teams, I did sweat out the OT game but they came through against Colorado State. 3 way tie for first in MWC. I would have said SDSU had the advantage but now they have to go to TCU after they beat New Mexico.
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #273
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

The Hoyas defense was terrific last night. ND's Cooley was a non-factor in the game, after being the "go to" guy over the last 5 or 6 games.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #274
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Beerman View Post
The Mountain West is rough with all the altitude games and travel. A lot of good teams, I did sweat out the OT game but they came through against Colorado State. 3 way tie for first in MWC. I would have said SDSU had the advantage but now they have to go to TCU after they beat New Mexico.
I'm close to becoming convinced the Mountain West is the cross-continent equivalent of the Atlantic 10, meaning it's a "Four A" league . . . better than Triple A, but not quite in The Majors yet. However, I am NOT YET convinced they deserve as many, or even more, bids than does their neighbors the Pac-12. I'm not saying the MW gets too much respect, but the performance of Pac-10 teams in last year's NCAAs, after the "experts" complained they got too many bids, should have shown people they are not as bad as the popular perception has become. Again, to make a similar transcontinental comparison, I feel the ACC has suffered nearly as badly from certain erroneous perceptions.

But aside from all that, I confess I do enjoy a nice tight conference race, with teams fighting for the crown down to the last second, as opposed to those that are over by Valentine's Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
The Hoyas defense was terrific last night. ND's Cooley was a non-factor in the game, after being the "go to" guy over the last 5 or 6 games.
Georgetown's past success was always built upon their D, which is a good thing . . . not only because defense wins you games, but because they have been notoriously poor offensively. Hell, people always joke how the only man who held Michael Jordan below 20 points was Dean Smith, yet NOBODY'S ever complained that John Thompson was the man who kept Patrick Ewing from becoming the Wilt Chamberlain of his day.

, but them's the facts, Jacks.

Update soon.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #275
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The only score from last night I found to be of even the slightest interest was the one already noted by Kevin above:

Georgetown 59 - Notre Dame 41 = I don't know what else to say about this one that's not been said prior to now, so I'll just add it's a good win for the Hoyas as they prep for their post-season . . . and maybe even a good lesson for the Irish too.

There isn't a ton of games this evening, but it is remarkable how many of them hold some significance:

Kansas State vs. Texas A&M = I would think the K-State 'Cats have enough good wins to grab an at-large, and a win against the disappointing Aggies would not be another one, even in College Station. Still, a win's a win, so pad your resume when you get a chance. I'd expect they'd do so, since A&M hasn't shown up all year.

Michigan State vs. Indiana = And both of these have locked up bids regardless of what transpires, but if the Spartans want a shot at stealing a #1-seed they cannot lose this one. Me, I think they are the better team, but I also think the Hoosiers will be damn tough in Bloomington. If MSU loses, I'd not call it an upset.

Wright State vs. Butler = At 18-13 and 11-7 (3rd in the Horizon) the Butler Bulldogs are on the outside looking in. Their only chance of getting a bid at this point is by winning the conference tourney, which begins against the Raiders tonight. They ought to be able to survive this test, but for how long will they survive? Access your inner sailor, and keep an eye on the Horizon.

U. Conn vs. Providence = And speaking of last year's championship game, what are the Huskies' chances of missing The Dance too? At 17-11 and 7-9, they are pretty much in the same boat they were last year too, when Kemba Walker saved their season beginning in the Big East tourney with his remarkable feats. One thing I do know is that he won't be doing that this year. Another is that the Friars can poke another hole in U Conn's bobble by taking this one in RI this evening. This team is not as bad as their record, and with the Huskies' struggles on the road I could see another loss in their immediate future. I would not put any money on it, but it would not shock me either.

Mississippi vs. Arkansas = The 'Hogs are another bubbly team, with their 18-11 and 6-8 marks. A win over the Rebels won't add much to their shot, but a loss may be the coup-de-gras.

DePaul vs. West Virginia = It's the same for the Mountaineers too, with their 17-12 and 7-9 record. Though the win won't put them over any bubble, a loss might put them behind it.

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin = The Badgers are safe, and the Gophers are safely dead. Still, you know pride in the interstate rivalry is at stake, and I'm hoping it will be a good one. Aside from that, the Badgers still have an outside shot of moving up to a #2-seed, and an easier shot of moving to a #4. That should focus them, one would think.

Florida vs. Vanderbilt = Me, I figure both these teams are safely in possession of at-large bids already, but aside from that I figure nothing. Shoot, if you can figure out either one of these squads, I wish you'd tell me. My head tells me to favor the Gators on the road against the Comms, but if they can't beat Georgia in Athens what makes me think they can beat Vandy in Nashville? It ought to be fun, in any case.

UCF vs. Memphis = I talked above about "Four A" leagues, and one must consider the CUSA amongst these. The Tigers can clinch at least a tie for 1st place with a victory tonight, but the Knights are no pushovers. This one may go down to the wire.

Weber State vs. Montana = The Wildcats and Grizzlies are tied at 14-1 for the Big Sky, and it all comes down to this one tonight. True, that league will get only the automatic from the tournament championship, so maybe the NCAA is not on the line here. Regardless, you KNOW they both want the victory, and I expect a war.

Xavier vs. Saint Louis = The Musketeers have pretty much recovered from the bad karma from their brawl with Cincy, yet they've only had time to make it up to 3rd in the Atlantic 10. Standing between them and 1st-place Temple are these Billikens. I feel that, were I on the Selection Committee, I would give them both strong consideration for at-large bids, but sad to say they ain't listening to me . . . I don't pay as well as do the Big East lobbyists. And because of that, this one is huge for both teams.

Duke vs. Wake Forest = Can I see Duke losing to the Deacs in Winston-Salem? No. Yes, stranger things have happened, but not only do I not expect it, I almost don't even want it to happen. See, with a Blue Devil win tonight against Wake (which is about as close to a given as one can get) and a win in Chapel Hill tomorrow by my Heels over the visiting Terps (a fair amount more difficult maybe, but certainly eminently doable), they will remain tied for 1st place in the ACC regular-season race, with only one game left to play . . . UNC at Duke, Saturday night. You telling me I'm the only one who wouldn't mind seeing that, again.

That's gonna do it for me tonight. See you tomorrow, fates willing. Until then, enjoy.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #276
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Well, I'm back, and with a few notable scores from last night:

Providence 72 - U Conn 70 = Maybe you thought I was nutz when I gave the Friars a shot at this win. Well, I am nutz, and won't deny it. But I ain't stupid. The Huskies are again, as last season, dead in the water. There will be no miracle finish for them this year, as things like that don't repeat themselves . . . unless you're the NY Giants.

Mississippi 77 - Arkansas 75 = And the Razorbacks may be sausage too, after this loss insures them of a losing record in the SEC.

Indiana 70 - Michigan State 55 = And though I did not actually call for this "upset", I did say it wouldn't be one to me if it occurred. Neither team gained nor lost their NCAA bid here, but the Spartans likely lost their shot at that (at present) fourth #1-seed . . . which is potential good news for . . .

Duke 79 - Wake Forest 71 = Though the win was no surprise, the margin likely did not please Coach K all that much. And it did give them the lead in the ACC, pending tonight's contest as noted below, and the inside track for that elusive #1-seed which is up for grabs . . . sort of, anyway.

Vanderbilt 77 - Florida 67 = The Comms get what may be their best win of the season, and the Gators take another loss. As I said with Hoosiers/Spartans, the effect on their at-large will be at best/worst the seeding, but it's got to give Vandy a bit of confidence.

Tonight's games, aside from some tournament action with importance for the Cinderella dreams of the little guys, will include these:

Penn State vs. Purdue = The late charge by the Boilermakers has probably secured them an at-large, and I'd not expect the Nittany Lions to derail them this evening.

Marquette vs. Cincinnati = But the Bearcats could derail the Golden Eagles, at least in their aspirations to attain a #1-seed. That seems a pipe dream to me, even if Michigan State's out of that race now, as Duke and UNC both stand in their way. In fact, if Cincy can win this one, their #2 may sink to a #3-seed. As this is more reasonable than the other scenario, I'm gonna call for it. The 'Cats, by a late bucket.

Maryland vs. North Carolina = However, for the Tar Heels to retain their OWN hopes, of an ACC regular-season title AND that potential #1-seed too, they have to take care of business at home against the Terps. Even if those turtles are still p!$$ed off at John Henson for dunking on them with one second left up in College Park, I'm not sure that anger would be enough to carry them to victory in Chapel Hill. What WOULD would be for the Heels to play another sub-par game, which they've been awfully awful about doing. As a Heel, I'm of course hoping for a UNC win. As a fan, I'm also hoping for one, as should you, as that will make the Duke/UNC finale on Saturday all that much more fun.

U Mass vs. Temple = The Owls were rolling along just fine, until that loss to St. Joe's. It did not surprise me that the Hawks won it, nor would it surprise me if the Minutemen also give Temple about all they can handle this evening. They may not win, but they will show up.

South Florida vs. Louisville = And if you don't think the Bulls will show up at the KFCrum Bucket tonight, you just haven't been paying much attention. Hey, they are presently 11-5 in Big East play, which by my math is better than the Cardinals' 10-6 mark. This ought to be a real fight.

Iowa State vs. Missouri = And this could be one also, believe it or not. The Cyclones (21-8, 11-5 Big "12") have a danged good team, so even in Columbia you gotta give them a chance at taking the Tigers. As for the Tigers, they maybe think they can regain that #1-seed they lost last week if they run the table, so you figure they'll be focused too. Those Tigers are WRONG to think that, as their RPI of 17 and SoS of (gulp!) 77 has already killed them in the eyes of the Selection Committee, but what is life without a little fantasy, right? Bottom line, this should be a fun matchup.

Mississippi State vs. South Carolina = I threw this one in because the Bulldogs have gone from a shoo-in to a shoo-ed away team, in a hurry. Five losses in a row has put them at 19-10 and 6-8, and made them extremely bubbly. The 'Cocks suck, so a win's not gonna help them much. However, a loss in Columbia (no, not that one above, the OTHER one ) may just puncture that bubble completely.

Ohio State vs. Northwestern = I figure the Buckeyes were celebrating last night when MSU lost to the Hoosiers, as it gave them a shot at getting back what probably should have been theirs all along . . . the Big Ten+ regular-season. I also figure the Smarty 'Cats will give them a tussle tonight, and may just smack them back to reality . . . said reality being the Buckeyes have not been playing as well as their talent ought to play. Yeah, I know . . . me, a Tar Heel, has no room to talk about that. Still, there it is. This could be one damned interesting game here.

Tennessee vs. LSU = So could this one. Hey, a month ago both these squads were dead in the water. Now, both have at least as good a chance of an at-large as do those Miss. State 'Dogs above, as both have better SEC records. Neither can clinch a bid with a win here, but one of them may lose one.

Oklahoma vs. Texas = And the only way the Sooners will get a bid is if they jump the gun and storm through the Big 12-2 tourney. But the Longhorns may have a chance at an at-large, despite their bad start. Yes, they are pretty bubbly, but closing out the season strong can help them eek in.

Miami vs. N. C. State = Talking of bubble-battles, here's a big one. The 'Canes (17-10, 8-6) and the 'Pack (18-11, 7-7) are both still in the mix, although Miami has the edge due to their 2 marquee wins, as opposed to State's zero. Those 'Canes have a better shot at losing a bid tonight than the 'Pack has of winning one, since Jerry's kids will need a good run in the ACC tourney, like maybe to the final with one of those signature wins thrown in. But you bet your bottom dollar they'll be rockin' in Raleigh tonight, knowing their seasons may hinge on the way they play over the next 10 days or so.

UNLV vs. Colorado State = Not only are the Rams able enough to give the Rebels a Run for their money, this again is another of those Rocky Mountain High games we've seen of late. Hey, if Air Force could beat the Larry's Aztecs in Colorado Springs, you better believe the Rams can beat UNLV in Fort Collins. Will this string of alpine upsets continue? Maybe, maybe not, but you gotta admit it is interesting.

That's it for me tonight. See you tomorrow, brothers, and until then . . . enjoy.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #277
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Scores from last night include some more of my sterling picks:

Cincinnati 72 - Marquette 61 = Well, I actually blew this one. I said the Bearcats would win on a late bucket, so unless it was a 12-pointer I wuz wrong. The Golden Eagles don't have a snowball's chance at a #1-seed now, and may end up on the 3-line.

Temple 90 - U Mass 88 (OT) = I said about the Minutemen, and I quote they would ". . . give Temple about all they can handle . . . . They may not win, but they will show up." How much closer do you want me to call them?

South Florida 58 - Louisville 51 = And the Bulls came through for me too, winning on the road against Pitino's Yo-Yos.

Purdue 80 - Penn State 56 = Though this likely did not make the 'Makers' grasp on an at-large any more secure, it helps more than a loss would have hurt.

North Carolina 88 - Maryland 64 = The only other blowout I'll report, not because it helped the Heels with a seat (much less seed) all that much, nor because it hurt the Terps, who were already roadkill, but solely because it sets up what we all want to see . . . UNC at Duke Saturday night for the ACC regular-season title.

Texas 72 - Oklahoma 64 = I'm not gonna guarantee the 'Horns have earned an at-large, much less that they deserve one, but this does keep their hopes moving in the right direction.

Tennessee 74 - LSU 69 (OT) = As does this for the Vols. Maybe both these UTs will need a win or three in conference tournament play to insure their Dance, but it don't hurt them none.

St. Bonaventure 98 - St. Joseph's 93 (2OT) = But this heartbreaker for the Hawks may have ended their aspirations for that potential at-large from the A-10. Yet these two certainly did give us a great show here.

Missouri 78 - Iowa State 72 = I did NOT call for the Cyclones to knock off the Tigers on their home court. I DID say it would be more of a fight than you might think, and by my lights it was precisely that.

Mississippi State 69 - South Carolina 67 (OT) = Hey, surprise surprise! The Bulldogs win a game . . . or was it the 'Cocks who lost another one? As I said yesterday, I'm not sure if this saves their season or not (not, in my book, but I don't get a vote), yet it did not doom it either.

Ohio State 75 - Northwestern 73 = And again, I did not actually call for the Smarty 'Cats to beat the Buckeyes, though I may have hinted strongly at that possibility. However, even if I had, I'd profess that a game which hinges on one bucket, one rebound, one turnover, one foul, one whatever is close enough for guv'mint work.

N. C. State 77 - Miami 73 = Can you count this as that one signature win Jerry's Wolfpack needed to get back into the "at-large" picture? Ehhhh, I'd say no, despite the fact that Miami had a few of their own. So figure NCSU still need to make an ACC tourney run to sneak over the bubble. Question is, did this pop said bubble for the Hurricanes? Me, I'll let you know in about 10 days.

Colorado State 66 - UNLV 59 = Another Rocky Mountain highlight film here, which is getting almost scary. The Runnin' Rebels were all over the Rams in the first half, scoring 41 points to their 26. But apparently they forgot to bring any O2 tanks into their visiting lockerroom, and they ran out of that gas in the 2nd stanza, scoring only 18 more and turning a rout into a riot.

Today's action includes a ton of action in small and mid-major tournaments, either continuing or beginning. This included leagues like the Big South, American East, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Atlantic Sun, and West Coast . . . damn few of which have any chance at all of anything more than the single automatic bid. So I'll hold off on these, despite the fact that many teams' hopes will be crushed today, and stick to games like:

Michigan vs. Illinois = At 17-12 and 6-10, the Illini are likely victims of their 2nd-half collapse, and should be NIT-bound shortly. Still, if the UTs and NCSUs of the world have some hope remaining, so should Illinois. A win over the Wolverines would help, even if it did not totally clinch an at-large, and as I've harped on long and often, the Logans can struggle to outscore their opponents. This is in Champaign, so you can't quite stick a fork in the Illini . . . yet.

Florida State vs. Virginia = Both these teams, now the "also-rans" in the ACC race, have bids safely in their hip pockets. All a win or a loss here will do is affect their seeding in both the league and NCAA tournaments, moving one up a line while sliding the other down. That's not a big deal, in my way of thinking, but sometimes every little bit helps.

Virginia Tech vs. Clemson = Why bother with this one? Well, all the experts seem to feel the ACC will get 4 bids to the NCAA, or maybe 5 if Miami or State get lucky. I say, "What about the Tigers?" They are 7-7 in conference play, with the 'Canes and 'Pack at 8-7, plus they have very good wins over Iowa, Florida State, Virginia, and NCSU too. How can people talk about sub.500 Big East or Big Ten teams, yet ignore this? Because their stupid, that's how.

Georgia vs. Kentucky = Yeah, the Bulldogs shocked me some when they beat the Gators in Athens, so most anything can happen. But skin the 'Cats, in Rupp? Sure. Don't get me wrong . . . I'd kinda like to see it, and it might even be good for UK to lose one before The Dance begins, just to get their attention. Yet if this one isn't over with 10 minutes left, I'd consider it a moral victory for the Peaches . . . who will be creamed.

Washington vs. USC = With a conference 13-3 mark, against California's 13-4, the Huskies have their fate in their own hands. Considering how bad the Trojans have leaked this year, I give them as much of a shot at home as I game Georgia on the road above. And if, as I expect, they get past USC in LA tonight, they can assure with their next game they'll take it all by taking care of . . .

Washington State vs. UCLA = . . . the Bruins, who may just get booed off their home-away-from-homecourt tonight, following stories about what stupid spoiled drunked doped-up bozos they have become under Ben Howland. Hell, I'm a continent away, and even with my aged ears I can hear John Wooden spinning in his grave. Neither a win nor a loss, by either team, will make any difference whatsoever in the conference or national picture, and I even doubt that a total stomping by UCLA of the Cougars can turn their agony into ecstasy. Rave on!

That's gonna be it for this evening. As always, I hope you . . . enjoy.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #278
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Let's see if I can knock this out before the next busload of idiots stomp in to flush their paychecks down the Lotto toilet. Last night:

Florida State 63 - Virginia 60 = The Cavs lose another heartbreaker on their home court, so they'd best be glad they already have their NCAA at-large locked up. Otherwise, they'd be facing a 1st round loss in the NIT as they hosted some nobody. The result will marginally affect the seeding of both teams, but at this point it ain't no biggie. Good win for the 'Noles, regardless.

Michigan 72 - Illinois 61 = I can't say this is a good win for the Logans, though they DID manage to break 70 points on the road. As for the Illini, their collapse continues, and this is their 10th loss in their last 12 games. When you notice they have only 13 total Ls, that collapse becomes even more shocking.

Clemson 58 - Virginia Tech 56 = Not a great win for the Tigers, as the Hokies have not been great this year, but it does at least give Clemson one more reason to complain and whine when they don't get an at-large bid next weekend.

Washington 80 - USC 58 = No big surprise here, but it is notable in that the Huskies are now asssurred of at least a tie for the Pac-12 regular-season title.

Today there's already action in small and mid-level conference tournaments, including the start in the Colonial, Southern, and Metro Atlantic. But here's the more significant games, as I see it anyway:

Harvard vs. Columbia = In the Ivy, where there is no tourney, the Crimson have a 1/2-game lead over Penn and a game over Yale for the one and only bid that league will receive. The Lions are not as good, but I think they can at least scare the boys from Boston up in West Harlem tonight. Hey, were you a boy from Boston, wouldn't West Harlem scare you too?

Brown vs. Penn = But I can't give Brown any chance at all against the Quakers down in Philly. So a loss above and a win here would reverse that 1/2-game edge. And to make things even more interesting . . .

Yale vs. Princeton = The Tigers can be awfully hard to beat in Jadwin, but if the Eli can manage to do so, and they are likely favored by a bucket or two, they will remain in touch themselves. In fact, if BOTH those previous games end in "upsets", we'd have a 3-way tie, at least in the loss column. Wouldn't that be fun?

Tennessee Tech vs. Murray State = Joe's Racers need to win the OVC tourney, for even their great season does not assure them of a bid if they fail. Fair or not, there it is. This won't be an easy task, as everyone they play will be gunning for them. TT is a pretty good team too, so I'd figure Joe will gnaw a few fingernails before this night is done. And if the Racers survive this one, they will turn around and face the winner of . . .

Morehead State vs. Tennessee State = . . . two MORE pretty good teams in the OVC, and it includes the one team that has already beaten them once, which gave them their 1st and (so far) only loss. Oh, and did I mention that these games are in Nashville, not in the Bluegrass State somewhere? Better take a chill pill or three, Brother Joe.

Providence vs. Notre Dame = Going by the book, you'd have to say the Irish should be able to handle the Friars in South Bend. But for some damn reason I just got that itchy feeling again, so keep your eye on this one.

Drake vs. Creighton = And the same might be said of the Bulldogs' chances against the Bluejays, but once more my nose just started twitchin' when I saw this one. Yet maybe that's because I wonder why Drake is another of a countless pack of bulldogs instead of, say, a duck or a mallard . . . or a scrooge.

Butler vs. Wisc. Milwaukee = Speaking of Bulldogs, Butler beat a crappy Wright State team last night to survive the 1st round in the Horizon, but will face a much tougher opponent in the Panthers this evening. If Butler loses, or if Butler does not continue to win right through the Horizon championship game, they will NOT be the national runner-up for a third year in a row . . . unless maybe if they lose in the championship game of the NIT . And with those OTHER dogs, the U Conn Huskies, being eminently bubbly at this point, we could easily see an NCAA without either one of them present. Brad Stevens should have his guys focused . . . yet I expect Jim Calhoun's pain meds has him out-of-focus.

That's all for now. If I feel froggy I may jump on some early games tomorrow, although many of the match-ups in conference tournaments are, quite naturally, pending today's results. In any case, enjoy.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #279
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I'm getting a late start today, plus I have some work I'm supposed to do, so lemme knock this out ASAP. Last night:

Princeton 64 - Yale 57 = I put this first because it knocks the Eli out of the Ivy race, as the Tigers play spoilers to deny Yale a shot at the league and the automatic bid. They will both get a chance to be spoilers again, considering . . .

Penn 54 - Brown 43 = . . . that the Quakers remain a 1/2-game back, and face a tough road to tie the Crimson for the Ivy with their final two games being against Yale and Princeton. Meanwhile . . .

Harvard 77 - Columbia 70 (OT) = . . . the Crimson could have used Jeremy Lin on the court, instead of in the stands, last night. Yet they did manage to pull it out in OT to hold onto their slim conference lead, and with only crappy Cornell standing in the way they seem assurred of at least getting a tie for the Ivy crown. This would mean they'd have another one-game playoff, which would also be a play-in to their first NCAA invite since Ted Williams was the man in Baa'sten.

Murray State 78 - Tennessee Tech 58 = Joe's Racers not only did what they needed to do in the semis of the OVC, they sent a message that they are ready for today's final against . . .

Tennessee State 59 - Morehead State 52 = . . . the Tigers, who are the only team to beat the Racers so far this year. As it is highly likely that the OVC will receive only one bid to The Dance (be that fair or not to Murray State), this one in Nashville will be huge, and should be fun.

Butler 71 - Wisc. Milw. 49 = Much like those Racers, the Bulldogs sent the message that they are not dead yet. It remains to be seen, however, if they are terminal and on life-support, with a DNR awaiting any setback.

Today's early action is well under way already, mainly in smaller conference tourneys, with the only surprises being that VMI is hanging tough with a superior UNC-Asheville team in the Big South. Other early games of import include:

West Virginia vs. South Florida = This is in the 2nd half, and is presently a 2-point Bull lead. Both these teams are fairly bubbly, so they both want it. I figure it will stay close.

Nebraska vs. Wisconsin = And if the Golden Gophers want to remain bubbly themselves, they have to beat the poor 'Huskers. They are up 8 at the break.

Georgetown vs. Marquette = There is nothing bubbly about either of these teams, but it should be a damn good game.

Tennessee State vs. Murray State = The great season of the Racers all comes down to what transpires in Nashville between 2 and 4 PM today. Do you think Joe will be watching this?

Washington vs. UCLA = A win here and the Huskies will take the Pac-12 regular season title. When one considers how few bids that league may get, this becomes even bigger than that. Although the Bruins did manage to play well despite the off-court turmoil out there, I would be surprised if they can win this homeless home game and regain a bit of pride.

Southern Miss vs. Marshall = The CUSA may get as many bids as will that aforementioned Pac-12, and you'd think that the Golden Eagles would be safe, at 2nd in the league behind Memphis. As for the Thundering Herd, they'll need to take the conference tourney to get a Dance in, so they can consider this as a tough scrimmage to prepare. The Eagles can use another insurance win, but the looser Herd may jsut give them more game than they'd prefer.

Boston College vs. Miami = Back to bubbles now, for the Hurricanes are certainly so. A win over the low-flying Eagles won't help their case much, but a loss would all but kill it. The 'Canes need to win this, and maybe a game or two in the ACC tourney too. That can start today, but it could also end.

Illinois State vs. Wichita State = The Shockers are a better team than the Redbirds, but they are not all that much better. For some reason I can see Ill. State knocking the boys from Wichita out of the MVC tourney this afternoon. It won't prevent the Shockers from getting an at-large, but if the 'Birds gain the automatic it WILL take an at-large from someone else. This stuff happens every year, so don't be shocked if it happens this one too.

That takes care of the early action. Lemme do a few tasks now before I get back to later games, including the marquee matchup we all know is coming. Later.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #280
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

A few early finals:

N. C. Asheville 80 - VMI 64 = UNC-A takes the Big South and punches a ticket to The Dance.

U Conn 74 - Pitt 65 = But if the Husky fans think a win over the aptly-named Pitts gets them to dancing, I fear they yet may have some work to do. Shoot, just about anybody could beat the Panthers this year.

West Virginia 50 - South Florida 44 = This might have gotten the Mountaineers in, and may have made the Bulls a little nervous.

With 5 minutes left, Joe's Racers are down 7 and in serious trouble, at risk of blowing their whole season. There's still time, but they'd best get to it, now.

Other action today, which is too vast to properly cover, includes:

Louisville vs. Syracuse = The way the Cardinals have played at times, it's hard to give them a shot at deflating the Orange in the Dome. Yeah, they could, but you better not bet on it.

Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee = The Vols likely need this to stay on the right side of the bubble. Vandy should be the better team, yet has not played like it too often. This could be interesting.

Alabama vs. Mississippi = The Tide may be safe, and may not, but Ole Miss definitely needs another win or two.

Arkansas vs. Mississippi State = I'm not sure either one of these can save their season at this point, but today would be a good start at a good finish.

Baylor vs. Iowa State = Hey, I can see the Bears losing another one, and dropping another line in the NCAAs, with Iowa State moving up . . . or even in altogether.

San Diego State vs. TCU = The Aztecs may be safe, but better safer than sorrier. TCU ain't bad, and can win this game. That might not help them, but it will hurt Larry's boys.

Harvard vs. Cornell = If the Crimson does not win this game, they don't deserve to win the Ivy.

Yale vs. Penn = This is the first of 2 "must" wins for the Quakers, to keep pace with Harvard.

North Carolina vs. Duke = Do I really have to say any more? Tied 13-2 in ACC play, this one's for the regular-season, top seed in the ACC tourney, and maybe even a top seed in the NCAAs. They don't get much bigger.

Butler vs. Valparaiso = I can see the Bulldogs' run ending this evening. Yeah, they are capable of beating Valpo, but the "do-or-die" pressure has got to be getting to them.

Texas vs. Kansas = The 'Horns have made a late charge for an at-large, and would get a firmer grasp on one with the upset here. I can't see it happening, but the Jayhawks do have flaws, so it could happen.

San Francisco vs. St. Mary's = The WCC won't get much at-large consideration, so this match-up in the tourney could be the whole season. The Dons and Gaels are both good teams, so this could go either way, as could . . .

BYU vs. Gonzaga = . . . which is the back-half of this WCC tourney battle. Put all 4 teams in a box, shake well, and pick one.

Wyoming vs. UNLV = The Rebels will get a chance to run in the NCAAs. But will the Cowboys? Not if they lose this one in the desert.

Just FYI, Jerry's probably breathing again. His Murray State Racers made a late run to edge Tenn. State 54-52 and win the OVC title, and so he's now Dancing around the room.

A few Sunday games shortly, if I don't get interrupeted too much.