Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Montecristo white label rothschilde

This 5 x 52 Rothschild comes in a cellophane wrapper and once released I see a nice looking cigar with a light but smooth wrapper which doesn’t contain a lot of veins. Due to the color of the wrapper I think it’s a shade grown wrapper. The aroma is peppery with some wood and hints of a barnyard. The cigar feels well constructed although the fire side is a bit softer than the rest of the cigar. The predraw is on the easy side and leaves me with a light flavor of raisin on the lips.

I could taste some cedar wood, not bad but I had better. My mouth goes dry due to the texture of the smoke. After an inch the texture becomes a bit buttery but flavorwise it’s still the same cedar, although the flavor becomes a bit more appealing to me after 1/3rd. The flavor doesn’t change at all, until I get close to the turning point, where I discovered some nut flavors.

The amount of smoke is on the low side, but because of the firm ashes the smoke & ash still gets a 7 out of 10. The draw is on the light side of ok and the burn is fine. Medium to mild bodied, mild flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, I don’t care much for this cigar.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Aroma (first part) 6 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 6 / 10
Aroma (last part) 6 / 10
Old 04-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Montecristo white label rothschilde

And then you really have to ask yourself are they really worth the $202 per box of 27 price?

Thanks for the review and photos on this cigar Ferdinand
Old 04-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
And then you really have to ask yourself are they really worth the $202 per box of 27 price?
in my opinion? No, they aren't even worth half that price. You can get the real deal for $202 a box at the well known online suppliers.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
SmoknTaz
Hiding my Visa bill

First Name: Ken
Trading: (6)
Partagas
SmoknTaz is on a distinguished road

I actually enjoyed the first one that I had. Buttery smooth and mild, maybe that's why. But I would have to agree that it's over priced. Thanks for the review.

Marriage is not a word. It is a sentence. (A life sentence!)
SmoknTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
You can get the real deal for $202 a box at the well known online suppliers.
I hear you there Ferdinand
Old 04-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

I'm a fan of these, myself.

Surprised you rated it with 7's, an 8, and nothing below a 6. Thanks for the descriptive review. You were spot on with the flavor profile.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
BillyCigars

Good review!

I actually like these a great deal myself.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #8
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post

Surprised you rated it with 7's, an 8, and nothing below a 6. Thanks for the descriptive review. You were spot on with the flavor profile.
the draw, construction, appearance are all 7 & 8's because there is nothing wrong with that. The flavor, which is more important to me, is all 6'es, and that is below average.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I really like these as a lighter smoke...a creamy nutty ultra smooth cigar that I have never had an issue with...they are overpriced...try the platinums for a fuller bodied smoke...really love those.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review, Ferdinand. Have some of these in my humi but haven't smoked them yet.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

smoking one right now from a recent bomb.
So far your review is spot on. From the dry smoke to the buttery aspects after an inch. I checked the online price of these before I light this up and was suprised at the cost. I also thought wow for that I would likely grab 2 boxes of monte#4.

The construction and burn are 9s for me. Almost perfect, the stick is requiring zero maintence. My issue like yours is flavor is my major factor and it is just above average for me. Holding my intrest just enough to keep me smoking it. I am guessing without the Nicaraguan long filler mixed with the Dominican I would have been bored and just grabbed a spare JLP. This stick reminds me of a Pepin blend but mellowed out to appeal to smokers who dont like the pepper bombs.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Well now I dont know. The second half of this cigar the flavors picked up and I got a lot more pepper and coffee. Glad I stuck it out. I actually enjoyed the ending. Not 200 a box for me, but I wouldnt pass it up if someone handed me one.
Would still grab a monte 4 box or two over this, but not a bad 45 to 50 min.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
bookman

Great review. love the pics. I like the milds, but don't pay more than $4 a stick. I love the mont trademark "bite".
Old 04-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Nice revew. I used to love these, but my tastes have moved on to bigger and better things... luckily less expensive Montes
Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Good review..although I tend to like the whites quite a bit