Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #41
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Storage Upgrade Suggestions?

Fish tank silicone would be the best as far as outgassing, it is pretty pure, fish are sensitive.
Any pet store. Wait 3-4 days before re-introduction.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #42
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Just to clarify, Permatex is just a brand name, just happens to be what most auto parts stores here sell. Any quality clear or black slicone should be fine.
I figured it was a brand name. I'll check Advanced Auto Parts or Home Depot, whichever I get to first. Clear silicone would look better, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Fish tank silicone would be the best as far as outgassing, it is pretty pure, fish are sensitive.
Any pet store. Wait 3-4 days before re-introduction.
You know, one reason I grabbed the Liquid Nails (aside from the smaller tube) was that it said it's safe for fishtanks right on the package. Guess the fish don't mind the smell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #43
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I figured it was a brand name. I'll check Advanced Auto Parts or Home Depot, whichever I get to first. Clear silicone would look better, I think.

You know, one reason I grabbed the Liquid Nails (aside from the smaller tube) was that it said it's safe for fishtanks right on the package. Guess the fish don't mind the smell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Home Depot will probably have GE Silicone II in squeeze tubes. It's a quality product.

Wait a second, did you buy liquid nails _construction_adhesive_ or some other product under the liquid nails brand name? If they have a silicone, you might be fine using it - I only have experience with liquid nails constuction adhesive and their underlayment adhesives, if they make a silicone, I've never used it, so no specific comments regarding it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #44
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Home Depot will probably have GE Silicone II in squeeze tubes. It's a quality product.

Wait a second, did you buy liquid nails _construction_adhesive_ or some other product under the liquid nails brand name? If they have a silicone, you might be fine using it - I only have experience with liquid nails constuction adhesive and their underlayment adhesives, if they make a silicone, I've never used it, so no specific comments regarding it.
Package says Liquid Nails Clear Seal All-Purpose Sealant. It's not going to work, the stuff reeks.
Since this seems to be an area of expertise for you, I'll go with one of the products you recommended. Thanks for the tips.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #45
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Package says Liquid Nails Clear Seal All-Purpose Sealant. It's not going to work, the stuff reeks.
Since this seems to be an area of expertise for you, I'll go with one of the products you recommended. Thanks for the tips.
Posted via Mobile Device
This one?

http://www.liquidnails.com/products/...sp?productId=4

Never used it and I don't know anything about it.

It might be fine. I just don't know.

No expert here on the other ones, just many years using them...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #46
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
This one?

http://www.liquidnails.com/products/...sp?productId=4

Never used it and I don't know anything about it.

It might be fine. I just don't know.
Yeah, that's the stuff. Just noticed it says *not* for use in aquariums (insert facepalm smiley here).
Quote:
No expert here on the other ones, just many years using them...
Unless you're Sarah Palin, experience = expertise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #47
tobii3

Quote:
Unless you're Sarah Palin, experience = expertise

Wait....your Senator was WHO???

Check out PetSmart for stuff like this -

Aquarium Seal
Old 12-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #48
Vigiles
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (3)
Vigiles is on a distinguished road

I just ordered a round container of heartfelt beads tonight. I'm running into the same problems as you Kreth, desktop is struggling at 57 to 60% RH. and its full plus the new cigar caddy is full as well.

So tell me why I've been looking into buying my first box?

I'll be coming back to read this thread when its time to setup my first coolador.
Vigiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #49
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post

Wait....your Senator was WHO???

We had another Senator before Gillibrand but I don't remember her name. She didn't do much...

Quote:
Check out PetSmart for stuff like this -

Aquarium Seal
Thanks for the tip, but the nearest PetSmart is an hour away. I'll probably go with one of the products Adam suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigiles View Post
I just ordered a round container of heartfelt beads tonight. I'm running into the same problems as you Kreth, desktop is struggling at 57 to 60% RH. and its full plus the new cigar caddy is full as well.
Does your desktop have glass, by any chance? I'll update once I add a bead of silicone, plus I'm waiting to hear back from Scott (shilala) about picking up some more of his beads. The Puck I have in the desktop now has been pretty good up until the last couple of weeks, but I guess I need more horsepower now that the RH in our apartment is in the 30s.
One positive note: the Acu Rite hygrometer I picked up at WalMart is within 1% of the calibrated HygroSet I already have. Not bad for $7.97.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #50
tobii3

aw crap....didn't realize it was THAT far away from ya!!

On those AccuRite's - that's a GOOD thing - I've had them all over the place - to the point of buying 8 of them at one time and returning the other 7 after checking their sensitivity.... O.C.D is a PITA when it comes to cigars!!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #51
Vigiles
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Garrett
Vigiles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We had another Senator before Gillibrand but I don't remember her name. She didn't do much...

Thanks for the tip, but the nearest PetSmart is an hour away. I'll probably go with one of the products Adam suggested.

Does your desktop have glass, by any chance? I'll update once I add a bead of silicone, plus I'm waiting to hear back from Scott (shilala) about picking up some more of his beads. The Puck I have in the desktop now has been pretty good up until the last couple of weeks, but I guess I need more horsepower now that the RH in our apartment is in the 30s.
One positive note: the Acu Rite hygrometer I picked up at WalMart is within 1% of the calibrated HygroSet I already have. Not bad for $7.97.
Posted via Mobile Device
No my desktop doesn't have a glass top. However the RH in my place plummeted with the cold weather as well, although probably not as bad as in NY.

What size puck do you have and what size is your desktop? I ordered the larger size puck, that according to the website could take care of a humidor twice the size of mine. I'm hoping this takes care of everthing!
Vigiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #52
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
On those AccuRite's - that's a GOOD thing - I've had them all over the place - to the point of buying 8 of them at one time and returning the other 7 after checking their sensitivity.... O.C.D is a PITA when it comes to cigars!!!!
They also had a model with a wired probe. I might pick one up when I get the cooler, so I can keep an eye on RH without needing to open it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigiles View Post
What size puck do you have and what size is your desktop? I ordered the larger size puck, that according to the website could take care of a humidor twice the size of mine. I'm hoping this takes care of everthing!
I have the larger Puck in a 100 ct. (right around 900 cu. in. IIRC).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #53
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Unless you're Sarah Palin, experience = expertise.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can see a silicone adhesives factory from my front porch...

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

It just occurred to me that you never mentioned if or how you established that the glass framing is where the leak is, so before you go through the effort of sealing the glass, are you even sure that's where the leak is?

Have you tried something like running some strips of wide masking tape over the seams / joint between the glass and the wood to seal it and then let the humidor sit for awhile to see what the humidity readings do?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #54
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
t just occurred to me that you never mentioned if or how you established that the glass framing is where the leak is, so before you go through the effort of sealing the glass, are you even sure that's where the leak is?

Have you tried something like running some strips of wide masking tape over the seams / joint between the glass and the wood to seal it and then let the humidor sit for awhile to see what the humidity readings do?
I have not tried that. The lid passes the drop test, so I assumed the glass was the source of the leak.I suppose it could also be the analog hygro on the front, but that's a pretty snug fit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #55
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm planning to stop down at the B&M today for a smoke. I'll see if they'd like to off-load any boxes.
Any issues with varnished boxes?
Posted via Mobile Device
I haven't had any troubles with varnished boxes they work fine for me
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #56
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

I have a humi with glass top and 2 glass windows in front... I found these silicone ear plugs at the drug store that you can roll out into little strips. Odorless, clear, easy to work with and cost like $2 for 12 plugs. I didnt even use 6 of them to seal it all up...

Here they are.. I got them at CVS
http://www.macksearplugs.com/pillow_...e_earplugs.htm
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #57
Kreth
Ronin smoker

I should've grabbed the Xtreme 70 qt. when I saw it last week. I ended up snagging an Igloo Family 48 qt. (no idea where it came from, it wasn't out last week). I'll scrub it out with baking soda and water tonight.
Also picked up some GE Silicone II (yes, he can be taught!) for the desktop humi, and some Backwoods since I didn't plan this quitting cigs things very well. I think I'm gonna order some Holt's Shorties tomorrow...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #58
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

A lot of good info here, that's for sure.

Varnished/un-varnished, makes no difference.

You don't want a completely airtight system, but restricted. You sticks do need to breathe as they continue to "offgas" as they continue to mature. (ever find an Ammonia-type smell in your cooler???)

And one last thing...

Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #59
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCard View Post
And one last thing...

Um, yeah, about that... I won't be posting pics of an empty cooler...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #60
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Um, yeah, about that... I won't be posting pics of an empty cooler...
Posted via Mobile Device
So, you're admitting that you have an empty cooler?!?