Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Storage Upgrade Suggestions?

Well, it's time to upgrade. Due to recent bombs and lopsided trades, both my 100 count desktop and 30 count Cigar Caddy are about to burst.
I think my only option will be a coolerdor, due to limited funds. I have a 1/2 lb. of Scott's beads on the way, so I think I should be good up to about a 75 qt. cooler. I'll have to check Wally World and BJ's to see if they have anything on clearance.
One question, what do you coolerdor owners do for singles storage? Spare boxes? Buy a tray to sit on top of your box storage? I buy a lot of 5ers and singles, both to try new stuff and because I can't afford boxes of the pricier sticks. Right now the top tray in my desktop is stacked 3 high with various sticks, and it's a PITA to take the tray out without dumping sticks all over.
Another question, with Oust fans getting scarce, what's a good alternative? I'm thinking with a 75 qt. cooler, I could get by with two fans.
Oh, one more thing: with my current lack of storage space, I'm declaring my little corner of NY a No Fire Zone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Storage Upgrade Suggestions?

I've seen people use the plastic bins/trays that you would use to hold pencils and stuff to hold singles. Personally, I have a few old boxes that I toss singles into. 5-packs, either put the cigars in a box, or just open the bag and toss it in the cooler somewhere.

For a 75qt cooler, you probably don't need oust fans.

----EDIT
adding picture of plastic basket/tray to avoid confusion:

6"x5"x3"
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Jeff: I Bought 4 Nice Spanish Cedar Trays Here: They Look & Work Great In The Coolidor!
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/TRAY.html
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I use ziplocks and 5 finger bags and the occasional empy box for single storage. And you don't need a fan.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Also, The Igloo Marine From Wally World Seems To Keep RH Better and have a better seal than my Coleman Cooler. Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Jeff: I Bought 4 Nice Spanish Cedar Trays Here: They Look & Work Great In The Coolidor!
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/TRAY.html
Thanks for the link. What size cooler do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Also, The Igloo Marine From Wally World Seems To Keep RH Better and have a better seal than my Coleman Cooler. Good Luck!
I was thinking about the Marine cooler, mainly because of the slots. I could put in trays at some point. It will depend on whether I can find one on clearance. The last time I was looking, they were almost as much as a Havana Footlocker.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
RonC

please check out www.coolidor.com

also, if you have a sams club near you, i saw the big 150 qt marine igloo for about $75
Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
please check out www.coolidor.com

also, if you have a sams club near you, i saw the big 150 qt marine igloo for about $75
That was one of the sites I found in my research. The closest Sam's Club is a bit over an hour away. We have a Wal Mart and BJ's locally.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I have a couple coleman coolers I use . I believe they said something like 8 day cooler , meaning ice will last 8 days . Which to me means better insulation inside and a better seal when closed . Always rock solid at 65% with my Heartfelt beads . They have a ledge inside that the trays from bargainhumidors.com fit perfectly on also . If all you can swing is a smaller cooler right now that is still better then nothing .
Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I use ziplocks and 5 finger bags and the occasional empy box for single storage. And you don't need a fan.
Just leave the bags cracked open a little and stack them
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I have mostly trays, old boxes and the occasional 5-finger bag for single storage. I've also seen others use tupperware without the lid.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm gonna try and make it to WM and BJ's tomorrow, unless of course the rain holds off and I can golf.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2009, 04:11 AM   #13
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Thanks for the link. What size cooler do you have?

I was thinking about the Marine cooler, mainly because of the slots. I could put in trays at some point. It will depend on whether I can find one on clearance. The last time I was looking, they were almost as much as a Havana Footlocker.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jeff, I Have 1 72 Qt. Coleman & 2 48 Qt. Igloo Marines. Marines were around $30 A Piece at Wally World If I Remember Correctly.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #14
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:

Old 10-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

I also buy mostly 5ers but like the extra buffering of cedar. A local B&M sells empty wooden boxes at $2 a pop, so I just filled mine up with that.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
Kreth
Ronin smoker

From what I understand, you want to keep the cooler as full as possible to prevent huge RH swings, even if it's mostly empty boxes. I'll have to check with my local B&M for boxes.
It's absolutely pouring here right now, so I haven't been inclined to go out to check on cooler prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well, it's time to upgrade. Due to recent bombs and lopsided trades, both my 100 count desktop and 30 count Cigar Caddy are about to burst.
I think my only option will be a coolerdor, due to limited funds. I have a 1/2 lb. of Scott's beads on the way, so I think I should be good up to about a 75 qt. cooler. I'll have to check Wally World and BJ's to see if they have anything on clearance.
One question, what do you coolerdor owners do for singles storage? Spare boxes? Buy a tray to sit on top of your box storage? I buy a lot of 5ers and singles, both to try new stuff and because I can't afford boxes of the pricier sticks. Right now the top tray in my desktop is stacked 3 high with various sticks, and it's a PITA to take the tray out without dumping sticks all over.
Another question, with Oust fans getting scarce, what's a good alternative? I'm thinking with a 75 qt. cooler, I could get by with two fans.
Oh, one more thing: with my current lack of storage space, I'm declaring my little corner of NY a No Fire Zone.
Posted via Mobile Device
I use empty boxes for singles storage. I had been doing that for a few years. Just recently, I bought to cedar trays and like them very much.

If you are in and out of your cooler regularly, you don't need a fan. I have two coolers and one is for longer term storage which is rarely opened. I use one fan in there. The other cooler is opened at least once or twice a week - sometimes more. Absolutely no need for a fan in that one.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
From what I understand, you want to keep the cooler as full as possible to prevent huge RH swings, even if it's mostly empty boxes. I'll have to check with my local B&M for boxes.
It's absolutely pouring here right now, so I haven't been inclined to go out to check on cooler prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not true. I have a 78qt that has two boxes in it and it stays at 63% like a rock and doesn't move. I like the Coleman Xtreme coolers because of the extra insulation.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #19
Slavac

So you have <130 cigars.

Anyone have Kreth's address?
Old 10-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #20
Slavac

Quote:
Not true. I have a 78qt that has two boxes in it and it stays at 63% like a rock and doesn't move. I like the Coleman Xtreme coolers because of the extra insulation.
To add on, I've had both an empty 100qt cooler and a near full one. It held RH rock solid with Heartfelt beads and no fan.

I simply put my loose sticks in spare cigar boxes I get for free from a local B&M.