Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #181
Big D KC

Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Grab you a case (12) of half pint kerr canning jars for about $10 or so at your local grocery store. Take em home clean them up real good, drop your samples in them and just be sure to screw the lids down tight after dipping into them each time for a smoke! Should last pretty much indefinitely for the most part. (well maybe only a few years of opening & closing the jars multiple times a day!) Be sure to label them!

I've learned the canning jars are wonderful storage devices. The canning jars will keep your samples pretty much exactly like they were the day you put them in until they are gone. No need for a vacuum sealer at this stage! Open, Close, Enjoy!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #182
Sancho
Puddle Jumper

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
Sancho has disabled reputation

My method was similar for long term storage:
1. Buy small cooler that could hold a 12 pk
2. Buy tons of tins of tobacco
3. fill cooler
4. Vac seal cooler
5. place cooler somewhere where I'll never find it
6. wait a few decades
7. smoke
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #183
LordOfWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D KC View Post
Grab you a case (12) of half pint kerr canning jars for about $10 or so at your local grocery store. Take em home clean them up real good, drop your samples in them and just be sure to screw the lids down tight after dipping into them each time for a smoke! Should last pretty much indefinitely for the most part. (well maybe only a few years of opening & closing the jars multiple times a day!) Be sure to label them!

I've learned the canning jars are wonderful storage devices. The canning jars will keep your samples pretty much exactly like they were the day you put them in until they are gone. No need for a vacuum sealer at this stage! Open, Close, Enjoy!

Most excellent, thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #184
morefifemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
3. fill cooler
4. Vac seal cooler
6. wait a few decades
7. smoke
Wouldn't this be redundant since the tins are already vac sealed?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for overkill. I just don't want people thinking they wont age properly without vac sealing the cooler.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #185
TheJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by morefifemusic View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for overkill. I just don't want people thinking they wont age properly without vac sealing the cooler.

You can't be too careful when waiting a few decades.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #186
Sancho
Puddle Jumper

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
Sancho has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by morefifemusic View Post

Overkill, perhaps for short term storage but for longterm you need to better stabilize the aging space and two levels of vaccum is just layers of protection. Ask me how many tins I've found from years ago that are unsealed due to time...
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #187
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Old Farts:

Is there a way to increase the flavor of pipe tobaccos? I want to get into pipe smoking, because I love the tradition, the ritual of preparing and keeping up a pipe, and particularly the feel of the actual smoking of it, but I've noticed that I can't really taste it. I went to the B&M yesterday because it's Pipe Week and they had a bunch of tobaccos for sample, and I must have gone through dozens, both tinned and house blends. It tastes like water, with a hint of general flavor on the nose exhale. From pure Virginia aromatic to the heftiest perique and latakia blends (Irish Flake was supposed to be pretty...robust...and it definitely was, but still didn't taste).

I found just three which I liked (all house blends, believe it or not - "Proper English," "Night Cap" and "Champagne"), but they still aren't all that flavorful. They just happened to taste more at all than the rest. I got the Night Cap and I enjoy the flavor a lot, but I wish there was just more of it. Do I need to quit cigars for a bit before the flavors of the gentler pipe tobaccos "pop?" Thanks guys.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #188
kzm007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
3. fill cooler
4. Vac seal cooler
6. wait a few decades
7. smoke
Do you mean a cooler big enough for a case of beer, or a case of jars?

Love that method though!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #189
WWhermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
Old Farts:

Is there a way to increase the flavor of pipe tobaccos? I want to get into pipe smoking, because I love the tradition, the ritual of preparing and keeping up a pipe, and particularly the feel of the actual smoking of it, but I've noticed that I can't really taste it. I went to the B&M yesterday because it's Pipe Week and they had a bunch of tobaccos for sample, and I must have gone through dozens, both tinned and house blends. It tastes like water, with a hint of general flavor on the nose exhale. From pure Virginia aromatic to the heftiest perique and latakia blends (Irish Flake was supposed to be pretty...robust...and it definitely was, but still didn't taste).

I found just three which I liked (all house blends, believe it or not - "Proper English," "Night Cap" and "Champagne"), but they still aren't all that flavorful. They just happened to taste more at all than the rest. I got the Night Cap and I enjoy the flavor a lot, but I wish there was just more of it. Do I need to quit cigars for a bit before the flavors of the gentler pipe tobaccos "pop?" Thanks guys.
You have to temper your pallate to the taste of pipe tobacco. When first starting out, you won't taste much at all. Smoke one bowl a day, and at about week 3 or 4, you'll realize you taste the tobacco like you never have before.

So, time and patience. The very reasons why we smoke a pipe in the first place.

WWhermit
:
Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #190
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWhermit View Post
You have to temper your pallate to the taste of pipe tobacco. When first starting out, you won't taste much at all. Smoke one bowl a day, and at about week 3 or 4, you'll realize you taste the tobacco like you never have before.

So, time and patience. The very reasons why we smoke a pipe in the first place.

WWhermit
:
Ba da bing, above. Smoke slowly, too - fast puffers are hot-tobacco puffers and hot tobacco evaporates flavor.

Your picks were very good, flavorwise, IMO.

If all else fails and you just can't find the zing - and I mean ALL ELSE - try some 1792. If you can't taste that stuff, see a neurologist for a tongue and brain scan.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #191
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

Bolivar

Awesome, thanks! I shouldn't have a problem smoking a bowl a day, haha. I've been doing that anyway, because I'm breaking in my new Peterson and I love it.

Patience I can do - I can wait for a reward.

I've been smoking slowly I think; I don't think that's my problem. I learned that lesson already, haha.

Mister Moo - who makes 1792? Sounds like something I want to try
Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #192
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Awesome, thanks! I shouldn't have a problem smoking a bowl a day, haha. I've been doing that anyway, because I'm breaking in my new Peterson and I love it.

I've been smoking slowly I think; I don't think that's my problem. I learned that lesson already, haha.

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_deta...PHA=1&TID=1004
Old 03-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #193
Mister Moo

Quote:

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_deta...PHA=1&TID=1004

Personally, I love the stuff. I makes a lot of people want to give up pipe smoking, though.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #194
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

Also try this one.
http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_deta...PHA=B&TID=1008
or this
http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_deta...PHA=S&TID=1837

they are rope style tobacco's but have tons of flavor and really robust. If you do get some ropes post again for advice on how to prepare it to smoke; they aren't that hard.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #195
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Old Farts:

You tried dozens in one day? No wonder you cannot taste anything, your taste buds are fried.

Seriously. How can you expect to taste anything if your they are so over-taxed.

When I smoke more than 5 bowls in a day, I don't taste much.

I have found that the best flavors for me appear when I haven't had a smoke in a couple days and I sit back and relax - not try and taste things - just sitting back and contemplating life.

Give your palate a chance to recoup and then try again.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #196
davearob
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (2)
RyJ
davearob is on a distinguished road

If I smoke a cigar even earlier in the afternoon and then try a pipe in the evening I find the pipe to have little flavor. So I have chosen either one or the other for a day. Is this common? Does anybody mix the two successfully. Is it because I am still very new to pipes?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #197
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

Bolivar

@Mister Moo
Ah, thanks. I'll look for it!

@Nick
I'll look for those, too - they sound pretty awesome. Full-flavored is what I'm looking for; I could care less about the nic kick. I don't "know" how to smoke rope, but wouldn't you just slice off some "coins" and rub them like a flake?

@RevSmoke
Haha, no. I didn't smoke dozens of bowls. I took a little pinch and smoked it for a minute, then dumped it.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #198
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

Quote:

@Nick
I'll look for those, too - they sound pretty awesome. Full-flavored is what I'm looking for; I could care less about the nic kick. I don't "know" how to smoke rope, but wouldn't you just slice off some "coins" and rub them like a flake?
Pretty much you are a smart cookie.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #199
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
@RevSmoke
Haha, no. I didn't smoke dozens of bowls. I took a little pinch and smoked it for a minute, then dumped it.
That's no way to taste a tobacco, you don't give it enough time to develop. Seriously!

Fill a pipe and smoke it. But, don't overtax your tongue or your taste buds. Try new blends on a fresh palate - just like tasting wines. If you smoke more than one blend, start with mild (less flavorful - burleys or VA) and work your way to more flavorful.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #200
Cyclone

Total Newbie piper question... Bear with me

What is the approximate humidity that tobacco should be kept at?

A buddy gave me a pipe and some tobacco and I tried it for the 1st time at a herf tonight.

The general consensus was that the tobacco was too dry.

The bright side is that the wife kind of like the smell

cheers,
Rudy