Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #3421
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Photography Thread

Continued...

img521 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

img508 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

img537 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #3422
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Playing with the DOF. Puppy has a 1.8 aperture at the wide end.

DSC00074 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

DSC00073 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 01-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #3423
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

You need a DSLR, lol. You know you want one....you are in my POWAH! You are getting sleepy.
Geezus, don't shoot me with one of those rounds. Talk about eviscerate a brutha.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #3424
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Comparison to my iPhone 4s

Untitled by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #3425
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Sony makes the best compacts of any maker, I have always thought. Not sure if I am right or not, but I have
seen theresults on several great cameras from 5-6 years ago and further back, too, and they really look great.
I realize this is a serious step up from those as well.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #3426
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Yeh I really like it. Focuses fast for a non dslr. Most importantly, it shoots RAW.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #3427
OLS
Suck It

You know I have been doing this for a year, and lord knows I have shot a ton of pics, but I have yet to shoot a single
RAW frame. How is that for stodgy?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #3428
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
You know I have been doing this for a year, and lord knows I have shot a ton of pics, but I have yet to shoot a single
RAW frame. How is that for stodgy?
Really?!?! That's impressive, especially for the shots you produce Brad. For me, the RAW images give me the ability to adjust so much, that's all I shoot now.
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #3429
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Really?!?! That's impressive, especially for the shots you produce Brad. For me, the RAW images give me the ability to adjust so much, that's all I shoot now.
What Jeff said. I shot RAW + jpeg sometimes
Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #3430
OLS
Suck It

HEY, I realize that this is QUITE a step back for most people, but I saw a really good deal today that I wanted to share.

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20613059.html

The D70s is KIND of a relic, but highly capable, to be sure. The reason this is a deal is that it is 90% off of it's release price
but also about 50% off of it's current used list price. All for a power switch that won't turn the camera off. The reason this
is a good deal is that the Nikon DSLR BATTERY does NOT discharge when you leave the camera turned on. You could turn it on,
put the camera in a bag and leave it in a closet for a year and then pop it out and shoot some shots, you might not have the same
battery level, but it will not drain in a week. The only thing that makes the power switch somewhat useful is that I do not like
to change lenses with the power on, but I have certainly done it before, to no apparent harm done. You could pop out the battery,
change the lens, and pop it back in. To be able to get a D70s for $75 and KNOW that the issue that has it discounted so deeply is so
irrelevant is a pretty good deal.

Need a cheap auto-focus zoom lens to go with it??? http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20542610.html In and out for about $100.

Get a compact flash memory card, too while you are at it, 4GB is likely the ceiling on size. http://www.adorama.com/IDS4GBUC25R.html

If you are asking why I DID NOT BUY IT, well, I can't keep buying close-outs forever. I just had to give away 4 of them at Christmas.

Last edited by OLS; 01-09-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #3431
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

brad's such a bad influence on people
Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #3432
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Here is one of my favorites.

Another "cool" one.

My youngest boy and the moose.

Not as nice, but...

Old 01-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #3433
OLS
Suck It

Ironically, the 'not as nice' one is the winner on sheer appeal. It would be great if we all managed to come home with
Ansel Adams quality pics of that 'too cool to believe' shot, but more often than not, we just manage to get a shot
that proves we were there. I like all of em, but the moose one is hard to beat.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #3434
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
brad's such a bad influence on people
I was thinking about getting it as a trunk camera, since I seem to have given all of my trunk cameras away.
But I think in the end, my OOOOooold Canon compact might do fine. But you of all people know how hard it is
for me to leave that camera up there for someone else to pick up.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #3435
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Leave it be Brad. Some kid might be interested in photography and it might be all he can afford. Leave it there for him.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #3436
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I'm trying to be good and not spend more money! Someone at work left a print catalog from B&H in the break room at work, and I saw that they had some used Nikon d7000 and d7100 listed, so I went online and found a used d7000 in number nine condition (probably similar to Adorma's E or E+ classification?) for about $570... Must resist!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #3437
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Well for 659 u can get a NIB d7000
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #3438
OLS
Suck It

My first advice to you Ron is NEVER buy used gear from B&H. They may be to the penny the same as Adorama on new gear,
but on used they are 15-25% higher across the board. I don't know about YOU, but I NEED that extra money. I used to be a
huge advocate for B&H, and I still love em, but on used, they can't TOUCH Adorama.

SECOND, unless you need the low light capability that a D7000 brings, you don't need to upgrade. Image quality is close
to the same, and yet noticeably better...but perhaps not worth 6oo bucks. I just picked up a D7000 for $569 because my
spare NEEDS to be able to do 3200 standing on it's head and 6400 in a pinch. I don't like pushing a D90 past 1600 under
any circumstances, and I am not a fan of images over 1200. They blow out the colors and bloom something fierce. And
I tend to agree with Justin, a New unit is only a hundred bucks more, although I needed that hundred and went "E" grade.
It has 1400 shutter actuations on it. IT IS A NICE CAMERA, but I use it for my small bidness. For pleasure, a D90 is still
a great camera. Save up for that D700 when they break below $1000 this summer or $900 in the holiday season. I swear
in 10 years that D700 is still going to be a camera to recon with. A true classic.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #3439
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Leave it be Brad. Some kid might be interested in photography and it might be all he can afford. Leave it there for him.
Problem with that logic is that a kid just getting started in Photography would not know that you can
leave a Nikon powered up without draining the battery. BUT I DID leave it be. Someone got it the same day,
but the important thing is it WAS NOT ME!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #3440
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Eh. I'm over it. I got bills to pay too! I just bought a newer car; the payments plus insurance went up from my last ride (which, unfortunately, had been broadsided by someone last week) sooooo....No expensive camera gear for me for now!