Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #21
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: 2014 MLB Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Grandy's a nice player, but overpaid for a team with 3 CFs. And Robbie's a nicer one to whom the Yanks would have given $24 M a year . . . but for 7 years, not ten. Remember, Cano fired the most mercenary agent in sports, Scott Boras, to go to somebody even more mercenary, Jay Z.

But of course, you'd know nothing about that, as the Black Sox have always kept all their players.
No, I get it, the yanks are frugal and didn't want to spend the money! Seriously, you think they didn't sign Cano because of 3 extra years?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #22
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
No, I get it, the yanks are frugal and didn't want to spend the money! Seriously, you think they didn't sign Cano because of 3 extra years?
You're right, I'm nuts.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ball-ends.aspx
Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #23
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
I don't get it, the article is claiming that since the Mariners got a "roughly" 2 billion dollar tv deal over 17 years, they were able to outbid the Yankees for Cano? I don't buy it and I certainly wouldn't underestimate your Yankees financial abilities. I'll be honest and say I don't know the full terms of the Yankees tv deals, but I'd venture to say that it's a fairly large revenue stream for them, certainly close to what the Mariners get over 17 years. What about other revenue streams? Tickets, apparel, advertising, sponsorship, premium seating, radio deals, ect... Plus ownership capital contributions.. Yankees did not get outbid by the Mariners for Cano. I'm still left wondering why they didn't resign.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #24
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I think originally they were making a case that if he was suspended for over a year they could void his contract and there would be no more payments, interesting that it ended up being 161, one game LESS than a full season.

Maybe Jeter will move to third so a younger prospect can come up and play short Just kidding we know that will never happen.
What i heard before was wrong, I was wrong, it's 162 plus the playoffs if the MFYs make it, so we'll see what they do now.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I heard a report that Arod would be surrendering approximately 22 of his 25 million dollar salary for 2014, so there must be some loophole that he still gets 3 million without playing a single game.

How will he ever survive on only 3 million dollars?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #26
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
How will he ever survive on only 3 million dollars?
It's a struggle, believe me.

And I never said the Yankees could not afford to outbid the M's for Cano if they wanted to. I said they didn't want to. They have had enough of huge long-term contracts hanging around their necks, and they have had enough of paying other teams' freight through the luxury tax. The Yanks were also blindsided a bit by Cano, and thought they were in preliminary negotiations when Robbie suddenly jumped the Yankee Clipper for another shipful of sailors. But why are you obsessing over the money, which was NOT the issue? It was the 10 years that was the sticking point, not the cash, and Cashman (who for some strange reason seems to believe he knows Robbie Cano a bit better than the Mariners . . . or you) balked at the prospect of committing to an additional decade with an infielder who's already 31 . . . and who, good as he is psssst, don't tell anybody has a few holes in his game.

Did the Yanks make a mistake? Maybe. Time will tell. One thing's for sure though. Sign him or not sign him, they were gonna get criticized for it either way. They are the Yankees, and that's what people do.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #27
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
It's a struggle, believe me.

And I never said the Yankees could not afford to outbid the M's for Cano if they wanted to. I said they didn't want to. They have had enough of huge long-term contracts hanging around their necks, and they have had enough of paying other teams' freight through the luxury tax. The Yanks were also blindsided a bit by Cano, and thought they were in preliminary negotiations when Robbie suddenly jumped the Yankee Clipper for another shipful of sailors. But why are you obsessing over the money, which was NOT the issue? It was the 10 years that was the sticking point, not the cash, and Cashman (who for some strange reason seems to believe he knows Robbie Cano a bit better than the Mariners . . . or you) balked at the prospect of committing to an additional decade with an infielder who's already 31 . . . and who, good as he is psssst, don't tell anybody has a few holes in his game.

Did the Yanks make a mistake? Maybe. Time will tell. One thing's for sure though. Sign him or not sign him, they were gonna get criticized for it either way. They are the Yankees, and that's what people do.
Never said it but certainly implied it "Yeah, the Yankees are always frugal when it comes to buying players."
You're right, I'm nuts.
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ball-ends.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If I'm Yanks and money really isn't an issue, why not just look at it this way: 7 year deal for $34 million a year? Just write off the back end of this contract..

Granderson signed for 4 years, $15 million a year. Certainly a re-signable contract I think.

I do think Tanaka will likely end up in NY, either there or LAA. LAD don't need pitching, also Kershaw causes problems down the road if they have both him and Tanaka to deal with.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #28
ChicagoWhiteSox

In other news, A-Roid files suit against MLB and the union. Seeking to vacate ban for 2014.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/sp...ef=sports&_r=0
Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #29
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
In other news, A-Roid files suit against MLB and the union. Seeking to vacate ban for 2014.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/sp...ef=sports&_r=0

No surprise here at all, Aroid needs to be on the front page and on tv as much as possible, since he will never make the "800 HR Club" now, this is his only option to feed his enormous ****ing ego. I do love the fact that the union at least tried to stick up for him (even though you know they are shitting their pants over this mess and the longer Aroid drags it out the worse it is for other players as well), they said it was unfair of baseball to be part of the interview, yet so was the arbitrator as well as Aroid's own lawyers.

I can't wait till he's just an old memory, it's funny the loathing some have for him, he who could well be known in the future as the biggest cheater in the history of MLB.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #30
AdamJoshua

In the end, he thinks he's bigger than the game. That's his biggest mistake.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
In the end, he thinks he's bigger than the game. That's his biggest mistake.
Don't hate the game....Hate the playa.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #32
AdamJoshua

"NEW YORK -- In the final analysis, the arbitrator found the word of a "drug dealer'' to be more credible than that of Alex Rodriguez."

That about sums it up
Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #33
dman4505
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Don
Trading: (4)
Navy (Served With Honor)
dman4505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Hoping we field a MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM this year and not another AAA one.
Only Triple A team playing in the majors resides on the north side of Chicago at Clark & Addison.

Don
Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #34
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman4505 View Post
Only Triple A team playing in the majors resides on the north side of Chicago at Clark & Addison.

Don
They won more games than the White Sox. Marlins and Astros too, for that matter.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #35
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
The Yanks were also blindsided a bit by Cano, and thought they were in preliminary negotiations when Robbie suddenly jumped the Yankee Clipper for another shipful of sailors.

Quote:

If I'm Yanks and money really isn't an issue, why not just look at it this way: 7 year deal for $34 million a year? Just write off the back end of this contract..

Granderson signed for 4 years, $15 million a year. Certainly a re-signable contract I think.

Do you only read those parts of posts that suit you? The Yanks might have payed Cano more per year than Seattle had Jay Z and Robbie given them the chance. As for Grandy, I hope for Mac's sake that the Mets get their money's worth, since the Yanks did not the last 2 years. Last season he only played 61 games, batted .229 with 15 RBIs. He did have a good 2012 regular season, when he earned his $10 M (not $15 M in '12), but went a sterling 3 for 30 in the post-season.

Then there remains the fact that, with the signing of Cano by Seattle and Grandy by the Mets, folks like you are criticizing the Yanks and talking as if the Yankees had a march stolen on them and blew it big time. On the other hand, had the Yankees signed Cano and Grandy to the exact same contracts as they got in Seattle and Queens, folks like you would be criticizing the Yankees for overpaying for two more aging players in an attempt to purchase another championship. Don't bother to deny it . . . I've seen it too often before. It does not matter what the Yankees do, people will find fault regardless of which way they go.

And finally, there's this: Brother, I have no problem whatsoever believing you know a great deal more about the White Sox than I do. Can you perhaps entertain for a second the wild thought that I might know just a teeny-tiny bit more about the Yankees than you?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #36
ChicagoWhiteSox

You're right, I criticize every move they make

And no, I won't entertain that wild idea

If the Yankees sign Tanaka, count on me posting here that they overpaid. If they don't, count on me posting that they missed the boat!
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #37
AdamJoshua

So an interesting side note to this, so Aroid passed 12 or so random tests, now you start looking at all of the player, people like Chris Davis who out of no where hits 33 HRs a year ago and 50+ last year, when in the previous SIX years he hit around 45 TOTAL HRs ... makes you stop and think. To be fair in a couple of those years he played very few games, but his HR per AB went through the roof. In 115 games, the 3 yr period before his "break out" HR seasons he hit a grant total of 5 HRs.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #38
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
You're right, I criticize every move they make

And no, I won't entertain that wild idea

If the Yankees sign Tanaka, count on me posting here that they overpaid. If they don't, count on me posting that they missed the boat!
I believe every one of those statements.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #39
dman4505
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Don
Trading: (4)
Navy (Served With Honor)
dman4505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
They won more games than the White Sox. Marlins and Astros too, for that matter.
That may be but I still think they're not much better than a lot of AAA teams, and I've been a fan since 1972. They may have a few good players on the roster but I don't see any real superstars that's going to get them to the playoffs much less ever win a championship any time soon.

Don
Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #40
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I understand the general sentiment, Don, but it you follow baseball realistically, the Cubs or any MLB team would beat an AAA team 19 times out of 20. JMHO.