Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #21
timberham

Default Re: Moisture Sensor for Humidors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefari0us View Post
Input sent as well!
Thanks!

Old 10-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #22
timberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Hydrometer (with a "d") tests the specific gravity of a fluid - for example, the bulb tester with the floating balls to check your automotive coolant mixture or one for testing. Sometimes they show lab grade versions of them in a quick flash as part of a wine or beer company commercial (I think I've seen them used in some Sam Adams and EJ Gallo commercials). It really wouldn't be much use to a cigar humidor unless it was filled with water.

A hygrometer (with a "g") measures the relative humidity.

I already have one of those. It's called an active humidifier. Some of the companies that already manufacture them: Cigar Oasis, Hydra, Humi-Care, Habitat Monitor, Bob Stabell's Set-n-Forget, etc.

They can be had for about $60 and up depending on the manufacturer IIRC.

It's working now, your original post had a truncated link. Thanks.
Thanks!

Also, I have done a little research into a few of those manufacturers. Mine is a little different then those are, and would also be cheaper and I believe a little more accurate and without a doubt more reliable.

And sorry, I guess I also just skipped over the "g" when google'ing haha. Thanks for correcting me though!

Old 10-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberham View Post
Thanks!

Also, I have done a little research into a few of those manufacturers. Mine is a little different then those are, and would also be cheaper and I believe a little more accurate and without a doubt more reliable.

And sorry, I guess I also just skipped over the "g" when google'ing haha. Thanks for correcting me though!
Some of those units are pretty accurate, others, eh, notsomuch.

One thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturing costs of the other units is not necessarily the driving force behind their price tags, in most cases, it's really only a (small) part of it. A lower manufacturing cost for your product might or might not yield a significantly lower price point when selling, also, how low do you want your profit margins to be.

I'd definitely be interested to see if/when it comes to fruition as a product in the marketspace.

Regardless, best of luck with your endeavor.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks!

BTW, if you are thinking of making your hygrometer out of horse hair, its already been done.

I'm an engineer with patents and the like. PM me and I'll try to help out

Bob
Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #25
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Cheaper and more reliable with better accuracy would be a big win, I think. Particularly if you are able to reasonably incorporate an alarm functionality for RH out of spec and/or low reservoir if an active system.

Lots of places need this type of system, not just cigar users, so I hope that you are thinking much broader. Also, didn't you put out a survey regarding boats as well?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #26
timberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Some of those units are pretty accurate, others, eh, notsomuch.

One thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturing costs of the other units is not necessarily the driving force behind their price tags, in most cases, it's really only a (small) part of it. A lower manufacturing cost for your product might or might not yield a significantly lower price point when selling, also, how low do you want your profit margins to be.

I'd definitely be interested to see if/when it comes to fruition as a product in the marketspace.

Regardless, best of luck with your endeavor.

Margins aren't really important to me, I'm more interested in getting it out there. The next step will be to implement this into other places, houses and boats are on that list. I was also thinking of trying to market this for wine coolers/fridges because it won't fault with condensation. And I'm in the process of prototyping it now. Hoping to have a working prototype bye by the end of the semester.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #27
timberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Cheaper and more reliable with better accuracy would be a big win, I think. Particularly if you are able to reasonably incorporate an alarm functionality for RH out of spec and/or low reservoir if an active system.

Lots of places need this type of system, not just cigar users, so I hope that you are thinking much broader. Also, didn't you put out a survey regarding boats as well?
Haha, yes actually, I am currently looking at boats as well, and houses and thinking about wine coolers too. A boat survey is currently out right now so I'm looking at multiple markets right now.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #28
timberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
BTW, if you are thinking of making your hygrometer out of horse hair, its already been done.

I'm an engineer with patents and the like. PM me and I'll try to help out

Bob
Hey thanks. The actual moisture "stuff" is already patented, the sensor itself may or may not be patentable yet. Regardless I'm trying to get some grant money from the gov. But thanks for the help and I still may contact you with some further questions!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #29
timberham

Keep the feedback coming!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #30
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

Wireless would be nice between the sensor and the main unit if you are going digital. That way we could have the sensor in the cooler and not have to open the lid to see the reading.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #31
timberham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcode View Post
Wireless would be nice between the sensor and the main unit if you are going digital. That way we could have the sensor in the cooler and not have to open the lid to see the reading.
I'm thinking I would use RFID so that it has more specific ties to a device. But yes, the device would have some sort of monitoring system.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Closed as there is a new thread started by the OP.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Closed Thread