Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #21
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: ALDS 2010: Yankees vs Twins

The only reason the Twins could have a chance to beat the Yankees is because Joe Nathan is still on the DL.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
The only reason the Twins could have a chance to beat the Yankees is because Joe Nathan is still on the DL.
Love the ever confident yankee fan. Seriously, good luck with your pitching, the lineup against righties is death, but bullpen is proved it was mediocre, and against teams like Minny and Tampa that will steal a base, you guys are in serious trouble outside the friendly confines of yankee stadium.

Truth of the matter is you need the homer to score, this, and the utter lack of starting pitching is going to be your downfall.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You haven't seen that much of Matt Capps this season have you? It makes me pine for Joe Nathan!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
Love the ever confident yankee fan. Seriously, good luck with your pitching, the lineup against righties is death, but bullpen is proved it was mediocre, and against teams like Minny and Tampa that will steal a base, you guys are in serious trouble outside the friendly confines of yankee stadium.

Truth of the matter is you need the homer to score, this, and the utter lack of starting pitching is going to be your downfall.
Can't say i'm all that worried. CC is money, Andy always steps up come post season time, Burnett sucks (but maybe he's due I dunno), and Hughes has been really good. The starting pitching is fine, and if they can get Woods and Mo in 8th and 9th the game is as good as over. Can't say that about Fuentes and Capps. Offensively the Yanks are better than the Twins. And it's not like the Twinkies have all that great of a rotation, especially when their top guy is Carl Pavano

The Yankees and Rays actually match up better than you think. Both have had almost the same issues leading up to the playoffs, should be an interesting series once they finish their respective first round opponents.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #25
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

This time tomorrow the Yankees will have 1-0 series lead.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:16 AM   #26
Wanger

TWINS!

Yes, they (NY) have the "been there, done that" attitude and experience factor. The twins have been through some adversity this year and found their stride in the second half. When the pressure was off after they clinched the division, they seemed to relax and almost mail it in. Can they crank it back up again? I hope so. Will they be able to? Who knows.

The Twins do have a stronger bullpen than they have had in the past. There are 3 guys there that have at least 20 saves this season, and a decent lefty/righty ratio out there. The new home stadium could be a factor, and having home field is a bigger deal than it seems on the surface. It's not going into the cold of the NY stadium and that environment. While NY still had a great record, there is the possibility that age is catching up with them. That the wear and tear of the season has worn them down some. Neither team comes in hot. You can argue that NY played better teams at the end of the year, and that may be true, but they had more incentive to win those games, and they still didn't turn it on. As for Pettite, he's coming off an injury. Has he truly found his form yet? If he hasn't, it doesn't really matter that he's always turned it on in the playoffs. They'll bunt against CC and piss him off and throw him off his game.

All that being said, I like the Twins chances here and think it will be a much closer series than NY fans expect it to be. It would not surprise me at all if this one goes 5 games, and is literally decided by a couple runs in total differential through the series.

Go Twins!!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #27
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Sorry Ryan but got to root against the Yankees ... Go Twins ... well at least until football heats back up this weekend.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #28
MNSmoker
Well Adjusted

First Name: Chris
Trading: (13)
Cohiba
MNSmoker has disabled reputation

If I had to bet money on this series, I would probably say Yankees in five (unfortunately). It's no secret that the Yankees have owned us the last few years. I'm really hoping that this Twins squad with a beefed up offense, stronger bullpen and no Joe Nathan can actually get it done this time around. Losing Justin Morneau to a concussion earlier in the season isn't going to make this any easier either.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #29
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Let's Go Yankees!!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #30
ChicagoWhiteSox

The Twinkies will have a problem with the cold nights in October. First year with home games outside since the 70's. I think this will possibly hurt their bats.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #31
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

Go Twins !

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #32
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Go Yankees.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #33
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Let's Go Yankees!!!!
Quote:
Go Yankees.
No wonder you have so many posts, Ryan!

yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #34
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
The Twinkies will have a problem with the cold nights in October. First year with home games outside since the 70's. I think this will possibly hurt their bats.
That is a good point. They certainly don't have the same home field advantage that they used to have with the Metrodome.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #35
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Go Twins! Sorry, Ryan.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #36
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The weather here for the next few nights is for temps in the upper 60's at first pitch. This team has the best home record in the AL. I think they'll be fine at home this postseason.

I agree we need to turn 'it' back on!

GO TWINS!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #37
Wanger

Quote:
Uh...the Metrodone opened in 1982.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #38
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Uh...the Metrodone opened in 1982.

I forgot about the 2 years in the 80's Let's just say they haven't played an outdoor night game in October since at least 82'. Can it snow in October up in Minnesooooota? The Yanks are more acclimated to cold October weather. They play in October almost every year.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #39
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Well, at least AJ Burnett got yanked from the rotation. He sucks.

The way the Yankees finished the season and lost 2 out of 3 to the Red Sux, they should feel fortunate to still be playing.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #40
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Well, at least AJ Burnett got yanked from the rotation. He sucks.

The way the Yankees finished the season and lost 2 out of 3 to the Red Sux, they should feel fortunate to still be playing.
Burnett just never found his way this year.