Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #381
crazyirishman

Default Re: (Official?) Pocket Knife Discussion Thread

I carry a small, black Bushnell folder clipped to my belt on a daily basis (until I get my CCW, at which point my belt will carry something with a little more oomph. But I'll probably still carry the knife).

Not sure of the model but the construction is very solid and it hasn't failed me in opening or cutting yet. Just a little pressure on the thumb stud toward the wrist and it pops right open. Perfect for slicing a box at work or turning a stick into a toothpick during warm, outdoor stogie sessions.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #382
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Which CRK is that Mychal? I've heard good things. I went Strider, I like the Hinderer XM-18's as well. Someday I'll bite the bullet. It would be a dream to have all three (Strider SMF/Large Sebenza/XM-18 or 24)

Looks great though
Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #383
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Which CRK is that Mychal? I've heard good things. I went Strider, I like the Hinderer XM-18's as well. Someday I'll bite the bullet. It would be a dream to have all three (Strider SMF/Large Sebenza/XM-18 or 24)

Looks great though
Bill it is a left handed Umnumzaan. Slightly bigger than the sebby and heftier. Hinderer knives are amazing, but that is double the price of this and I could not see how it was better.
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #384
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Bill it is a left handed Umnumzaan. Slightly bigger than the sebby and heftier. Hinderer knives are amazing, but that is double the price of this and I could not see how it was better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah they are definitely not easy to score for any decent price. If you are lottery odds lucky you'll pay $400.

I knew something was different, lefty that was it. Bigger and heftier then the Sebenza? Nice! I always worried that the Sebenza wouldn't handle the abUSE I give it.

I think you picked a winner
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #385
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

It's kind of a big deal
Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #386
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

Quote:
Yeah they are definitely not easy to score for any decent price. If you are lottery odds lucky you'll pay $400.

I knew something was different, lefty that was it. Bigger and heftier then the Sebenza? Nice! I always worried that the Sebenza wouldn't handle the abUSE I give it.

I think you picked a winner
Thanks I am pretty excited about it. A Guy on bladeforums did a long term in-depth review and did everything from cutting fruit to digging in the dirt, light sheet metal cutting and the knife held up like brand new. I have literally never seen or held a better knife, right from the moment I opened the box.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #387
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

Picked up this Benchmade 950BK Osborne Rift. My first Benchmade I really like the Axis lock!!
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #388
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Just had to share this with you all.

Great Eastern Cutlery Tidioute Jigged Brazilian Cherry Wood Lockback

I just reviewed it in my blog and it scored 9.9 Steel Sahlutes!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #389
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Saw a CRKT even one of my 9 year old twins thought was beautiful. May have to pull the trigger on it next month.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #390
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

Anyone have any recommendations for a small EDC for days that I can't go with my SOG Flash II? I looked at the Flash I and the Spyderco dragonfly but I'm not in love with either.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #391
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbaseg View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a small EDC for days that I can't go with my SOG Flash II? I looked at the Flash I and the Spyderco dragonfly but I'm not in love with either.
What blade length, and what price? Heavy duty knife or just a light use?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #392
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

Quote:
My small lightweight carry is a kershaw skyline. It is a fantastic knife and at $30 on Amazon it is my go to travel knife. The price makes me not worried to lose it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #393
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

my EDC.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #394
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
clarification - what are the limiting factors that prevent you from carrying the Flash II on those days, and what specifications must its substitute hold in order to avoid those same complications?

I really like a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian 556SBK for my EDC. draws and opens fast and clean. No auto, but I'll bet you can get it open almost as fast as an auto, and close it 20x faster. You can read my full review in this thread back a couple dozen posts. She's not the prettiest girl at the dance, but I like her
Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #395
tenbaseg

Quote:
What blade length, and what price? Heavy duty knife or just a light use?
I'm thinking about 2.5" for light use.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #396
tenbaseg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
clarification - what are the limiting factors that prevent you from carrying the Flash II on those days, and what specifications must its substitute hold in order to avoid those same complications?
Really it's just the size. I'm either wearing khakis for work or just don't want to carry something as big. Function-wise, the only thing I don't like are liner locks. I just can't get used to them. No combo blades either.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #397
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
I'm thinking about 2.5" for light use.
I'd grab any Benchmade in D2 Tool Steel. The blades tend to hold up for quite a long time and Benchmade has a great warranty.

Shame they discontinued the Benchmade Mini-Nitrous Stryker as that would have been a perfect knife for you. It was available in many configurations too. PE Satin spear point or tanto.....
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #398
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Really it's just the size. I'm either wearing khakis for work or just don't want to carry something as big. Function-wise, the only thing I don't like are liner locks. I just can't get used to them. No combo blades either.
AMEN! I can't stand em either.

Which is unfortunate, because there's a lot more "slim" liner lock options available!!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #399
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Color wise, are you looking for something that doesnt have a black handle?

not sure, maybe that would look better with kakis?

BIG drawback to the benchmade for your purpose is that unlike the SOG which sits flush with the pocket line, the benchmade pokes out just a tad. I PREFER this for easy draw. I've got a SOG Vulcan (sits flush) which I really like... but never ended up carrying because it always felt unbalanced when drawing it out - hand was only gripping the very end of it. BUT for purposes of work and kakis..... flush has its advantages

(you can see what I'm talking about if you look at the clip in the pic below - screws ot the end all sit above the pocket line)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #400
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

SoG does use that low rider pocket clip that keeps 100% of the knife in your pocket. I just don't like the cheap steel and cheap handles. They seem very unbalanced to me due to the Zytel handles.

I don't mind having some of the knife stick out, and sometimes you can be quite surprised at how these larger heavier knives carry.

I don't know if your oppose to it but for light carry I usually have a Microtech Ultratech. Very slim and very light but of course it is an automatic out the front knife. I've carried it for 2 years and haven't had a problem yet. Get an old model '00-'05 and they are built very well, some of the newer ones....not so much